• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Documentaries

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/4/2017 at 11:18 AM, Smiley Culture said:

Don't know about you lot but I love a good documentary, be it on television or via Netflix.

Anyone else? What have you seen? What do you tend to watch?

Watch 'Jiro Dreams of Sushi' on Netflix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 5/4/2017 at 8:48 PM, Smiley Culture said:

Don't know about you lot but I love a good documentary, be it on television or via Netflix.

Anyone else? What have you seen? What do you tend to watch?

I wouldn't necessarily call them documentaries perse but I love watching how ideas and thought processes of people in engineering or creativity-based industries bring changes to people's lives and the impact it has years later as well. I had a great discussion years ago about IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and how it shaped messaging to birth so many good things that are taken for granted with modern day applications. I watched the Microsoft conference recently as well and was very impressed with how they are moving towards non-tech folks getting the most out of their tools to help better mid-size to smaller businesses get their foot in the door without all the hassles and complications involved with hiring big IT teams to get the job done.

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Just discovered The Vietnam War, a 10-part, 18 hour documentary series by Ken Burns. Only watched the first episode so far, but it's brilliant as it covers the conflict and the backstory from many angles, including French, American as well as both South and North Vietnamese soldiers and civilians, and most of the footage is unseen before. Lovely soundtrack too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877514/

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Read recently there's going to be an eight part documentary series on Maddie McCann released on Netflix some time in the future. 

imagine if she's watching it not knowing it's about her.

I love Attenborough.

For me, nothing beats a cold Sunday night, watching a wildlife documentary, something like Planet Earth or Blue Planet on full HD BBC. It's impeccably shot, from action to scenery to the backing commentary of Attenborough and the music.

Cannot wait for Blue Planet 2. But it will take some beating from Planet Earth 2, especially this scene. Amazing...

Been watching Last Chance U on Netflix. 

I'm enjoying it. It's not just about getting the most out of these lads on the field, it's about managing them as young men and trying to keep them on the straight and narrow through education. The welfare officer type woman, who's name I have completely forgotten, is arguably the most important cog in the EMCC. 

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the coach, Buddy Stephens. In some respects, I am a fan but then again, he can come across as a flat track bully and a bit of a horrible man. 

• 3 weeks later...

This latest Louis Theroux one is very absorbing. Spending time with the Police and the residents of Milwaukee.

I am literally shocked by the astonishing homicide rate there. Even just watching when Theroux goes into the neighbourhood's, the tension is quite palpable, you could never relax living in that district.

Really intriguing seeing one scene with an armed robber dead on the floor in a normal household. So sad as well that people cant co-operate with the police because they know they'll pay with their life if they snitch. There is no justice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 01/10/2017 at 4:43 PM, Lucas said:

I love Attenborough.

For me, nothing beats a cold Sunday night, watching a wildlife documentary, something like Planet Earth or Blue Planet on full HD BBC. It's impeccably shot, from action to scenery to the backing commentary of Attenborough and the music.

Cannot wait for Blue Planet 2. But it will take some beating from Planet Earth 2, especially this scene. Amazing...

thoughts on BP2?

I've been blown away as per usual by the depths and detail they go in to as well as the discoveries they find. Like on Sunday's episode, going all the way down to a seabed in an abyss of darkness and seeing what life is there, a fish with a transparent head so it can see what's above. 

And the fish that had fins for feet.

Amazing how evolution works. 

A FISH WITH A SEE-THROUGH HEAD THOUGH. WTF.

22 hours ago, Stan said:

thoughts on BP2?

I've been blown away as per usual by the depths and detail they go in to as well as the discoveries they find. Like on Sunday's episode, going all the way down to a seabed in an abyss of darkness and seeing what life is there, a fish with a transparent head so it can see what's above. 

And the fish that had fins for feet.

Amazing how evolution works. 

A FISH WITH A SEE-THROUGH HEAD THOUGH. WTF.

It's really good. The only thing with Blue Planet is the lack of variety to what you get on land but that said, it's nonetheless quality. Perfect Sunday night chilled out viewing.

I think I preferred the first episode over the second, highlight for me being the flying fish out of water grabbing the birds. But again, every time you watch and see something you never seen before, you are there literally thinking 'What the fuck is that'. Like the transparent head fish as you said.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I'm sure most of you have seen that Vice documentary about Liberia, and have heard of General Butt Naked? Well, it appears there's a sort of follow up documentary (not made by Vice though) on him, well worth a watch.

• 5 months later...

Watched Netflix's Fyre documentary. Crazy what the guy thought he was going to get away with. Was hard to feel bad for the people that bought tickets, they all seemed like twats. Did feel bad for those that lived on the island though.

38 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Watched Netflix's Fyre documentary. Crazy what the guy thought he was going to get away with. Was hard to feel bad for the people that bought tickets, they all seemed like twats. Did feel bad for those that lived on the island though.

I've never wanted to punch a bloke in the face more. And I'm not talking about Billy McFarland. I'm talking about that smug twat that filed the lawsuit. 

Archived