talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian Bushfires

football forum

Exactly how did a party with one seat in the senate pass legislation banning controlled burning? Except that never happened, and what did happen is that the Murdoch army of LNP drones published articles on shit like Sky diverting the blame from the LNP to ONE FUCKING SEAT. How dodgy is that cocksucker blaming the greens for a legislation passed by a NSW LNP government. I hate the Greens but this guy is a straight liar.

The issue is Australia is the size of Europe and having a squad of five VFFs practise controlled burning in rural areas the size of Tasmania doesn’t work. It can’t be done year round, the conditions need to met before prescribed burning can be done. Diversion of funding, draining of local water sources, slashing staff, climate change, are to blame not a peripheral party.

Fuck the LNP, Gladys Berejiklian, and Scott Morrison.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Spike said:

Exactly how did a party with one seat in the senate pass legislation banning controlled burning? Except that never happened, and what did happen is that the Murdoch army of LNP drones published articles on shit like Sky diverting the blame from the LNP to ONE FUCKING SEAT. How dodgy is that cocksucker blaming the greens for a legislation passed by a NSW LNP government. I hate the Greens but this guy is a straight liar.

The issue is Australia is the size of Europe and having a squad of five VFFs practise controlled burning in rural areas the size of Tasmania doesn’t work. It can’t be done year round, the conditions need to met before prescribed burning can be done. Diversion of funding, draining of local water sources, slashing staff, climate change, are to blame not a peripheral party.

Fuck the LNP, Gladys Berejiklian, and Scott Morrison.

The arguments being made more recently aren't blaming the greens party rather conservationist ideology which propagated through all parties and led to some decisions which inhibit access to some areas and are making matters worse at present.

Conservationist ideology hahahahaha fuck me. You're a deadset fuckwit (in general, not aimed at Harry) if you believe 'conservationist ideology' had any sort of hand in this rather than the real factors.

81259503_579054602654949_4706755944158068736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=68vMymaUl9AAQl-C4SnkF4_cRUM8XLW6YNwuh-9igEPMPTWARDjNfoS0A&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=2222fe6a6438edc80901d97262a817e5&oe=5E91CE37

This was published in 2007

The real reason is bone dry hot winters that prevent back burning.
The real reason is 75% (and that can't be understated, imagine if you were building a house with only 25% of a budget) of the NSW rural fire service funding was cut by a liberal government that cares not a single fucking but about the people.

The rivers and lagoons are dry, the wildlife is dead, the reef is white, that shithole mine in QLD created less than a quarter of the promised jobs and we gave these fuckwits 4 more years. All because their evil system of de-funding schools to make the kids dumb and using free to air TV and the free newspapers weapons against sensible policy. 

But no it's entirely because some people with no power in the system make arguments like 'let's stop building cities and towns next to national parks' and 'We should only back burn protected land to directly save human life'

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Conservationist ideology hahahahaha fuck me. You're a deadset fuckwit (in general, not aimed at Harry) if you believe 'conservationist ideology' had any sort of hand in this rather than the real factors.

81259503_579054602654949_4706755944158068736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=68vMymaUl9AAQl-C4SnkF4_cRUM8XLW6YNwuh-9igEPMPTWARDjNfoS0A&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd3-1.fna&oh=2222fe6a6438edc80901d97262a817e5&oe=5E91CE37

This was published in 2007

The real reason is bone dry hot winters that prevent back burning.
The real reason is 75% (and that can't be understated, imagine if you were building a house with only 25% of a budget) of the NSW rural fire service funding was cut by a liberal government that cares not a single fucking but about the people.

The rivers and lagoons are dry, the wildlife is dead, the reef is white, that shithole mine in QLD created less than a quarter of the promised jobs and we gave these fuckwits 4 more years. All because their evil system of de-funding schools to make the kids dumb and using free to air TV and the free newspapers weapons against sensible policy. 

But no it's entirely because some people with no power in the system make arguments like 'let's stop building cities and towns next to national parks' and 'We should only back burn protected land to directly save human life'

I don't share the views I just disclosed at all mate, simply put them out there as what one group of people is saying.

Basically saying don't make this all about climate change because there is shit we can do to reduce the intensity and/or fallout from major fires that we have not been doing or that we used to do but have stopped doing that we should get back to again.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I don't share the views I just disclosed at all mate, simply put them out there as what one group of people is saying.

Basically saying don't make this all about climate change because there is shit we can do to reduce the intensity and/or fallout from major fires that we have not been doing or that we used to do but have stopped doing that we should get back to again.

They are wrong. There isn't less back burning because of pandering to greenies. There is less back burning because winter is very hot and there's less than a 3rd of the recommended fire safety teams to conduct them. I don't know about where you live but in Wollongong the average temp over winter was over 20 and there was very literally almost no rain. This is happening in many places nation wide. 

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah, it's called the carbon tax to reduce climate change, stop draining all the water, stop cutting funding from RVFDs, stop doing everything the liberal goverment has done to Australia since taking the Menzie's government stole the credit of the Snowy River scheme in the 50s.

People think that prescribed burning is some magic panacea that will prevent bush fires, it isn't because it can't be done. No man power, too big of a country, too hot, and too dangerous. Maybe if this country set up regulations 70 years ago we could have stopped this but nothing has stopped the private-schooled investment bankers LNP party from raping this country with every single legislation designed to make them money, and the morons that vote for them poor.  I'm enfuriated, angrier than I've ever been this is ridiculous, the government is ridiculous, the people defending the milquetoast response are ridiculous, this has to be the worst crisis Australia has gone through and people are acting as if it is like any other bush fire. 

I hope Howard, Abbott, Murdoch, and Morrison can join Robert Menzies in hell. 

21 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

A great example of that has already happened this summer. One of the fires leapt over 2kms over already burnt land just because of a wind change. 

I am from a small town in rural QLD, it is 1000km west of Brisbane, the nearest town is only 100 people strong and that is over 100km away as well. There are dozens of properties around the town for grazing, cotton farming, and grape farming. Outside of that it is the wild bush, harsh land that survives from access to the Artesian Basin, I don't even know how many VFFs we have but the last time I checked it was around 10. Does anybody think that they can handle the thousands of hectares around the town? If anyone thinks that volunteers have the time or training to prescribed-burn anything, they are delusional.  Controlled burning is a joke and people only think it is a good idea because the Aboriginals used firefarming, and there is evidence to suggest that firefarming resulted in the loss of a lot of forestation.

Also those picture people are posting of the fires comparing it the UK or Europe? Bullshit, things are far worse than that. The UK is 240,000km2 and QLD by itself is 1,800,000km2. 

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

I am from a small town in rural QLD, it is 1000km west of Brisbane, the nearest town is only 100 people strong and that is over 100km away as well. There are dozens of properties around the town for grazing, cotton farming, and grape farming. Outside of that it is the wild bush, harsh land that survives from access to the Artesian Basin, I don't even know how many VFFs we have but the last time I checked it was around 10. Does anybody think that they can handle the thousands of hectares around the town? If anyone thinks that volunteers have the time or training to prescribed-burn anything, they are delusional.  Controlled burning is a joke and people only think it is a good idea because the Aboriginals used firefarming, and there is evidence to suggest that firefarming resulted in the loss of a lot of forestation.

Also those picture people are posting of the fires comparing it the UK or Europe? Bullshit, things are far worse than that. The UK is 240,000km2 and QLD by itself is 18,000,000km2. 

Last paragraph, I’ve been thinking this for a while.

E242BD1F-FF9C-4A8E-840E-DC265BA20D50.jpeg

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Also those picture people are posting of the fires comparing it the UK or Europe? Bullshit, things are far worse than that. The UK is 240,000km2 and QLD by itself is 1,800,000km2. 

The reported area burnt by the fires is 60,000km2 mate.

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

I know... not my point at all, obviously I don’y think every square cm of QLD is on fire

Sorry mate I missed your point then. Wasn't sure what you meant by it being worse than the map.

I was caught by a beach once near Sydney as the road out was closed off due to a bush fire nearby. In reality we weren’t in trouble just stranded for a few hours but it really hits home how dangerous these are. People further into the national park (I think) were stranded and rescued by boat.

The size of this is ridiculous...still can’t believe how long it’s gone on for now and how long it will go on for

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Because the UK is tiny and it makes it look small.

I had the opposite reaction. On a map it shows everything from London up the Newcastle would have burned to the ground, an area which is home to 50 million or so people. 

Some photos from Melbourne CBD. An otherwise warm summer day in the early afternoon, but the city in the middle of a huge smoke plume.

Just breathing in its like you're standing in front of a smokey fire, and you can taste the ash on your tongue all day just sitting at your desk in a big multistorey office building. Nearest active fire is more than 250km away last I checked. This was the worst day so far for air quality in Melbourne all stores have sold out of face masks.

We think it's bad but it's nothing compared to other areas.

20200106_175251.jpg

20200106_175248.jpg

6 hours ago, Spike said:

I hate Tony Abott with the fury of a thousand suns but fuck me I can’t but respect him for volunteering.

He's an utter cunt. He recently came out and did an interview about how the world was being gripped by a "climate cult" despite this insane fire raging on. He does deserve credit for volunteering, but he's an idiot that's part of the larger fucking problem.

Sadly, fires like this will probably be the new normal in Australia - because I don't think we're going to be able to reverse any of the damage done to the planet that's already been done. Heartbreaking for all of the people who've lost their homes & for all of the animals who've probably permanently lost their habitats.

11 hours ago, Spike said:

I hate Tony Abott with the fury of a thousand suns but fuck me I can’t but respect him for volunteering.

There is plenty of photo opportunity driver to it though.

My best mate is a volunteer firefighter for a branch South of Melbourne and is itching to get out there to help but he hasn't been selected yet. There is not enough tricks and equipment to get every volunteer it there that wants to help.

I suspect in Tony's situation there'll have been a pulling of rank to get him out there and that would link to a particular strategy his political faction and those loyal to him would have made with things like climate change narratives and future leadership tilts in mind.

Apparently they're shooting 10,000 camels in Australia (btw, I did not know that there were camels living in Australia) because they "drink too much water" - but didn't Australia sell off a load of it's water rights to China? Does that mean they're killing camels now because they've not got enough water after selling off water rights? Or are they unrelated?

Archived