Black Friday

football forum

• The title was changed to Black Friday
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've always felt like Black Friday doesn't ever really produce that big of savings & that it's just stores hyping things up because if you hype up sales you get loads of people to turn out for the "massive savings." 

Oh god yeah. It's all really clever marketing - and even then it's not that clever!

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've always felt like Black Friday doesn't ever really produce that big of savings & that it's just stores hyping things up because if you hype up sales you get loads of people to turn out for the "massive savings." 

Think there was a news story or investigation in to supermarket offers (not only associated with Black Friday) where retailers would slowly hike prices up in few months leading up to Xmas so that when their prices are 'slashed' or 'reduced' it just looks like they've brought them down but it's just back down to normal price or not much under it. 

Could call it clever marketing. Customers can be savvy too though. Just because a deal may appear good or shiny doesn't mean it always is. 

I've been tracking some perfume for the missus for a good couple months on a few different sites and it was regularly priced at £60-70. Black Friday comes along and its now £40 so snapped that up. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

where retailers would slowly hike prices up in few months leading up to Xmas so that when their prices are 'slashed' or 'reduced' it just looks like they've brought them down but it's just back down to normal price or not much under it. 

Could call it clever marketing. Customers can be savvy too though. Just because a deal may appear good or shiny doesn't mean it always is. 

Stealth Pricing.... It's a trick they pull with foodstuffs a lot in particular, keep the price the same to appear as though you are still getting a good deal but reducing the weight and size of the product bit by bit.. 

Quality Street for example has gone a bit like this.. 

2005 1,700g

2010 1,300g

2011 1,000g

2012/13 820g

2014 780g

2015 756g 

2019 650g

The other reason they ship stuff out cheap is to make way for the new technologies coming on the market.. normally the 3 phases are what you have available right now followed by what's about to be released onto the market and the third is what is being lined up as the next big thing... whatever we buy this year will be out performed by something new in less than a year and become the next 'big thing' everyone is supposed to own.. If you are anything like me you can still survive on technology from the 80's B|

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.27b1965f5d2bf54206514cf6d0b7f440.png

How Did Black Friday Get Its Name?

When people emerge from residential hibernation the day after Thanksgiving, they pour into shopping centres. Consumers spent an estimated $59.6 billion over the holiday weekend in 2018, bolstering the bottom line for retailers like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and online outlets.

If Black Friday is such a financial benefit, why is it called Black Friday? That modifier was usually reserved for cash-draining events like the Black Thursday that precipitated the 1929 stock market crash or the 1869 gold market collapse that led to financial ruin.

It turns out that the label didn’t always have the positive holiday spending connotation it enjoys today. Beginning in the 1950s, according to Snopes, employers and media began observing the trend of people calling in sick the day after Thanksgiving—traditionally not a paid holiday—to give themselves a four-day weekend. For businesses, that Friday was indeed bleak, as productivity slowed to a crawl. (Eventually, offices capitulated and gave employees the day off.)

Law enforcement also had reason to be disgruntled with that Friday. With everyone skipping work and kids off of school, traffic in major cities became a problem. Police in Philadelphia who were forced to deal with logjams and work mandatory shifts to cope with the congestion started to dread the day. Again, the “Black Friday” label seemed appropriate.

Eventually, this negative term spread to media and via word-of-mouth. Retailers in Philadelphia even tried to rephrase it to “Big Friday” to avoid the association with disaster. But it was Black Friday that stuck. It soon became synonymous with record profits, and the term was permanently adopted for the frenzied rush of shoppers using their day off to get their shopping done.

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Has the Amazon deals already started? The main one is next Thursday night, Friday morning onwards? 

Some Amazon ones have, yes. They're doing an actual 'Amazon week' officially from tomorrow though.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Anyone seen any worthwhile deals banded about or looking for anything in particular?

Looking for Asics trainers for training. Am due a new pair and a fleece training top as it's starting to get nippy outside.

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I never really get caught into the hype of Black Friday. 

As for Christmas shopping, I am nowhere near finishing ... i best crack on actually. xD

I'll have a bottle of rum or JD please mate. Thanks.

Archived