• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Truth or Myth - Stereotypes about your country/city

football forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Haha I just googled "stereotypes about Lithuania" and had a great laugh.

You’ve been too long in Lithuania, when …

you put ketchup on your pizza and think that’s the way Italians do it - ugh that used to happen a lot in the 90s/early 00s and I think it's gross...

half of your friends disappear to work in the British Isles or Scandinavia or the United States and you think that’s normal - absolutely true.

you have become tired of explaining to your friends and relatives at home, that you are a.) not in Latvia b.) not in Russia and c.) Riga isn’t the capital of the Baltic - spot on haha.

with a meal you drink either beer or tea - sounds about right.

basketball has become the most important thing in your life - yeah people are obsessed with it. 

you learned everything about the glorious Lithuanian language, and now you get angry about ignorant people denying the existence of a Lithuanian language or, worse, consider it some branch of Slavic languages - haha spot on.

during a long night of partying you went out pissing in the cold streets because there was only one unisex toilet in the whole pub - this is so 90s.

anything goes wrong you blame the Russians, or the Polish or the rest of the world - 100% xD 

a meal for you must contain either potato or meat, but usually both - this is the way!

you feel guilty entering a flat wearing your shoes - of course.

you think beer is a soft drink not an alcoholic beverage, only vodka is - definitely.

going to the opera, the concert hall or the theatre is just a usual thing to do in the evenings - it used to be. Not anymore though

everything 50m above sea-level seems like a mountain - we're flat as a pancake :( 

you start counting the ground floor as first floor - that makes sense doesn't it???

you consider smoked pig’s ears a tasty beer snack - nah... 

you consider Lithuania the best and worst place on earth – at the same time - 100% true

you teach everybody that in medieval times the Lithuanian Duchy ranged from the Baltic to the Black Sea - the inferiority complex at its best xD true.

you put an “as”, “a” or “is” at the end of foreign names, so you can conjugate them - for sure.

you carry around five cell phones and several cards from eight different phone-companies, so that you always get the best price. - used to be true haha.

you consider rain the normality and sunshine a special weather phenomenon - well it's almost like England

I'll start

We're poor 

- Not really, many people here are filthy rich

We beat women

- Not like it's institutionalised, 

We're terrorist 

- I don't know anyone that is

We are not allowed to marry outside of our family and we are forced into arranged marriages 

- Most Pakistanis that emigrated to UK in the 60s-70s etc were people who belonged to poor rural conservative backgrounds and that's why there are some extreme cases that you hear among the second third generations and it gets hyped a lot in the West. But no it's not as you think.

We are family orientated and starting a family when you enter your 20s is a must

Times have changed but the tradition is still strong, So Yes

I don't really know many stereotypes about Holland, apart from the obvious ones that are obviously not true (everyone smokes weed and wears clogs etc.).

A few I guess would be we're open and tolerant (partially true; we're tolerant but not very accepting), we're stingy with cash (generally not true) and we're direct (true compared to most Western Europeans, not true compared to Eastern Europeans).

Just now, Panflute said:

I don't really know many stereotypes about Holland, apart from the obvious ones that are obviously not true (everyone smokes weed and wears clogs etc.).

A few I guess would be we're open and tolerant (partially true; we're tolerant but not very accepting), we're stingy with cash (generally not true) and we're direct (true compared to most Western Europeans, not true compared to Eastern Europeans).

Does everyone owns a bicycle in Netherlands ?

52 minutes ago, nudge said:

you put ketchup on your pizza and think that’s the way Italians do it - ugh that used to happen a lot in the 90s/early 00s and I think it's gross...

My girlfriend's Algerian, and she puts mayonnaise and ketchup on her pizzas 😂

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

1 minute ago, Azeem said:

Not mayonnaise but ketchup with pizza is common here also

It's horrible xD I remember when pizzas were first introduced here and people had basically no clue about them; figured it needed some sauce on top and that's how the whole ketchup/mayo thing on a pizza started... Italians who opened first restaurants here were fuming xD 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's horrible xD I remember when pizzas were first introduced here and people had basically no clue about them; figured it needed some sauce on top and that's how the whole ketchup/mayo thing on a pizza started... Italians who opened first restaurants here were fuming xD 

Pizza is just standard fast food here and since ketchup is with every other fast food burgers, fries, wings people started eating pizza with it also. 

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Do English people have horrible teeth mostly ?

Not that I'm aware of. Think we're a nation of decent-looking teeth but there's a proper focus on ensuring kids' teeth are healthy with sugar tax and encouraging less fizzy/sugary drinks etc...

11 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

I've had mayonnaise with pizza (uni days) but never on top of it. I also don't get why ketchup on pizza is a thing either. It already has tomato sauce in it ffs. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I've had mayonnaise with pizza (uni days) but never on top of it. I also don't get why ketchup on pizza is a thing either. It already has tomato sauce in it ffs. 

Drowning pizza in ketchup is aesthetically similar to Americans putting ridiculous amount of "cheese" on any food. Always see those videos on my social media feed; looks awful and nearly makes me sick.

3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Apparently people from Grimsby stink of fish. We don't. Well, I don't. 

Well, I heard different.... and that was from someone who spent a few weeks up there, said the smell from his clothes stayed on him for a week before he could get it out and had to travel the train home after a meeting smelling of it... He said that there were even some clothes he had not worn that were smelling of it.. xD

For Merseyside there's a load of negative stereotypes about us. We're lazy, workshy, and all on the dole. We're thieving bastards. We're all in gangs and sell drugs. We've got a victim complex.

Personally, I think that where those stereotypes ring true... basically ring true for most of the north that's been left behind and neglected by Westminster. And it's specifically tied to us because of years of perpetuating these stereotypes about Merseyside in the media so they become common place. And the victim complex likely comes from being fiercely defensive when you've got people all around the country just saying shite about you, your family, and your friends. Especially when we don't have the highest unemployment rates or the highest crime rates & it creates a division between us and people who's communities have had the same struggles as ours for no good reason other than we've got better accents.

There's some good stereotypes about Scousers as well: we all love the Beatles (that's probably mostly true) and we've got great senses of humour (some of us do - not sure if it's actually tied to being from Merseyside or not though).

Archived