• Portugal
    • Germany
    • France
    • England
    • Spain
    • Belgium
    • Others

4 hours ago, Ploughendplonker said:

If it's a UK bookies it's tough to take the odds too seriously as the number of people having a patriotic punt on England naturally narrows down the odds. Would be interesting to see how high we are with bookies in other European nations. 

Most bookies had England or Belgium as favourites when I posted that. 9 months later, it's mostly France with the rare few like Betfair and Paddypower with England still ahead.

BpLaGw0.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Machado said:

Most bookies had England or Belgium as favourites when I posted that. 9 months later, it's mostly France with the rare few like Betfair and Paddypower with England still ahead.

BpLaGw0.png

But the odds on England will always be short with UK bookies as there's loads of English people who will bet on England (like I'm sure people in France bet on the French, Germans on Germany, etc..). I'm not being pessimistic but surely France, Belgium, Italy are ahead of us. And surely we're not more fancied (by European journalists) more than Germany or Spain?

I look at it in teirs at the minute:

France, Belgium, Portugal and Italy are your top tier teams. You could argue a strong case now for any of them but they all have their flaws.

England, Spain and Croatia are in the next teir. Teams in a stage of improvement that have too many faults in their starting xi to see them win it on paper but with a bit of good fortune could find themselves building momentum that sees them through.

I'll be very surprised if anybody else wins it. The likes of Ukraine, Denmark or Turkey could go on to have really good tournaments in contrast to their international standing but its a big ask for any underdog to win it in this new format.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I look at it in teirs at the minute:

France, Belgium, Portugal and Italy are your top tier teams. You could argue a strong case now for any of them but they all have their flaws.

England, Spain and Croatia are in the next teir. Teams in a stage of improvement that have too many faults in their starting xi to see them win it on paper but with a bit of good fortune could find themselves building momentum that sees them through.

I'll be very surprised if anybody else wins it. The likes of Ukraine, Denmark or Turkey could go on to have really good tournaments in contrast to their international standing but its a big ask for any underdog to win it in this new format.

Where would you put Germany and Netherlands?

I may be underrating Italy but I'd put them in the England/Spain tier.

France/Belgium/Portugal definitely top tier though.

I don't think Denmark have enough about them to progress deep in to the tournament. 

55 minutes ago, Stan said:

Where would you put Germany and Netherlands?

I may be underrating Italy but I'd put them in the England/Spain tier.

France/Belgium/Portugal definitely top tier though.

I don't think Denmark have enough about them to progress deep in to the tournament. 

Both Germany and Netherlands are on a downward trajectory due to poor leadership and the sooner new management enters the scene the better it will be for everybody concerned. Joachim Low is too busy sniffing his fingers after plucking his bum hairs on the touchline as opposed to making sensible tactical decisions and Frank de Boer was quite rightly dubbed by Jose Mourinho as the worst Manager ever.

They may both be serious contenders for the World Cup, but the sooner they get this phase out the way the better.

Worth money on Turkey getting to a semi-final imo, assuming they finish 2nd in their group they have a fairly decent run in and have the second youngest squad in the tournament with the lowest average minutes played by squad....so energy to burn whilst everyone else is already burnt out. Ukraine also.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dan said:

England with 0 votes out of 24 on a largely English forum xD dear oh dear.

We're not the best team so it's understandable. And don't have a manager seemingly capable of getting the best out of the attacking quality we have. 

On 10/06/2021 at 18:45, The Palace Fan said:

Both Germany and Netherlands are on a downward trajectory due to poor leadership and the sooner new management enters the scene the better it will be for everybody concerned. Joachim Low is too busy sniffing his fingers after plucking his bum hairs on the touchline as opposed to making sensible tactical decisions and Frank de Boer was quite rightly dubbed by Jose Mourinho as the worst Manager ever.

They may both be serious contenders for the World Cup, but the sooner they get this phase out the way the better.

Honestly, I think Germany or the Netherlands are more likely to accidentally win this tournament by accident with shite management than England are to do it with their best team in years. 

On 07/06/2021 at 20:31, Spike said:

I cannot support England from a moral or ethical point of view, so I hope Wales or Scotland wins because it'll be funny.

Well you have mid table teams winning the Champions League so why not :what:

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Honestly, I think Germany or the Netherlands are more likely to accidentally win this tournament by accident with shite management than England are to do it with their best team in years. 

Portugal winning it given how shit they were in the group stages shows anything is possible.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived