talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other Matches - Saturday 23rd November, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dan said:

I can see it happening as well for the same reason, however, I think it would go tits up.

Everton are in a cycle that frustrates even me and what's it to me?

Leicester were the same between Ranieri and Rodgers, just not for as long. Just got to get the right person in.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Leicester were the same between Ranieri and Rodgers, just not for as long. Just got to get the right person in.

In fairness, at least for all the football was rubbish under Puel, the recruitment was strong and we brought in some genuinely excellent players in that period that Puel himself just couldn't utilise properly (as well as the ones already there). Are you really one good coach away from being a top 4 contender? I think it'll take a bigger fix than that personally.

Rodgers to Leicester made perfect sense. I can't think of a more fitting appointment to a group of players in the last couple of years.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dan said:

In fairness, at least for all the football was rubbish under Puel, the recruitment was strong and we brought in some genuinely excellent players in that period that Puel himself just couldn't utilise properly (as well as the ones already there). Are you really one good coach away from being a top 4 contender? I think it'll take a bigger fix than that personally.

Rodgers to Leicester made perfect sense. I can't think of a more fitting appointment to a group of players in the last couple of years.

Nobody would have said that about you lot last season either though. You had a few clearly good players like Vardy, Chilwell, Maguire, Pereira and some young players around the first team squad but you were going round in circles before Rodgers came in.

We've got lots of quality in our squad (Digne, Richarlison, Sigurdsson, Pickford, Gomes) and a number of young players with a high ceiling (Kean, Davies, Holgate, Calvert-Lewin). That means a lot of potential with the right coach, as you've seen at Leicester.

The quality is definitely there. What has made our season so shockingly poor is the number of times we've lost against sides who barely have 2 or 3 players who would get into our side. We just manage to look collectively average and lose our heads at the worst times in games.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Nobody would have said that about you lot last season either though. You had a few clearly good players like Vardy, Chilwell, Maguire, Pereira and some young players around the first team squad but you were going round in circles before Rodgers came in.

We've got lots of quality in our squad (Digne, Richarlison, Sigurdsson, Pickford, Gomes) and a number of young players with a high ceiling (Kean, Davies, Holgate, Calvert-Lewin). That means a lot of potential with the right coach, as you've seen at Leicester.

The quality is definitely there. What has made our season so shockingly poor is the number of times we've lost against sides who barely have 2 or 3 players who would get into our side. We just manage to look collectively average and lose our heads at the worst times in games.

The recruitment wasn't really slated last season, a couple of the signings were (Ward was too expensive for what he is, Ghezzal was shit) but you could quite clearly see we'd made some pretty good additions, being under-utilised by a manager who just wasn't suited to a lot of them. To be fair to Puel, he did at least get the ball rolling for us being a more possession based side, he just couldn't coach us into a team that created chances with the ball. What's Everton's identity as a squad? What's the style of play?

To be fair, I agree that a new manager probably could get more from your squad - a better coach could make that group into a dangerous side, although I don't think you've got as many top players as we have. That said there's no way you should be as low as you are - you've had a very favourable set of fixtures too.

I was confident you'd win Saturday. Bloke at my work was asking for help on last man standing (planning ahead by about 6 weeks which is a cardinal sin) and we went with Everton xD in fairness, he was going to choose Arsenal otherwise.

Archived