talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - GK - Final

football forum

Who is the best goalkeeper of the decade?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Manuel Neuer or Gianluigi Buffon?

• Manuel Neuer
    • Gianluigi Buffon

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I'd want prime Neuer over prime Buffon. If you know that your goalkeeper is also going to be the sweeper and play out from the back and block shots with ruthless efficiency then its a no-brainer for me. I sometimes think Buffon also got paired with some incredibly good defenders in his time as GK (not to take away from how good he has been) and while the same could be said about Neuer there is a difference in the way he controls and commands matches vs Gigi. 

I understand that Buffon might win as he's an icon of the sport and people respect his longevity and passion. 20 years at the top of his craft is baffling to be honest. Plus his behaviour on and off the pitch is an example for all. Never met a Buffon hater.

However I'd have Neuer above him in a side of mine. Not inferior to the Italian in any way and adds more to any side. There's no denying that both are geniuses but the German just edges it for me in terms of what he can offer.

It's tricky because Buffon is/was obviously a bigger figure this century. He is THE goalkeeper of the new century, however he's not the best one for me.

15 hours ago, Machado said:

However I'd have Neuer above him in a side of mine. Not inferior to the Italian in any way and adds more to any side.

Exactly. Both are/were great on the line, but Neuer has more qualities away from the line which makes him quite unique. 

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Imagine trying to convince yourself Neuer got this far, let alone is better than Buffon xD

Imagine people having different opinions or maybe knowing one better than the other because they've seen much more of him. 

Archived