talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 1-4 Leicester - Sunday 8th December, 2019

football forum

• Administrator

@RandoEFC the Premier League twitter account suggested the title race is over because Man City lost yesterday. In some parts there's total ignorance but that is equalled out by sensible journos and fans that aren't writing us off yet at all. I'd say it takes a lot for us to be recognised though just because we're not traditional top 6 side. It's as if sky/BT etc want a club to break the top 6 mould but as soon as they do, they don't like it and try to make out it should only be the top 6 and the other 14.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

@RandoEFC the Premier League twitter account suggested the title race is over because Man City lost yesterday. In some parts there's total ignorance but that is equalled out by sensible journos and fans that aren't writing us off yet at all. I'd say it takes a lot for us to be recognised though just because we're not traditional top 6 side. It's as if sky/BT etc want a club to break the top 6 mould but as soon as they do, they don't like it and try to make out it should only be the top 6 and the other 14.

Let's be (extremely) generous and say Leicester get to the end of the season from now and only drop say 9 more points. 

In this scenario, Liverpool would have to drop SEVENTEEN points and you might get them on goal difference. 

I honestly can't see any likely scenario where Leicester have a chance of winning the title. It isnt about Leicester not being recognised, it's about the absurd standards set by Liverpool and Man City over the past two seasons.

If you can convince me of any remotely realistic scenario where you lot outscore Liverpool by 8 or 9 points over the next 23 matches then I'll happily take it back.

Man City are double defending champions and showed they are capable of going half a season without dropping more than a couple of points, there's precedent for still giving them an outside chance when they're 10ish points behind. Leicester have indeed been better than Man City so far this season but there's no evidence that you have that same high ceiling as they do which you need to have even a slim chance of overturning a deficit like this against a team like this Liverpool side.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Let's be (extremely) generous and say Leicester get to the end of the season from now and only drop say 9 more points. 

In this scenario, Liverpool would have to drop SEVENTEEN points and you might get them on goal difference. 

I honestly can't see any likely scenario where Leicester have a chance of winning the title. It isnt about Leicester not being recognised, it's about the absurd standards set by Liverpool and Man City over the past two seasons.

If you can convince me of any remotely realistic scenario where you lot outscore Liverpool by 8 or 9 points over the next 23 matches then I'll happily take it back.

Man City are double defending champions and showed they are capable of going half a season without dropping more than a couple of points, there's precedent for still giving them an outside chance when they're 10ish points behind. Leicester have indeed been better than Man City so far this season but there's no evidence that you have that same high ceiling as they do which you need to have even a slim chance of overturning a deficit like this against a team like this Liverpool side.

Nah I don't think we will but it would be nice to be recognised as being some kind of challenger more than Man City are right now xD

We're literally above them but sometimes we're spoken about as if we don't exist. 

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I just fancy a draw because of the occasion, Ron Saunders dying means they’re be a lot of emotion from the older fans and it will spur them on to take a point here, hopefully. 

Think after the Christmas period will be time to make predictions, it will be attritional on Liverpool and 1-2 injuries could change the whole title race. I think city will dip in the market in Jan to

It’s not rocket science it’s just that as a club, you’ve  well ran, you’ve got “dodgy money” like the rest of us nowadays but the structure is very strong. Clubs like Southampton had similar but just got cherry picked relentlessly and the next generation of owners didn’t give a fuck before selling them. So they briefly threatened to progress before they’ve fallen away. 

West Ham just blow money no real structure. Have a new stadium but that’s about it

Spurs have money, have a very tight chairman holding them back and had a top manager. Jose is a top manager but short term it’s only 24 months before he’s spitting at Levy across a boardroom because he won’t buy matic.

Arsenal abysmally ran football club. 

Man United - no structure post Ferguson, result is a clusterfuck. 

Everton - All the gear no idea

Chelsea - An owner with football bipolar and declining interest. 

Wolves - Leicester mark 2 at present well ran but it’s chinese cash so can sour in a heartbeat

Man City - oil money but also very well ran, shame they’ve got no fans. 

Newcastle - Mike Ashley

Palace - well ran punching above their traditional weight

Burnley - take Dyche out and they will be league 2 in 3-4 years

Bournmouth - As above but obviously Howe. 

Liverpool - Have Money and we’ll ran with a top manager. 

Watford - have a structure but not working at the minute

Villa - think we have a structure now and it’s working this time last year we’d been fucked 3-0 by Wigan. We’re a work in progress though 

Norwich & Sheffield Utd - Good managers have them punching above where they are off the pitch. 

Brighton - Appear to be a well ran club, lack combative edge for me. 

I think people really over complicate things in football, your recruitment is very good you look for technically sound players with the right attitude that suit your style of play. Therefore when you do lose players like Southampton did there’s been less of an effect on the performance of the team. Also winning the title has instilled a belief in some of the squad and winning mentality is a big factor. 

That's a pretty fair analysis on the whole and I agree with it. A few extraordinarily good bits of recruitment massively helped us on our way too. We've made some exceptional buys.

24 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Liverpool have Leicester, Spurs and Manchester United in a tough period before the end of January. They'll have just been to Qatar etc. They will have some sort of blip, be it only a draw or something, if they 6+ ahead at end of Jan then it's done but until then... 

Wolves twice before the end of January too. February and March then doesn't look too bad

55 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The title race is nowhere near a done deal.

Scenarios where Mane, Virgil or Firmino get injured could see Liverpools consistency shaken, and once shaken and talk of choking starts it can easily become a self fulfilling prophecy....

• Administrator

Praet and Iheanacho in for Barnes and Perez. 

Change of shape probably to counter the central midfield threat from them. Risky but think it's also making use of the squad over a busy period. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

So frustrating playing Grealish out wide, like playing at 60% stick him behind Wesley and watch the carnage ffs

Sounds like us when we played Maddison on the left wing some times last season. Very ineffective. 

• The title was changed to Aston Villa 1-4 Leicester - Sunday 8th December, 2019
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived