talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

Back from holiday and in two weeks we've gone from takeover will be done by the end of the month to takeover off and Rafa will leave as Ashley won't give him want he wants for the club. 

Players back in training on July 4th, probably without a manager or a centre forward.

• Subscriber

1632368143_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.369e71bc421506a6a999cb1b52661d7d.png

Rafa Benitez's Toon time is over: Manager poised to leave Newcastle with the contract set to expire next week

Rafa Benitez's three-year reign at Newcastle will draw to a close this week when his contract runs out next weekend, with no sign of any rapprochement between owner Mike Ashley and his manager.

There has been minimal progress in discussions at the end of the season and Benitez is resigned to the fact that his time at the club is over given the longstanding inability to agree on how best to approach in the transfer market.

Barring a dramatic turnaround in relations, there is unlikely even to be talks this week and Benitez's contract will simply expire at the end of the month.

At present, the Newcastle manager has a lucrative offer from Dalian Yifang but is more likely simply to stay in England with his family and see how the coming months unfold.

Benitez, Champions League winner with Liverpool in 2005, won the Championship trophy with Newcastle in 2017, which, whilst not a top-flight trophy maintained his run of winning a cup at all the clubs he has worked since he joined Valencia, where he won two La Liga titles and the UEFA Cup.

He will doubtless be in demand globally though he has always valued working in England and being close to his family. 

He was considered alongside Brendan Rodgers as Leicester's replacement for Claude Puel, but wouldn't leave Newcastle mid-season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7170717/Rafa-Benitez-poised-leave-Newcastle-contract-set-expire.html

• Subscriber

1600208554_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.ccbe15ae3f8f9c7d33fb1781c5f9acdf.png

'If the objective of the team is to finish ninth, that's not for me': Jose Mourinho all-but rules himself out of Newcastle job as he talks about his next role

Jose Mourinho appears to have ruled himself out of the Newcastle job, claiming he would not join a club that doesn't share the same lofty ambitions.

Rafa Benitez walked away from Newcastle after it was revealed he had not signed a new contract and Mourinho since emerged as a candidate for the vacant position. 

The Spaniard, who had been in talks over a contract extension at Newcastle but became frustrated with progress, wanted the promise of more investment, greater control and an improvement on his £6million-per-year salary.

Mourinho is still looking for a new challenge after he was sacked by Manchester United last December.

But the Portuguese manager, while not referring specifically to Newcastle, has claimed he would never manage a club that doesn't 'play to win'. 

In a video recorded before Benitez's shock departure on Tuesday, Mourinho told The Coaches' voice: 'The only thing that I know is what I don't want: I am quite pathological in the sense of I have to play to win.  

'Then, if I don't win, then that's my problem and the players and the club and the structure but I need a project where the feeling is I play to win.

'If somebody gives me a wonderful 10-year contract and the objective of the team is to stay in the first half of the table and if you finish seventh, eighth or ninth, it's perfect, then that's not for me. That's my nature. My next (goal) is to fight to win.'

Benitez's departure comes as a huge blow to Newcastle fans, who witnessed promotion back to the Premier League in 2017 under the Spaniard. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7181187/Jose-Mourinho-rules-Newcastle-job-talks-role.html

Did anyone seriously think Mourinho would go to Newcastle? Especially if there isn't new ownership at Newcastle?

Thought it was a weird rumour before any takeover was confirmed. Now that a takeover looks unlikely... I'm not surprised he's basically ruled it out.

• Subscriber

So who's the next manager then? Dyche anyone?? Would love it just to piss the Dingles off. I'd say Dyche or Martinez would be the realistic best options for Newcastle.

Edited by JOSHBRFC

4 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

So who's the next manager then? Dyche anyone?? Would love it just to piss the Dingles off. I'd say Dyche or Martinez would be the realistic best options for Newcastle.

Martinez said a couple of months ago he won't leave Belgium until after the euros. He'd have to be desperate to swap that for this.

Think it'll be either someone desperate who has no experience or is out of work or someone from overseas who has no idea about what is going on.

• Administrator

Would be good if this ended up having the desired effect on the day or in the long term of getting Ashley out. Would be a big statement to see an empty SJP on opening day of the season (and matches thereafter).

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't mean much but I always found it a bit gutting that his last memory of the club was relegation and Ashley destruction.

Meanwhile, the boycott seems to only be 7-8k which isn't really enough. Maybe some season ticket holders will boycott the Arsenal game only.

Unfortunately the away end at Hibs was reasonable size all things considered. Should have been close to 0. A sign that the boycott is only a twitter bubble.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think he will play well. Think he is so happy to be back. Thoughts @Harvsky

Deep down it's exciting in a funny way.

Still, I won't be there. I think the team will actually do well, at least for this year. Rafa's defence plus new attack has some potential.