talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The most gripping opening episode of a tv series

football forum

Have just been watching a few first episodes of different tv shows with a family member trying to find something they're keen to watch through with me. Unfortunately this lady is a tough sell on any series so I've been pulling from the top drawer. We've watched episode One from 4 different shows and she's passed on each one as not being that interesting.  Yet she likes drama shows and I'm working with her previous preferences and playing to them...

It got me thinking... What's the tv show with the perfect first episode, that totally hooks everyone in and by the end of that episode there's no looking back...?

Game of Thrones Springs to mind. I was completely immersed in another world and didn't look back.

Suits although not a serious show had a very engaging first episode with the story of the bogan genius delivery guy who ends up interning at the top law firm in New York ..

Chernobyl too I think once you've seen the first episode your jaw is to the floor and you know you'll be watching the rest of the series in the next few days.

Probably my favourite would be the Americans. This just seems like the episode you'd get if you put a team of lab scientists together to engineer the perfect first episode that has a bit of everything, in just the right amounts to totally rock their audience.

I'm not taking peoples all time favourite sites just shows that had that first episode that made one hell of an impression...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cicero said:

Breaking bad 

The first episode of season one? I watched most of season one and just lost momentum and haven't gotten back into it... I assumed it was more like the wire in that it's a slower burn to get hooked...

• Subscriber

LOST, hands down. Even those who disliked the direction the series took afterwards loved the pilot. I remember being skeptical and reluctant to watch the show at first as well as the plot summary seemed a bit meh but after watching the pilot I was absolutely hooked. All these years later, it's still the best first episode I've ever seen.

Other than that I'd say Homeland and Twin Peaks.

• Subscriber

Dallas was another one me and the wife would look forward to every Friday night I think it was, we saw the first episode and watched every episode after, the 'Who Shot JR Ewing' episodes had the whole media showing the headlines and giving their thoughts who shot him.

The good things about shows like that were they played them once a week and did not ram then down your throats 6/7 days a week like nowadays and you would look forward to them and when one series finished you had to wait weeks until they released the next series. 

Its downfall came slowly as a bit silly where Bobby Ewing was killed and the ratings started to slip then some smart arse spark of a writer or producer decided to bring Booby back from the dead and Pam Ewing woke up and found Bobby having a shower and as the story went apparently Pam only dreamt about him being killed, 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

The first episode of season one? I watched most of season one and just lost momentum and haven't gotten back into it... I assumed it was more like the wire in that it's a slower burn to get hooked...

I thought GOT season 1 is a pretty slow burn tbh. I had to force myself to get halfway through GoT’s first season until it started to grip me, and I only managed to do it because so many people kept promising it gets better.

I’d go with Breaking Bad as well - it sets the stage well for Walter’s transition from a decent man to the notorious Heisenberg.

I’m surprised you lost momentum, it only picks up after the first season - much like GoT. It’s also by far and away my favourite show though so I’m biased

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Yeah episode one. Was hooked 

18 hours ago, nudge said:

LOST, hands down. Even those who disliked the direction the series took afterwards loved the pilot. I remember being skeptical and reluctant to watch the show at first as well as the plot summary seemed a bit meh but after watching the pilot I was absolutely hooked. All these years later, it's still the best first episode I've ever seen.

Other than that I'd say Homeland and Twin Peaks.

Multiple good shouts there. Sounds like I'll need to give lost a look if you've put it's debut above Homeland.

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought GOT season 1 is a pretty slow burn tbh. I had to force myself to get halfway through GoT’s first season until it started to grip me, and I only managed to do it because so many people kept promising it gets better.

I’d go with Breaking Bad as well - it sets the stage well for Walter’s transition from a decent man to the notorious Heisenberg.

I’m surprised you lost momentum, it only picks up after the first season - much like GoT. It’s also by far and away my favourite show though so I’m biased

Yeah it's kind of a bit contrary to the title of "gripping" first episode... More like most immersive. For me GOT and Deadwood were more like that. Just instantly transported me to another time and place, and engaged me.

Whereas the Americans was more that perfect combination of sex, high adrenaline and twists that leave you on the edge of your seat.

Definitely reflecting now Homeland hit me in that same way, as did 24 and Designated Survivor although it's a much simpler show.

• Administrator

Prison Break came to mind for me as well. Utterly gripped from day one wondering what the fuck this guy was planning (a prison break, I know). Perhaps more like how and it just left you constantly wanting more. 

Twin Peaks: The pilot almost feels like a stunning movie. It's atmospheric, intriguing and sets the tone perfectly for the series. 

Game of Thrones: Had so much going on, and yet didn't feel chaotic. Plus the ending of the episode was shocking. 

Breaking Bad: Slow burner. In fact I can say that about the entire first season. But the pilot set things up nicely. 

Firefly: Space fucking cowboys.

Heroes: I thought the series became shit in subsequent seasons, but that first season was brilliant TV. And pilot was intriguing as hell. 

Fargo: The pilot incorporated everything good about the movie, including the story and gave its own twist. 

Wonder Years: Everything about it was sweet and beautiful. 

Other mentions would be Grey's Anatomy (it really had a good first season, and that pilot sets it up nicely), Pushing Daisies (if you love quirky stories) and Legion (such a unique show). 

Archived