talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rhian Brewster at Sheffield United

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could get around this if it meant bringing in someone new to the squad to provide depth to the front three.

But I'd be a little bit sad not to have seen Brewster getting any serious minutes for us in a league game given her seemed so consistent in preseason.

I don't think our run of fixtures has allowed us to give a player like Brewster minutes in the league. He's also not exactly set the world alight when he's had a chance in the League Cup. Although his performance vs Arsenal was much better than his previous. I'm not sure what the future holds for him in all honesty

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think our run of fixtures has allowed us to give a player like Brewster minutes in the league. He's also not exactly set the world alight when he's had a chance in the League Cup. Although his performance vs Arsenal was much better than his previous. I'm not sure what the future holds for him in all honesty

It must have been a bit touch and go over the summer whether we promoted him or signed for depth... Needless to say we are in the title race again so the fixtures won't be getting easier, and if we can't risk giving him minutes now we surely can't feel good about the possibility of turning to him in a few months when one of our key players is injured.

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

It must have been a bit touch and go over the summer whether we promoted him or signed for depth... Needless to say we are in the title race again so the fixtures won't be getting easier, and if we can't risk giving him minutes now we surely can't feel good about the possibility of turning to him in a few months when one of our key players is injured.

Well there are a couple of home games coming up that might see him get an opportunity depending on how the games pan out. He potentially gets two or three opportunities before January and the club will make a decision after that

He is a proper talent, but what chance does he have getting into a a front three like ours? None. Even a seasoned International like Shaq cant get a look in. 

This lad was the youth world cup golden boot winner yet cant even get on our bench. He will be ace for someone but unfortunately I dont reckon it will be with us. 

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

He is a proper talent, but what chance does he have getting into a a front three like ours? None. Even a seasoned International like Shaq cant get a look in. 

This lad was the youth world cup golden boot winner yet cant even get on our bench. He will be ace for someone but unfortunately I dont reckon it will be with us. 

If anyone could bring him through it would be Klopp given his record working with youth. But as we do become more competitive over an extended period it does become harder to give those toner prospects the playing time to develop... You wouldn't want to see it end up like where Madrid and Barca have got to of late and be up getting little value out of their academy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Got to be honest, I think Liverpool should cut their losses with Origi and start using this guy off the bench.

Very impressed from what I saw. And I like that he has a bit of a confidence/arrogance about him. It shows he believes in his ability.

He's been to Swansea, it is clear for all to see he is a talent. Yeah he could have a season at another PL club but unless Liverpool have a planned signing up front, I just think they should have faith in the youth and turn to Brewster as a viable option.

He can be a great impact in the latter stages of games running at tired defences and the only way he will get better is to blood him in like what happened to Greenwood.

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Got to be honest, I think Liverpool should cut their losses with Origi and start using this guy off the bench.

Very impressed from what I saw. And I like that he has a bit of a confidence/arrogance about him. It shows he believes in his ability.

He's been to Swansea, it is clear for all to see he is a talent. Yeah he could have a season at another PL club but unless Liverpool have a planned signing up front, I just think they should have faith in the youth and turn to Brewster as a viable option.

He can be a great impact in the latter stages of games running at tired defences and the only way he will get better is to blood him in like what happened to Greenwood.

Agree with all of this. Brewster has been lethal at Swansea and has a better eye for goal than Origi. He’s also not affected by the occasion, he has plenty of confidence in himself and you want to see that from a young lad. 

Don’t want to see him on loan at a PL club if it means we stick with Origi. Like you said, only consider sending him out again if we are bringing somebody in. 

I've not seen anything of Brewster at Swansea apart from a couple of goals. Earlier in the season when he got a chance with us though he still looked some way short. Always difficult when coming into a mixed bag of a side in the League Cup though or when you're only getting 15-20 minutes here and there. But that's exactly what he's going to have to contend with next season if he stays. Maybe he'll suit our style more than Origi does but I'm still not convinced he wouldn't benefit more from a loan at a PL side or that he'd have more of an impact than Origi has over the last couple of years.

I’m almost certain he would get more goals from the bench that Origi does for us. He’s always ready to pounce on any little trickle of a chance he gets. Origi dithers a bit more. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I’m almost certain he would get more goals from the bench that Origi does for us. He’s always ready to pounce on any little trickle of a chance he gets. Origi dithers a bit more. 

There's not really any evidence to suggest he would or wouldn't. Origi would score for fun in the Championship too. The only evidence we have of both in a Liverpool shirt is the League Cup game against Arsenal and it was Origi dragging Liverpool over the line that night.

Brewster is clearly talented but I'm not sure sitting on the bench would be any good for his development. 

The domestic window shuts in October I believe? So that would give Klopp a decent amount of time after the season has started to decide whether he's worth keeping around this season or if he'd benefit from a loan.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m with @LFCMike here. He’s clearly talented, we want that talent to be developed. He’s at an age where we want him to get as much first team experience as a starter as possible - and preferably at a club that plays decent football.

Sounds like an extension with Swansea until January would be best for all parties given how he's progressed wuth Steve Cooper throughout his career.

8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Sounds like an extension with Swansea until January would be best for all parties given how he's progressed wuth Steve Cooper throughout his career.

Yeah, I’d agree with that and that opens the possibility that there’s a role in the squad for him by January.

I think Klopp might want him back for pre-season in normal situations, he likes testing the kids in friendlies, but the season starts pretty soon so I’m not sure he’ll treat it like a normal summer.

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

There's not really any evidence to suggest he would or wouldn't. Origi would score for fun in the Championship too. The only evidence we have of both in a Liverpool shirt is the League Cup game against Arsenal and it was Origi dragging Liverpool over the line that night.

Brewster is clearly talented but I'm not sure sitting on the bench would be any good for his development. 

The domestic window shuts in October I believe? So that would give Klopp a decent amount of time after the season has started to decide whether he's worth keeping around this season or if he'd benefit from a loan.

What about Curtis Jones or Neco Williams? Do we send those two out on loan as well?

I am all for the idea of youngsters going out on loan to develop, but with the club seemingly not planning on making any additions to the attacking back ups I thought the whole idea for Klopp was to use the talents we have in the youth. 

If they are good enough to make an impact, then they are old enough. Mason Greenwood is tearing it up for Utd at the age of 18 cause he was given a chance. I’m not saying Brewster has that level of talent, but he can certainly make an impact this season. Origi gets minutes near enough every single game, so it’s not like Brewster isn’t gonna kick a ball on a regular basis. I’d argue that having him around the first team, knowing he has a chance to get on that pitch is best. It works for Curtis Jones and the likes, there’s no reason it can’t for Brewster.

The fact of the matter is that we are gonna need him. Shaqiri might be on his way out, even if he stays Klopp clearly doesn’t fancy him that much with the lack of minutes he plays. Ox hasn’t looked good when utilised in the front three, he’s better playing deeper and Origi massively blows hot and cold. But I don’t want to get into that sort of discussion again 😂

Id rather have him on the bench, and I Hope Klopp thinks so too......IF we don’t have anybody lined up to bring in that is. 

Curtis Jones and Neco Williams made more of their chances in the first team, tbh. I know Brewster is highly rated, and he looks talented based off his clips with Swansea... but it’s hard to say “if they’re old enough to make an impact, they’re good enough” if not all of them have made an impact while playing for us. I’d like him to make the grade and maybe him going out on loan gives him the development necessary to where he can make an impact. Rather than just show glimpses of what they can do but never really look like they belong in the first team, which has happened to a lot of players that come through (Suso, although he got better by moving away... and Solanke... who still looks raw and barely has developed).

But it really all depends on what happens this summer. If we’re not spending anything on depth at all... I think we’ve got to keep him because Origi’s not the highest quality backup and it’s worth figuring out if Brewster can do his job. If we sign a backup striker, it’s better for him to go on loan than be 4th choice imo.

• The title was changed to Rhian Brewster - Liverpool Future Uncertain

Yeah, Brewster has never really had a chance with the first place team players around him so was basically banging his head against a brick wall.

If for instance he came on for Bobby with 20 minutes left with Mane and Salah etc either side of him, instead if 16 - 18 year olds,  I think you would see his contribution improve drastically. 

18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yeah, Brewster has never really had a chance with the first place team players around him so was basically banging his head against a brick wall.

If for instance he came on for Bobby with 20 minutes left with Mane and Salah etc either side of him, instead if 16 - 18 year olds,  I think you would see his contribution improve drastically. 

Yeah pretty much this. You can’t say Brewster has had the same sort of chances as Jones and Williams has. He had to feed on scraps in his few appearances playing with the second/ third team. Give him the chances Origi gets and I would put money on him scoring plenty from the bench. He’d be a fantastic impact player for us next season. 

• The title was changed to Rhian Brewster - Set to Sign For Sheff Utd
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived