• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 3-1 Chelsea - Saturday 7th December, 2019

football forum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, carefreeluke said:

Kepa’s been dreadful this season. So many mistakes with the ball at his feet. Literally like he wanted to pass to Everton there.

He’s kept us in the game after dealing with the calamity defence that’s in front of him. 

Perfect storm for Chelsea considering the weak spots that have been exposed here and there. 

Chelsea have thrived by pinning teams back and then opening them up with intricate play. The two big things Big Dunc has obviously demanded were that Everton come storming out to disrupt Chelsea's build up, and then to target Zouma and Christensen at every chance. 

Anyone surprised by this result?? not me, we keep allowing ourselves to get mugged over time and time again.. West Ham was another good example of it, when we don't convert our chances in the final third you can almost guarantee defeat because we are rubbish at the back and for all Kepa is capable of pulling off some fine saves from time to time he does not inspire confidence and with our defensive frailties that's just a disaster waiting to happen every game... 

• Subscriber

That was a strange game but delighted with the win. I'm far from convinced that playing 4-4-2 and relying on good old blood and thunder is a viable long term strategy for success but you've got to sit back and appreciate that for what it was today. Well in lads.

5 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

He’s been lucky so many times this season with giving the ball away, makes a suicide pass every game these days.

I agree, but he's more than once saved us given how awful our back line is. I genuinely think it's worse than Arsenal's. I understand this is a season of mistakes and learning, but this was shocking from Lampard. Straight amateur. To tell you the truth I'm fuming mate. 

I remember an interview with Rio Ferdinand, and how he said one of the hardest things for a centre back is when you are switched CB sides. The James--Zouma-Tomori-Emerson back line seemed to have built a little chemistry, and I for the life of me have no understanding as to why Lampard all of a sudden doesn't favor it. He throws in Christensen, and not only that, he switches Zouma's position and tosses Dave at LB. This goes back to what Rio said, so why one earth would Lampard do that to Zouma, when he already struggles positonally?

The Christensen-Zouma pairing has always been terrible. Worse than Luiz+Cahill. We've seen it time and time again, so for Lampard to continue with it in these circumstances, is yet again just very amateur. 

• Subscriber

Good work Everton. They showed that sometimes a bit of energy can actually work for you. Chelsea were just unlucky that when they were applying pressure the finishing was not there. 

Also, the more I watch Sidibe the more I am convinced there is a proper winger there and he’ll come good in the next few weeks too. 

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I agree, but he's more than once saved us given how awful our back line is. I genuinely think it's worse than Arsenal's. I understand this is a season of mistakes and learning, but this was shocking from Lampard. Straight amateur. To tell you the truth I'm fuming mate. 

I remember an interview with Rio Ferdinand, and how he said one of the hardest things for a centre back is when you are switched CB sides. The James--Zouma-Tomori-Emerson back line seemed to have built a little chemistry, and I for the life of me have no understanding as to why Lampard all of a sudden doesn't favor it. He throws in Christensen, and not only that, he switches Zouma's position and tosses Dave at LB. This goes back to what Rio said, so why one earth would Lampard do that to Zouma, when he already struggles positonally?

The Christensen-Zouma pairing has always been terrible. Worse than Luiz+Cahill. We've seen it time and time again, so for Lampard to continue with it in these circumstances, is yet again just very amateur. 

Yeah, mate exactly. Too many changes, it can't have helped anyone in that backline. Azpilicueta going forward is awful to watch as well, really doesn't help Pulisic or the other attacking players. Emerson was decent enough before his injury, came back after it and struggled a bit but at least he bombs forward at every opportunity and can at least play a bit. You may as well be passing to a mannequin anytime Azpilicueta gets the ball in the opposition half.

Lampard takes some of the blame for the changes, not only because he's changed it around too much but also things like Christensen not being the best choice in this type of game because it was very physical and we had two strikers to deal with, the game was won through Everton's two forwards. That was the key tactical point of the game.

What you can't blame Lampard for though are these individual mistakes. The Benny Hill music goes perfect with our defending for the goals conceded today, particularly the last two.

11 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

What you can't blame Lampard for though are these individual mistakes. 

I can mate.

Like you said, what Lampard did today destroyed the balance of our back line.

1. Shoe horning Dave at LB, just because Lampard needs a way to have his captain on the pitch.

2.  Forcing Christensen in, when he's weak in the air and we were facing a 'route one Everton side'

3. Shifting an already positionally poor Zouma to the other CB slot. 

It was suicide and mistakes were bound to happen. Taking out Jorginho too for Kante was just dumb. I genuinely think the lineup I posted in the 1st page would have secured us 3 points. 

Also I think for the first time in my life, I’m actually pleased with an Everton win. And that’s a weird thing to be typing out.

Everton’s extra shit run of form was seriously depressing some of my good mates. And their relief from this win is palpable as fuck.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Also I think for the first time in my life, I’m actually pleased with an Everton win. And that’s a weird thing to be typing out.

Everton’s extra shit run of form was seriously depressing some of my good mates. And their relief from this win is palpable as fuck.

Nothing more disrespectful to a rival than being so comfortably ahead that you feel sympathy for them :ph34r:

• The topic was unpinned

Archived