talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - GK - Round of 16

football forum

Vote for the better goalkeeper from each pairing.  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Oliver Kahn or Gianluigi Buffon?

• Oliver Kahn
    • Gianluigi Buffon
  2. 2. David De Gea or Peter Schmeichel?

• David De Gea
    • Peter Schmeichel
  3. 3. Keylor Navas or Dida?

4. 4. Iker Casillas or Marc Andre Ter Stegen?

• Iker Casillas
    • Marc Andre Ter Stegen
  5. 5. Victor Valdes or Manuel Neuer?

6. 6. Julio Cesar or Thibaut Courtois?

• Julio Cesar
    • Thibaut Courtois
  7. 7. Petr Cech or Edwin Van Der Sar?

8. 8. Pepe Reina or Fabien Barthez?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Subscriber

Please make your vote for each of the 8 matchups to determine who will make it into the quarter-finals.

Some cracking ties in there to get us started with the all-Man Utd clash between Schmeichel and De Gea, the time travel Clasico between Casillas and Ter Stegen and the titanic clash between Oliver Kahn and Gianluigi Buffon.

Have fun picking over these, let's get some heated debate on the go!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kahn or Buffon? If it was from my time as a whole, then Kahn,  but in terms of this century, then it would be Buffon as he's been active for all of this century.

Schmeichel or de Gea? Schmeichel was by far a better goalkeeper, but that was in the 90s so you'd have to go for de Gea just on the fact that Schmeichel isn't this century and probably shouldn't be on the list.

Navas or Dida? Navas, he's very underrated. He was everything for Costa Rica in the world cup and Levante before his big move and has been an unsung hero for Real Madrid over the years.

Casillas or Ter Stegen? I actually prefer Ter Stegen in terms of his style, but you can't argue with what Casillas has achieved and if football ended tomorrow, then he'd obviously go down as the bigger name. Ter Stegen does have a long career ahead of him though.

Valdes or Neuer? As much as I love Valdes, Neuer is the better keeper.

Cesar or Courtois? Courtois was class at Atletico but has lost his way since, while Cesar is one of the more underlooked keepers of his generation and would win hands down for me.

Cech or Van der Sar? Tough one as both were class, but I'd go for the Dutchman.

Reina or Barthez? Both underrated keepers, but I'd go for the latter, Barthez.

• Subscriber

Some of these were tricky.

Kahn vs Buffon - I went for Kahn as I remember him being an absolute legend of a goalkeeper while I was growing up. He was revered by my cousin who wanted to be a goalkeeper almost as much as Schmeichel which is surprising as he is a Man Utd fan. I probably haven't seen the best of Buffon (or Kahn though to be fair).

De Gea vs Schmeichel - I voted Schmeichel but it would be interesting to ask this one again in say five years' time. Right now we think of De Gea as a declining force but if you look back at his whole career he's been a top goalkeeper.

Navas vs Dida - Never quite rated Navas as a proper top drawer goalkeeper though I would agree that he's been unappreciated in his time at Real Madrid, voted for Dida.

Casillas vs Ter Stegen - Casillas is one of the contenders for this position overall. Ter Stegen could come into the conversation at the end of his career but has only emerged recently at the moment, so I voted Casillas.

Valdes vs Neuer - Voted Neuer who I think himself is unappreciated even as he is still playing. Still a top class goalkeeper now.

Cesar vs Courtois - Never saw Courtois at Atletico and he hasn't struck me as an elite keeper for either Chelsea or Real Madrid so Julio Cesar got my vote.

Cech vs Van Der Sar - This was probably the hardest one for me as both of them in their prime were absolutely elite. I went with Cech just because I think he spent more of his career at the top of his game.

Reina vs Barthez - Surprised to be voting for the ex-Liverpool player but Barthez always seemed a bit erratic to me in his Man Utd years. Perhaps I just remember the less generous phase of his career. Reina has had real longevity as a nearly elite goalkeeper, but I wouldn't expect to see him in the last 4 for this position either.

Kahn or Buffon? Buffon deserves credit for the longevity but Kahn imo the superior shot stopper and probably the best I ever witnessed.

Schmeichel or de Gea? Agree with Chris. This should probably be Oblak vs De Gea. Voted Schmeichel here anyway.

Navas or Dida? Coin flip but voted Dida.

Casillas or Ter Stegen? Casillas more impactful for both Real Madrid and Spain to help them win trophies than Ter Stegen ever was.

Valdes or Neuer? Not a question.

Cech or Van der Sar? I'll go for Van der Sar as they're similar levelof goalkeeping but the later seems to have some superior leadership qualities.

Reina or Barthez? Reina all day, more solid.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Howler from me/us to omit Oblak to be fair. Think I remember somebody mentioning him, so my bad if so and I've missed him off.

No-one mentioned him so you're a very lucky boy.

• Subscriber

Okay then, with 18 votes cast (decent effort but we can get more) each tie has a clear winner and we can confirm the eight goalkeepers left to enter the quarter-final draw.

Oliver Kahn 2-16 Gianluigi Buffon

David De Gea 5-13 Peter Schmeichel

Keylor Navas 5-13 Dida

Iker Casillas 15-3 Marc Andre Ter Stegen

Victor Valdes 3-15 Manuel Neuer

Julio Cesar 15-3 Thibaut Courtois

Petr Cech 7-11 Edwin Van Der Sar

Pepe Reina 11-7 Fabien Barthez

Thanks for voting chaps, look out for the quarter-final draw, arriving imminently.

Archived