talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unai Emery Sacked By Arsenal; Mikel Arteta Hired

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite interesting listening to Garry Neville. I personally like him i don't think he is na know it all unlike a lot of pundit's and doesn't tell manager's what they should be doing. I don't know who was in charge of recruitment but it has to get better. I'm not sure if anyone could do a good job with those defenders. At the same time I'm sure the manager has at least some say in transfers so we need a very strong minded coach who will not except defenders of that standard. I'm sure Edo loves arsenal so I think it can be sorted with the right coach

34 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

There'll be absolute fucking riots at Goodison if Arteta goes Arsenal and we end up with Moyes, Hughes or Unsworth for the rest of the season.

Arteta is untested. Don't know why people are so keen on him. 

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Arteta is untested. Don't know why people are so keen in him. 

I wouldn't want him also as he has no experience, I would prefer a younger coach if they are the main coach already somewhere else as otherwise it is too much of a risk.

1 hour ago, Panna King said:

I rather Arsenal get a young up and coming coach, they need to bring through youth and restructure the club.  We are not going to do much this season with these players unless a miracle happens and they turn their poor form around and cut out the mistakes.   

You've mentioned youth before. What exactly do you mean? Arsenal need ready established players to bring through youth. You can't just rely on a good youth team coming through even if you have an amazing acccedemy as the players just leave and go to clubs that are winning things.  Players generally aren't patient enough. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m not surprised he was sacked. Also don’t understand the clamour for Arteta considering he’s never managed before - Arsenal’s a big job for a first job in management

Well he managed one game for city against Lyon at home and they lost 

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You've mentioned youth before. What exactly do you mean? Arsenal need ready established players to bring through youth. You can't just rely on a good youth team coming through even if you have an amazing acccedemy as the players just leave and go to clubs that are winning things.  Players generally aren't patient enough. 

I don’t think the fans are patient enough either tbh

What will probably happen is ljunberg will get the job. We will have a great run. Arsenal TV will say it was the right decision to get him. We will then loose a load of games and then they will say it was obvious he was the wrong man for the job.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think the fans are patient enough either tbh

No they're not. Football fans are never patient. I'm pretty certain some liverpoll fans wanted klopp out at some point.

17 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well Arsenal have established players already, Mustafi, Auba, Laca, Xhaka, Luiz, Sokratis etc look what they are doing!   What I mean is that we need to bring in coach that comes from a background of bringing through youth through a certain system, like Dutch and German clubs.   I do not mean to just bring through youth to sell on but to have an identity and an understanding of the club, a bit like Barcelona had before they went down a different route now by splashing silly money about.  Arsenal always had a core in the past of players they bought through the club until Wenger came along and he opted to scout Europe more than use his own youth players from the club.    I just want to see players at the club with a hunger, we have been so long stuck in this mediocre buble just plodding along and even now it doesn't really seem the players really care if they win anything or not as they are earning ridiculous money for not actually achieving anything.    The only shiny thing Auba has since he joined Arsenal are his 2 cars he has wrapped, we have far too many average players at this club who have had it too easy.

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No they're not. Football fans are never patient. I'm pretty certain some liverpoll fans wanted klopp out at some point.

I don’t think that happened xD - Rodgers and Hodgson were questioned more by the fan base, not a guy who cracked Bayern Munich’s dominance

3 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Klopp almost got Dortmund relegated as well :ph34r:

Didn’t they come 7th? Didn’t he also have the problem of his big rival taking all his good players? Managing in Germany and not being at Munich seems shit tbh

10 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Well Arsenal have established players already, Mustafi, Auba, Laca, Xhaka, Luiz, Sokratis etc look what they are doing!   What I mean is that we need to bring in coach that comes from a background of bringing through youth through a certain system, like Dutch and German clubs.   I do not mean to just bring through youth to sell on but to have an identity and an understanding of the club, a bit like Barcelona had before they went down a different route now by splashing silly money about.  Arsenal always had a core in the past of players they bought through the club until Wenger came along and he opted to scout Europe more than use his own youth players from the club.    I just want to see players at the club with a hunger, we have been so long stuck in this mediocre buble just plodding along and even now it doesn't really seem the players really care if they win anything or not as they are earning ridiculous money for not actually achieving anything.    The only shiny thing Auba has since he joined Arsenal are his 2 cars he has wrapped, we have far too many average players at this club who have had it too easy.

Mate that is so naive if you think we will win the league with youth. It's works in league's that aren't so strong it doesn't work in the premier League. When I say established players I mean established top players not ones like you mentioned. What you said will get us to top 4 that's the best it will do. Wenger scouted youth across europe because the youth we had wasn't good enough

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate that is so naive if you think we will win the league with youth. It's works in league's that aren't so strong it doesn't work in the premier League. I mean established top players not ones like you mentioned. What you said will get us to top 4 that's the best it will do. 

No you are misunderstanding the point, I said we need a core of players that have come through the club not an actual team of 11 youth players.  We also have no leaders whatsoever and a lot of players are so out of touch with the fan base.    The team we have at the moment are so mentally weak and average with a lot of crap floating about in it also.    

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Arteta is untested. Don't know why people are so keen on him. 

I don't know if Arsenal fans have the same affinity to him as we do, but I'd want him at Everton just because I want a reason to connect with the club again.

Arteta is a risk and so was Silva, but my argument has been that I've spent most of my life watching us finish reliably as best of the rest, winning nothing and getting knocked out in the first knockout stage of the Europa League every three seasons or so. If we want to improve a tried and tested manager who can get more or less the best out of the club, that's what we'll keep seeing, because there's no way Everton attract a manager who has a track record and the ability to achieve anything more than that. We need to keep making risky/exciting appointments, because we might underperform, but you also might strike gold and find someone who can get a bit more out of the club. Arteta is a prime example of someone where there's enough evidence that he could potentially over-achieve, being a club favourite and having Guardiola as a mentor, even if you look logically at the pros and cons, it's very clear that he could just as easily flop.

I don't care though. I'd rather take a significant risk of another flop for someone who at least could be special, rather than a proven 'okay' manager who we know isn't special, who won't finish below 10th but also won't push us on further than the minor rounds of the Europa League. This is why, even though Allardyce did his job effectively when he was our manager (better than Martinez, Koeman or Silva), he wasn't given the extra season that he arguably deserved, because you know he's never finishing above 7th, and we've had our fill of that management under Moyes for 10 years.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know if Arsenal fans have the same affinity to him as we do, but I'd want him at Everton just because I want a reason to connect with the club again.

Arteta is a risk and so was Silva, but my argument has been that I've spent most of my life watching us finish reliably as best of the rest, winning nothing and getting knocked out in the first knockout stage of the Europa League every three seasons or so. If we want to improve a tried and tested manager who can get more or less the best out of the club, that's what we'll keep seeing, because there's no way Everton attract a manager who has a track record and the ability to achieve anything more than that. We need to keep making risky/exciting appointments, because we might underperform, but you also might strike gold and find someone who can get a bit more out of the club. Arteta is a prime example of someone where there's enough evidence that he could potentially over-achieve, being a club favourite and having Guardiola as a mentor, even if you look logically at the pros and cons, it's very clear that he could just as easily flop.

I don't care though. I'd rather take a significant risk of another flop for someone who at least could be special, rather than a proven 'okay' manager who we know isn't special, who won't finish below 10th but also won't push us on further than the minor rounds of the Europa League. This is why, even though Allardyce did his job effectively when he was our manager (better than Martinez, Koeman or Silva), he wasn't given the extra season that he arguably deserved, because you know he's never finishing above 7th, and we've had our fill of that management under Moyes for 10 years.

With the greatest of respect to Everton. (I like Everton) arteta does make more sense for Everton. Like you said you will struggle to attract a top established manager so you will be left with manager's like allardyce for example. So someone like arteta makes sense for you. It's a risk worth taking for you. I hope that doesn't come across as disrespectful.

I do feel like you are being disrespectful to Moyes though. He was you best manager manager since the mid 90s I would imagine. I think Everton really would have struggled to do better than what he did

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

With the greatest of respect to Everton. (I like Everton) arteta does make more sense for Everton. Like you said you will struggle to attract a top established manager so you will be left with manager's like allardyce for example. So someone like arteta makes sense for you. It's a risk worth taking for you. I hope that doesn't come across as disrespectful.

I do feel like you are being disrespectful to Moyes though. He was you best manager manager since the mid 90s I would imagine. I think Everton really would have struggled to do better than what he did

I respect the job Moyes did. It was a good job, especially in the context of our finances at the time. I'll be the first to call anyone out that uses his post-Everton record to rewrite history with respect to his time with us. He won Manager of the Year 3-4 times and deserved it. Sacking him at the time would have been madness because our finances were such that one or two bad summers of recruitment could genuinely have seen us in a relegation fight. Things have changed now that we can get away with it more due to having the spare money to paper over the cracks if we get in trouble.

All I'm saying is that I don't want another "you know what you're getting" manager because I want to be excited supporting my club. I want to believe that something special could happen rather than knowing exactly which part of the table we'll finish every season and that we have no realistic chance of winning a trophy.

The other reason for Arteta is that the fans love him and he's one of the only people who could come in and genuinely win the crowd over unconditionally, even if his CV doesn't justify it. Our fans have been apathetic for about 5 years now. The atmosphere ranges from non-existent to toxic in home games and we need to be galvanised by some positivity.

• The title was changed to Unai Emery Sacked By Arsenal; Mikel Arteta Hired

Archived