The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga 2019/20 - [14. Spieltag] - 6-8th December, 2019

football forum

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, nudge said:

Gladbach v Bayern should be juicy...

By the way @Michael thanks for the liveticker yesterday; thoroughly enjoyed it as I couldn't watch the game so was just reading this thread instead :D 

Glad I wasn't talking to myself, lol. It was an end to end game, which Frankfurt really should of won as we did have the bigger share of the chances. But like on many occasions this season, we made life tougher for ourselves than it really should've been by going 0-2 down after 63 minutes of the game.

The Gladbach v Bayern game was indeed another entertaining affair. I went out yesterday, but I managed to watch it at a pub with some mates. It was another big win for Gladbach and that's 2 league losses on the trot now for Bayern!

But Bayern are really having problems with their defenders. Boateng is not as good as he used to be in my view, while Martinez has had a couple of bad performances in a row now for Bayern. Last week Bailey absolutely outclassed him, while yesterday against Gladbach, he again wasn't that great and his sending off was arguably a decisive factor in helping Gladbach to their win.

Bayern sitting in 7th place in the Bundesliga Table, after 14 rounds of the season gone, does make it exciting and much more of an open title race. Bayern are still odds on favorites to win the Bundesliga with the bookies though, despite being 7 points behind Gladbach and 6 points behind RB Leipzig in the current Bundesliga standings. Gladbach are generally 11/1 and 12/1 to win the title with the bookies right now, but one bookmaker is actually offering 22/1 on Gladbach to win the Bundesliga! Clearly the bookies don't really fancy them to be Bundesliga Champions. 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

Moisander's finally back and is in the starting XI against Paderborn! This is a must-win for us.

Yes, Mosiander's return should be a real boost for the Werder defence. In fact, Werder's defence looks pretty impressive today. Selassie-Veljkovic-Mosiander-Augustinsson looks a solid back line and arguably the best defence they could actually field. 

On paper, this should be Werder's easiest fixture of the season and I actually think that Werder will win tonight. They played very well against Wolfsburg last week and I expect another win from them today against bottom of the table Paderborn.

• Subscriber
Just now, Michael said:

Yes, Mosiander's return should be a real boost for the Werder defence. In fact, Werder's defence looks pretty impressive today. Selassie-Veljkovic-Mosiander-Augustinsson looks a solid back line and arguably the best defence they could actually field. 

On paper, this should be Werder's easiest fixture of the season and I actually think that Werder will win tonight. They played very well against Wolfsburg last week and I expect another win from them today against bottom of the table Paderborn.

I'm a bit worried as we often tend to struggle against teams we should be comfortably beating... wasted a lot of points this way both last season and this season already. Must be some sort of mentality/motivation issue.
Hoping for an easy, uncomplicated win... Would be nice for a change :7_sweat_smile:

And yes, it's good to see our key players coming back. I only wish Füllkrug hadn't had his knee injured again; we could definitely use someone like him upfront.

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

After watching Köln losing at Alte Försterei I beg to differ, I didn't see Paderborn playing as bad as them.

I am feeling optimistic about Werder winning today. Fullkrug being injured is a blow, but Weder still have a very good front line in Osako, Rashica and Bittencourt. I feel that there will be quite a few goals in this one.

20 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

After watching Köln losing at Alte Försterei I beg to differ, I didn't see Paderborn playing as bad as them.

Lets be honest, in general, both Paderborn and Koln have been poor this season. But in terms of names, I think that Koln have the better players...Modeste, Terrode, Hector, Skhiri, Schaub, Kainz, Verstraete, Bornauw, Koziello, Mere, Cordoba, Horn etc are all relatively highly rated players, I don't think that Paderborn have as many good players name wise as Koln. But performance wise, they have both been pretty poor this season, no doubt about that.

Paderborn are bottom of the Bundesliga and with the performances that I have seen from them, I am sure that they will be relegated at the end of the season.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Michael said:

Lets be honest, in general, both Paderborn and Koln have been poor this season. But in terms of names, I think that Koln have the better players...Modeste, Terrode, Hector, Skhiri, Schaub, Kainz, Verstraete, Bornauw, Koziello, Mere, Cordoba, Horn etc are all relatively highly rated players, I don't think that Paderborn have as many good players name wise as Koln. But performance wise, they have both been pretty poor this season, no doubt about that.

Paderborn are bottom of the Bundesliga and with the performances that I have seen from them, I am sure that they will be relegated at the end of the season.

I agree that Köln have better players in terms of individual quality but I think it's a bit unfair to Paderborn to say they've been poor performance wise. I thought they played pretty well in every match except the Schalke and Mainz ones - always aggressive; always trying to go forward instead of playing boring defensive football and have been unlucky not to have more points. I find that alone is worth admiration. Compared to Köln they certainly function better as a team.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SchalkeUK said:

Not the best 45minutes of the season so far! - you are missing a spark such as the one which Burgstaller provides and even he might have stood out in this one - Rashica is looking good but no one else seems at all bothered!

Bittencourt puts a lot of effort and is working his socks off as usual... Osako has looked poor so far. Rashica can do better. I wouldn't say no one seems at all bothered; it's just that we find it hard to play against Paderborn's physicality. Also wasted quite a few good chances already.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I agree that Köln have better players in terms of individual quality but I think it's a bit unfair to Paderborn to say they've been poor performance wise. I thought they played pretty well in every match except the Schalke and Mainz ones - always aggressive; always trying to go forward instead of playing boring defensive football and have been unlucky not to have more points. I find that alone is worth admiration. Compared to Köln they certainly function better as a team.

Only 5 points after 13 rounds of Bundesliga action, including 10 losses and at the foot of the table, is not great at all. But I think I understand what you and Rucksackfanzone are getting at. Paderborn are set up better than Koln I think and  counter attack quite well. I believe that Koln are underachieving with the players that they have, while Paderborn are probably playing close to their potential, but just find the level of most Bundesliga sides that bit better than them.

At least your boss has picked the best side available - yesterday we lost due to DW's bad decisions in the selection department - leaving the idiot on for 70 minutes was about the worst decision of the weekend!

One thing away from the games this weekend.  My young friend Lukas who lives in Herne and joined us in Duisburg for the get together at the lake became a daddy for the first time this week. Sure Tommy and Thea and Relling remember him!

Just now, Michael said:

You knew after they showed the replay that the goal was going to be awarded. Poor Werder, they must feel gutted conceding so late.

And they played quite well in the 2nd half, and just didn't score. You gotta feel for Werder. Almost 2-0 Paderborn. Still a few minutes to go. COME ON WERDER! 

1 minute ago, SchalkeUK said:

Damn!  Visitors arrived and I missed that ending - just as well as I was already under the clouds from yesterday - have a drink with me nusge and we can properly be sad togerth!!!

Are you sure you didn't already have a few? :ph34r:

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

I'm a bit worried as we often tend to struggle against teams we should be comfortably beating... wasted a lot of points this way both last season and this season already. Must be some sort of mentality/motivation issue.

Yeah...called it. 

It's a bit pathetic to not score a single goal within 90 minutes against a team like Paderborn (no disrespect) despite numerous opportunities. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived