talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Truth or Myth - Stereotypes about your country/city

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Well, I heard different.... and that was from someone who spent a few weeks up there, said the smell from his clothes stayed on him for a week before he could get it out and had to travel the train home after a meeting smelling of it... He said that there were even some clothes he had not worn that were smelling of it.. xD

Was they working in the fish factory?! 🙄

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

My favourite one about our country is that immigrants simultaneously steal our jobs but also scrounge on benefits xD 

Try being half Lithuanian-half German in Holland - they simultaneously accuse you of stealing their jobs AND their bikes xD 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

they simultaneously accuse you of stealing their jobs AND their bikes

xD

That's a London thing for sure... my new polish operative was telling me a week ago about the time he locked his bike up somewhere to go shopping and when he came back the front wheel was nicked.. I had to start laughing, I told him most people take the front wheel with them just in case.. xD

We got the bike nicking thing from Merseyside and perfected it... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

xD

That's a London thing for sure... my new polish operative was telling me a week ago about the time he locked his bike up somewhere to go shopping and when he came back the front wheel was nicked.. I had to start laughing, I told him most people take the front wheel with them just in case.. xD

We got the bike nicking thing from Merseyside and perfected it... 

Haha in case of the Dutch it's all about the Germans stealing their bikes back in WWII; so "give us back our bikes" is a long-running dig of sorts in order to take the piss out of them. 

Also a pole getting his vehicle stolen...there's a joke there but I'd rather not tell it :ph34r:

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Drowning pizza in ketchup is aesthetically similar to Americans putting ridiculous amount of "cheese" on any food. Always see those videos on my social media feed; looks awful and nearly makes me sick.

I know these videos. Starts with cheese and bacon, then some other stuff happens, in the middle it's more cheese and bacon, then more other stuff, and they end it with cheese and bacon. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I know these videos. Starts with cheese and bacon, then some other stuff happens, in the middle it's more cheese and bacon, then more other stuff, and they end it with cheese and bacon. 

The worst one for me was watching a lovely huge steak being grilled perfectly only to be buried under a ton of horrid hot yellow melted mass they call cheese. Atrocious xD 

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

The worst one for me was watching a lovely huge steak being grilled perfectly only to be buried under a ton of horrid hot yellow melted mass they call cheese. Atrocious xD 

Holy shit there's people that put cheese on steaks?

Monsters.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Philly cheese steaks are the bollocks 

Yeah but that's a sandwich with sliced steak?... not the actual whole steak drowned in cheese for whatever reason. And it was not even raclette-like; just the horrid yellow gooey mass haha. I can't find the video anymore.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah but that's a sandwich with sliced steak?... not the actual whole steak drowned in cheese for whatever reason. And it was not even raclette-like; just the horrid yellow gooey mass haha. I can't find the video anymore.

Yeah I hate those videos. 20 seconds of staring at melting cheese being poured on to food. It's not appetising at all! I don't eat steak (beef, religious reasons, don't hate) but even so I can appreciate when it looks like something that would make you do this without the cheese addition:

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, Spike said:

There is a racist element in every nation. Nowhere is truly and fully accepting.

The funny thing is that Arab nations tend to be far worse with racism than any Western nation. The notion that Europeans/white people are uniquely racist becomes laughable once you interact enough with people who aren't white.

2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

The funny thing is that Arab nations tend to be far worse with racism than any Western nation. The notion that Europeans/white people are uniquely racist becomes laughable once you interact enough with people who aren't white.

Well of course, there has to be an element of superiority when a nation imports labour from other countries, steals their passports; promptly working them to death. 

6 minutes ago, Panflute said:

The Middle East is one of the most hateful places in the world. Arabs, Persians, Jews, Kurds, Yazidis, Bahias, etc… they all fucking hate each other (for the most part) - and that's before you even introduce people who are actually culturally different to the mix.

I found China to be really fucking racist as well tbh. Everyone fucking staring at me wherever I went - I bet it's worse going there if you're black. I think they're more xenophobic than anything else though.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Southeast Asian nations as well. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Middle East is one of the most hateful places in the world. Arabs, Persians, Jews, Kurds, Yazidis, Bahias, etc… they all fucking hate each other (for the most part) - and that's before you even introduce people who are actually culturally different to the mix.

I found China to be really fucking racist as well tbh. Everyone fucking staring at me wherever I went - I bet it's worse going there if you're black. I think they're more xenophobic than anything else though.

A friend of mine lived in China and his stories were enough to dispell any oriental myths about a noble and spiritual people. Humans are scumbags the world around. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Panflute said:

A friend of mine lived in China and his stories were enough to dispell any oriental myths about a noble and spiritual people. Humans are scumbags the world around. 

You remember Sihanoukville? Well after the Chinese took over most of the businesses they made it very clear that others aren't welcome (both Khmer and non-Chinese expats). I know people who went to a restaurant there and were simply ignored lol; I had a not-very-nice experience in a shop too but at least they sold me stuff I needed and didn't straightout ignored me haha. And I won't even mention how they see the Cambodian locals as inferior. 

Your last sentence is spot on although I'd say that there are both good people and scumbags everywhere in the world and in every nation.

• Subscriber

Alright well I can do a few.

We say "Eh" alot - we do but not nearly as much as people say, I do find myself usuing it on occasion and notice afterwards xD

We use "boot" as in no doot aboot it - Fuck me dead, no. Ive never heard anyone use this ever.

We love bacon - fuck yes.

We apologize alot - Definitely. Generally very polite people; although the latest generation might change that.

Poutine - Ive never been to Montreal or eastern Canada (where its famous) but our poutine here is awesome.

All of Canada lives in Igloos - Its not really that cold. I live on the west coast and the temperatures are quite mild. Winter doesnt really drop below 0 Celsius and summer doesnt really crest 30 for long. The East and up north is a different story but thats why noone important lives there.

Just now, nudge said:

You remember Sihanoukville? Well after the Chinese took over most of the businesses they made it very clear that others aren't welcome (both Khmer and non-Chinese expats). I know people who went to a restaurant there and were simply ignored lol; I had a not-very-nice experience in a shop too but at least they sold me stuff I needed and didn't straightout ignored me haha. And I won't even mention how they see the Cambodian locals as inferior. 

Your last sentence is spot on although I'd say that there are both good people and scumbags everywhere in the world and in every nation.

I could notice even back then that they behaved like a separate caste. On the plane there I was asked if I wanted to switch seats with a Chinese guy because he was sitting next to a woman with a small child and he kept staring at her tits. All anecdotal and there are bound to be bunch of great people in that country, but they didn't make a great case for their nation abroad.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Panflute said:

I could notice even back then that they behaved like a separate caste. On the plane there I was asked if I wanted to switch seats with a Chinese guy because he was sitting next to a woman with a small child and he kept staring at her tits. All anecdotal and there are bound to be bunch of great people in that country, but they didn't make a great case for their nation abroad.

I met a lot of great Chinese people at uni; a lot of it definitely comes with upbringing and education. I also had Chinese neighbours in SHV before I moved and they were lovely and well-mannered people too - but then they were also engineers/architects brought there to oversee a project and not a bunch of crooks. The problem is that those abroad are usually the ones with shitload of money from questionable activities and a bad attitude.

I'll do some San Diego stereotypes too, just for the fuck of it. Turns out most of the ones I could think of are... actually true.

• Everyone's in great shape. Mostly true, I'd say. The fact there's good weather and good beaches, means a lot of people spend time at the beach and do their best to make sure they've got their best "beach bods" - if you come here expecting to see the stereotypical "fat Americans" - avoid the beaches, because that's not where they keep the San Diego fatties
  • Every fucker loves craft beer & especially IPAs. Yep.
  • Everyone loves Mexican food. Yep.
  • San Diegans are scared of the rain. 100% true - people actually call in sick when it rains xD
  • San Diegans are shite drivers. Yeah, although tbh that's more of a Southern California thing generally - because the drivers are much worse in LA

Imo my own personal stereotype, I think most people who live in San Diego are pretty unprofessional - because the whole city sort of has a "we live in a holiday paradise" so everyone's pretty laid back. Don't ever count on people to be on time for anything, ever... including showing up to their fucking jobs on time.

Archived