Head to Head
Aston Villa - 33 wins
Draws - 24
Leicester - 41 wins

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Chelsea and Man City both lose. Not that there isn't already incentive but if that isn't it to extend the gap then I don't know what it is. Come on you Foxes! 

If Leicester win this they are 6 points clear of City?

You'd have to acknowledge then that they'd be the main contender to Liverpool in the title race.

Makes that game with Liverpool over Xmas absolutely crucial.

• Subscriber

Unless I wake up miraculously feeling a lot better tomorrow then I can't go to this which is fucking annoying. Been looking forward to this one.

I don't really fancy us here to be honest. We frequently bottle it at Villa.

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, Harry said:

If Leicester win this they are 6 points clear of City?

Yup.

Liverpool's next league fixture is Watford. I can't see them losing that. The gap is still quite big even if we beat them. Plus they'll have a game in hand as they won't have played West Ham due to the Club World Cup.

• Subscriber

I think for Leicester to overhaul Liverpool we're going to have to win every game this month, which I think is beyond us to be honest.

Liverpool just aren't showing any signs of slowing down. You can't see them getting under 100 points at this rate.

If Liverpool avoid defeat here on Boxing Day I think it's done, but it likely is anyway.

57 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think for Leicester to overhaul Liverpool we're going to have to win every game this month, which I think is beyond us to be honest.

Liverpool just aren't showing any signs of slowing down. You can't see them getting under 100 points at this rate.

If Liverpool avoid defeat here on Boxing Day I think it's done, but it likely is anyway.

I'm more just commenting that You should move above city in the actual betting markets as the second most likely to win, and we should treat you with the respect that comes with that...

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm more just commenting that You should move above city in the actual betting markets as the second most likely to win, and we should treat you with the respect that comes with that...

Leicester by default just don't really get that same respect. You are right and so far this season, we have been better than Manchester City, no doubt about that in my eyes actually.

Even in 2015/16 plenty weren't having us as a title contender until February time. I got quite a few comments my way in December time when I said we were in contention.

Majority of the media just aren't having us in the discussion at all and it's mental really, we're 2nd in the table, have won 7 in a row, are the only team in the top four leagues to have conceded just single figures. It's snobbery and nothing else. Any 'big six' team does any of this and they're being talked about as the ones to overhaul Liverpool. Because it's provincial Leicester it isn't happening.

It gets very interesting if we beat Villa, because it means we'll go into the Man City in a fortnight game above them in the table. I really don't think it's beyond us to get something there either. So much wrong with Man City this season.

28 minutes ago, Dan said:

Leicester by default just don't really get that same respect. You are right and so far this season, we have been better than Manchester City, no doubt about that in my eyes actually.

Even in 2015/16 plenty weren't having us as a title contender until February time. I got quite a few comments my way in December time when I said we were in contention.

Majority of the media just aren't having us in the discussion at all and it's mental really, we're 2nd in the table, have won 7 in a row, are the only team in the top four leagues to have conceded just single figures. It's snobbery and nothing else. Any 'big six' team does any of this and they're being talked about as the ones to overhaul Liverpool. Because it's provincial Leicester it isn't happening.

It gets very interesting if we beat Villa, because it means we'll go into the Man City in a fortnight game above them in the table. I really don't think it's beyond us to get something there either. So much wrong with Man City this season.

Yeah I agree with all of that. I can already feel the same general public's lack of belief in Leicester that was there in 15/16... Yet you are one of only a handful of teams to have been there before.

My concern is that Liverpool must recognise your potential and therefore be very guarded and respectful of what you can do... 

The city game you mention is a really interesting one. An interesting test too for Liverpool fans as to what result they find themselves rooting for in that game.

Any fans that are still rooting for you to beat city are for sure underrating Leicester.

• Subscriber

I hope Leicester win today and keep the pressure on. I always think that a chase to the finish brings with it a bigger sense of achievement versus just pissing the league but I can see why a lot of our fans wants the later to be the case. 

What is it with Leicester anyway? Don't think it's normal to be punching above their weight in this manner twice in five years now. Do they just want it more than other clubs of their status? I don't know.

It's inspiring but also sad that they'd perhaps be actual contenders again if Liverpool weren't on their way to having one of the best seasons of all time in English football. Still, these must be exciting times for Leicester fans.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Machado said:

What is it with Leicester anyway? Don't think it's normal to be punching above their weight in this manner twice in five years now. Do they just want it more than other clubs of their status? I don't know.

It's inspiring but also sad that they'd perhaps be actual contenders again if Liverpool weren't on their way to having one of the best seasons of all time in English football. Still, these must be exciting times for Leicester fans.

I honestly don't get it. I feel so lucky to be honest xD there just seems to be a different mentality with Leicester. I think ever since we've come up we've not just wanted to settle with making up the numbers. There's more ambition.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I hope Leicester win today and keep the pressure on. I always think that a chase to the finish brings with it a bigger sense of achievement versus just pissing the league but I can see why a lot of our fans wants the later to be the case. 

You’re weird 😂

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Yeah I think if you keep the gap at 8 before we go to Qatar you have a chance. An 8 point gap could become 5 before we go to your place on Boxing Day and then it would be all to play for. Obviously we'd have that game in hand but if you were to beat us then that would ramp up the pressure. It's a big ask to beat Man City and Liverpool back to back though

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Machado said:

Good point to raise. I think we're just in a really good place right now. We're well run, sensible for the most part in all our dealings and business the club does. Solid foundations. Positive mentality. Compare that to the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and perhaps Spurs and they're all going through a period of stagnation or transition and we're just the club that are willing to take full advantage of it and capitalise on the gap they leave behind. 

It's very exciting for sure! 

As for today's game, I'm quite nervous. Villa are a decent outfit and for the last couple of games a few players have looked a bit leggy and tired. Ndidi gonna have to be on top form today to stop the likes of Grealish and McGinn - they're the dangerous players for them I think. They nearly took Liverpool all the way so it's by far not an easy fixture. Hope we get at them right from the off. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah I think if you keep the gap at 8 before we go to Qatar you have a chance. An 8 point gap could become 5 before we go to your place on Boxing Day and then it would be all to play for. Obviously we'd have that game in hand but if you were to beat us then that would ramp up the pressure. It's a big ask to beat Man City and Liverpool back to back though

Yeah, win our next four and it's down to 2 points, the caveat to this - that's 2 points with a game in hand for you, and requires us beating both Man City and Liverpool. It's just too much I think. We've got to be nearly flawless.

I just can't see you not winning it from here to be honest.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good point to raise. I think we're just in a really good place right now. We're well run, sensible for the most part in all our dealings and business the club does. Solid foundations. Positive mentality. Compare that to the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and perhaps Spurs and they're all going through a period of stagnation or transition and we're just the club that are willing to take full advantage of it and capitalise on the gap they leave behind. 

It's very exciting for sure! 

As for today's game, I'm quite nervous. Villa are a decent outfit and for the last couple of games a few players have looked a bit leggy and tired. Ndidi gonna have to be on top form today to stop the likes of Grealish and McGinn - they're the dangerous players for them I think. They nearly took Liverpool all the way so it's by far not an easy fixture. Hope we get at them right from the off. 

I think he means as much... why us and not say Everton, West Ham etc... it's quite interesting really because we've come from a weaker positon than the likes of those two and achieved more in recent years. It's all a bit surreal. This last decade is surely the best we've ever had and what's good is that now I feel like we're actually going to keep it going. Not necessarily top 4 every year but I don't think it's implausible we come above Arsenal next year as well given the way the two clubs are going. I feel now like if we were to sell a big name, we'd be well enough prepared to deal with it. I get the impression that we've learnt big time from the mistakes of summer 2016.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't know mate, City have won back to back titles in record breaking fashion and you're only actually 3 points ahead of them. City have shorter odds to win the title for good reason. It's going to take something unthinkable like you or them winning every game left this season to overhaul Liverpool. I can't see any scenario where you outscore them by 11 points in what's left of the season but after what City did in the second half of last season it is at least somewhat conceivable that they could take advantage if Liverpool wobble.

I also have to disagree about not having you in the discussion. I think people have you in the discussion the right amount. You've had a very good 2019 and yes you're 2nd but an 11 point gap to Liverpool is an absolute chasm when you look at the consistency they've had over the past 18 months. Everyone thinks their club doesn't get enough credit from the media when things are going well, and you're right about top six bias, Everton fans will never forget BT's title race special in December 2014(?) where they included 7th and 8th placed 'big six' sides and ignored 4th placed Everton completely. However I think Rodgers and Leicester are getting rimmed pretty heavily by the media this season. They absolutely loved it last weekend when you beat us.

People are talking about Leicester in pretty realistic terms to be honest. Title not impossible but almost out of the question but a solid top four position looks very likely and well deserved.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't know mate, City have won back to back titles in record breaking fashion and you're only actually 3 points ahead of them. City have shorter odds to win the title for good reason. It's going to take something unthinkable like you or them winning every game left this season to overhaul Liverpool. I can't see any scenario where you outscore them by 11 points in what's left of the season but after what City did in the second half of last season it is at least somewhat conceivable that they could take advantage if Liverpool wobble.

I also have to disagree about not having you in the discussion. I think people have you in the discussion the right amount. You've had a very good 2019 and yes you're 2nd but an 11 point gap to Liverpool is an absolute chasm when you look at the consistency they've had over the past 18 months. Everyone thinks their club doesn't get enough credit from the media when things are going well, and you're right about top six bias, Everton fans will never forget BT's title race special in December 2014(?) where they included 7th and 8th placed 'big six' sides and ignored 4th placed Everton completely. However I think Rodgers and Leicester are getting rimmed pretty heavily by the media this season. They absolutely loved it last weekend when you beat us.

People are talking about Leicester in pretty realistic terms to be honest. Title not impossible but almost out of the question but a solid top four position looks very likely and well deserved.

Man City have been pretty poor this season though to be honest by their standards. If this was a fully firing, fully fit Man City I'd agree but they've looked iffy all season, defensively in-particular. Can you see Man City, the way they're going getting anywhere near the title?

I think Liverpool's consistency means that there isn't really any kind of title race anyway and any talk of it is just to overhype the situation but it's a bit annoying hearing us practically ignored in the discussion, if Man City for all their flaws this year are being included. I literally don't know what more we could currently be doing. If we beat Liverpool on Boxing Day it'll probably be about how Man City can now close the gap.

I half get it, but it's just more glory hunter pandering as far as I'm concerned.

9 hours ago, Dan said:

Unless I wake up miraculously feeling a lot better tomorrow then I can't go to this which is fucking annoying. Been looking forward to this one.

I don't really fancy us here to be honest. We frequently bottle it at Villa.

I just fancy a draw because of the occasion, Ron Saunders dying means they’re be a lot of emotion from the older fans and it will spur them on to take a point here, hopefully. 

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Think after the Christmas period will be time to make predictions, it will be attritional on Liverpool and 1-2 injuries could change the whole title race. I think city will dip in the market in Jan to

22 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think he means as much... why us and not say Everton, West Ham etc... it's quite interesting really because we've come from a weaker positon than the likes of those two and achieved more in recent years. It's all a bit surreal. This last decade is surely the best we've ever had and what's good is that now I feel like we're actually going to keep it going. Not necessarily top 4 every year but I don't think it's implausible we come above Arsenal next year as well given the way the two clubs are going. I feel now like if we were to sell a big name, we'd be well enough prepared to deal with it. I get the impression that we've learnt big time from the mistakes of summer 2016.

It’s not rocket science it’s just that as a club, you’ve  well ran, you’ve got “dodgy money” like the rest of us nowadays but the structure is very strong. Clubs like Southampton had similar but just got cherry picked relentlessly and the next generation of owners didn’t give a fuck before selling them. So they briefly threatened to progress before they’ve fallen away. 

West Ham just blow money no real structure. Have a new stadium but that’s about it

Spurs have money, have a very tight chairman holding them back and had a top manager. Jose is a top manager but short term it’s only 24 months before he’s spitting at Levy across a boardroom because he won’t buy matic.

Arsenal abysmally ran football club. 

Man United - no structure post Ferguson, result is a clusterfuck. 

Everton - All the gear no idea

Chelsea - An owner with football bipolar and declining interest. 

Wolves - Leicester mark 2 at present well ran but it’s chinese cash so can sour in a heartbeat

Man City - oil money but also very well ran, shame they’ve got no fans. 

Newcastle - Mike Ashley

Palace - well ran punching above their traditional weight

Burnley - take Dyche out and they will be league 2 in 3-4 years

Bournmouth - As above but obviously Howe. 

Liverpool - Have Money and we’ll ran with a top manager. 

Watford - have a structure but not working at the minute

Villa - think we have a structure now and it’s working this time last year we’d been fucked 3-0 by Wigan. We’re a work in progress though 

Norwich & Sheffield Utd - Good managers have them punching above where they are off the pitch. 

Brighton - Appear to be a well ran club, lack combative edge for me. 

I think people really over complicate things in football, your recruitment is very good you look for technically sound players with the right attitude that suit your style of play. Therefore when you do lose players like Southampton did there’s been less of an effect on the performance of the team. Also winning the title has instilled a belief in some of the squad and winning mentality is a big factor. 

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 1-4 Leicester - Sunday 8th December, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived