talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

18 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Isn't this basically what Rio Ferdinand suggested? :ph34r:

The aim isn't to buy the club, it's to buy a £3m stake in the club should the club be sold. In other words whoever is going to takeover, if anyone, they would be asked to let the fans own 1%.

Arguably pointless lol.

Just saw this article and thought of you @SkyBruce Championship.

Has Steve Bruce stopped the rot at Newcastle and does he deserve a fresh chance?

Steve Bruce's Sunday lunch was almost spoilt last weekend when Aleksandar Mitrovic scored for Fulham to temporarily consign Newcastle to the relegation zone.

But the Magpies were back out again by the time Bruce was getting stuck into his "apple pie and custard" thanks to Aston Villa's 3-1 victory.

This Sunday, it was Allan Saint-Maximin who served up a treat as he scored and set up a goal in a 2-1 over Burnley which puts Newcastle six points clear of danger.

On a freezing day where Turf Moor was surrounded by April snow, it felt like a decisive turning point in Newcastle's season which has lurched from one crisis to another.

In addition to the overhanging prospect of a takeover, there has been a coronavirus outbreak, injuries to several key players, leaks from the training ground, accusations of Bruce losing the dressing room and bans for local journalists.

For many fans who have grown tired of Bruce and the way his team plays, it felt like the team was "sleepwalking to relegation" as the Newcastle United Supporters' Trust described it.

But through it all Bruce has retained the support of owner Mike Ashley, and after last week's unexpected comeback draw against Tottenham, Saint-Maximin helped earn a first win in 26 Premier League games where Newcastle had conceded first.

They are not safe yet, but Fulham's momentum has ebbed away leaving Newcastle a chance to pull clear from the bottom three and perhaps even contemplate whether Bruce can get the club back to where fans think it belongs.

Newcastle 'a different animal' with Saint-Maximin and Wilson

Ever since Newcastle have been dragged into a relegation scrap thanks to their poor form at the turn of the year, Bruce has liked to talk about an "accumulation of points" in an effort to avoid the drop.

Sunday's win over Burnley was only their third in 20 Premier League games, but the real damage was done in December and January when they failed to win in nine matches. Add a damaging quarter-final Carabao Cup loss to Championship side Brentford and supporters were beginning to call for a change in management.

The appointment of assistant coach Graeme Jones from Bournemouth and a switch in tactics led to an improvement, with Newcastle losing four of their past 11 league games.

The three wins in that sequence all featured Wilson and Saint-Maximin, two of which came in three matches before they were both injured.

After his assist to set up Jacob Murphy's equaliser at Turf Moor and then his dazzling winner, Bruce said of Saint-Maximin: "Probably only Allan could have done that, and when you see games like that, you see what we have missed.

"I hope we can keep both Callum and Allan well because we are a different animal with them in the team."

The statistics bear that out. Newcastle have failed to win any of the four matches where neither player has featured, and have only won two out of 18 games where only one of the pair has featured, a win ratio of 11%.

With both in the side, however, they have won six games from 13, a win ratio of 46%.

Individually it is even more stark. With Wilson absent in nine league games, Newcastle have won none. With Saint-Maximin out, it is two wins from 13 matches.

Keeping the pair fit will be critical to Newcastle's success, this season and next.

Should Bruce be given next season to prove himself?

Bruce has admitted finding this season "testing", but has highlighted his experience of "20-odd years" in management and recent results show the team retains a fighting spirit to stay in the division despite a nadir at Brighton.

A recent poll in a local newspaper showed 95% of fans wanted a change in management, and his methods have constantly been under the microscope, ranging from his tactics through to giving players days off.

Injuries to key players such as Saint-Maximin and Jamaal Lascelles, who both had after-effects of coronavirus, plus Wilson and Isaac Hayden have all been significant. In a normal season questions might be valid about training methods although most of the problems have come during games.

Yet this season has been anything but normal. A lack of a pre-season and a shortened campaign means games have been almost constant, and plenty of other teams have suffered similar injury problems.

Add a lack of fans, which has affected all clubs but often can be a difference at St James' Park, and it is hard to judge how Bruce has fared.

As a boyhood Newcastle fan he knows simply surviving in the Premier League is not good enough. But with Wilson and Saint-Maximin a success when fit, and a mid-season nudge towards a more attacking style of play, there have been some signs of progress among the gloom.

Bruce said recently he hopes to be in charge next season, although he accepts that decision is out of his hands. Much may depend on whether the takeover happens, with Ashley still keen to sell to a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium, which has gone quiet.

Whatever Bruce's future there are huge issues to resolve at Newcastle, from board structure through to how much ambition the club has and the role of supporters. They are unlikely to be solved with a change of manager.

Bruce, who led Newcastle to 13th last term, might argue he deserves another season to prove himself given a campaign littered with unprecedented challenges.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56709755

:ph34r:

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

I couldn't give a toss if they comfortably survive, I'm done with the liar, fraud and fool that he is. Every time he opens his mouth something Trumpian comes out. It'll take a lot more than 36 points to heal this rift. Unless we finish 10th I don't want to hear about how he might have turned his own fuck up around in the space of 2 games.

Allan Saint-Maximin shouldn't have to bail out a dogshit display at Burnley. 

On 11/04/2021 at 21:48, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just saw this article and thought of you @SkyBruce Championship.

It baffles me the media and ex players ranting at, and accusing the FANS (who aren't there at matches, remember) of the mess Bruce has made. They do this for no other club, but side with the fans of other clubs for less reason. Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal/Spuds etc (you know the teams with inflated egos and a genuflecting supporting press and media who have just urinated all over the game) fans doing the same against "underachieving" managers are told "You're right ! Sack that manager ! Doesn't matter where you are in the league and past glories !"

You could record one ex player or one ex manager slagging off Newcastle fans then have any of them standing there with the recording playing and them mouthing the words to the recording. They all say the same bilge - and most often they have not seen the game. I can honestly say I have never seen bias so extreme against one clubs fans.

Listen to rival fans and you get a more accurate picture. Apart from those who let the media do their thinking for them (Villa fans a good example) the overwhelming opinion is how bad this club is to watch. Excrutiating. The players we have they should not be this bad.

And media even defend ASHLEY but when it looked like Saudis may take over the PANIC when Ashley announced he'd maybe buy another club was hilarious to see. The same people shrieking at Newcastle fans, it's all their fault (How ???) and Ashley was wonderful....suddenly were scared he may take over their club. Ipswich fans were horrified and voluble on the subject when they were mentioned as a possible destination. OK him doing what he does at Newcastle, but not with their clubs

Edited by Phil Kennedy
  • Upvote 2

On 19/04/2021 at 04:05, Phil Kennedy said:

It baffles me the media and ex players ranting at, and accusing the FANS (who aren't there at matches, remember) of the mess Bruce has made. They do this for no other club, but side with the fans of other clubs for less reason. Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal/Spuds etc (you know the teams with inflated egos and a genuflecting supporting press and media who have just urinated all over the game) fans doing the same against "underachieving" managers are told "You're right ! Sack that manager ! Doesn't matter where you are in the league and past glories !"

You could record one ex player or one ex manager slagging off Newcastle fans then have any of them standing there with the recording playing and them mouthing the words to the recording. They all say the same bilge - and most often they have not seen the game. I can honestly say I have never seen bias so extreme against one clubs fans.

Listen to rival fans and you get a more accurate picture. Apart from those who let the media do their thinking for them (Villa fans a good example) the overwhelming opinion is how bad this club is to watch. Excrutiating. The players we have they should not be this bad.

And media even defend ASHLEY but when it looked like Saudis may take over the PANIC when Ashley announced he'd maybe buy another club was hilarious to see. The same people shrieking at Newcastle fans, it's all their fault (How ???) and Ashley was wonderful....suddenly were scared he may take over their club. Ipswich fans were horrified and voluble on the subject when they were mentioned as a possible destination. OK him doing what he does at Newcastle, but not with their clubs

Honestly, from the outside looking in... it seems like a lot of people in the media just like shitting on Newcastle fans, for whatever reason. I feel like it's been like that for a long time, even before Ashley - because even while Ashley is buddy buddy with a lot in the media (for business reasons or otherwise, but probably business reasons), I felt like the media & TalkSport listening types were pretty quick to give Newcastle fans shit for being "entitled" because they wanted their club to show some ambition and push on in the late 2000s instead of just stagnate.

TalkSport's for morons anyways though, so fuck em.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Honestly, from the outside looking in... it seems like a lot of people in the media just like shitting on Newcastle fans, for whatever reason. I feel like it's been like that for a long time, even before Ashley - because even while Ashley is buddy buddy with a lot in the media (for business reasons or otherwise, but probably business reasons), I felt like the media & TalkSport listening types were pretty quick to give Newcastle fans shit for being "entitled" because they wanted their club to show some ambition and push on in the late 2000s instead of just stagnate.

TalkSport's for morons anyways though, so fuck em.

You're right I remember this being a talking point a long time ago, maybe 2005/2006 time. 

At the time St James' Park was hostile. Players were booed, moans at misplaced passes were huge. We were one of the first to do it to that ugly extent really and we got a reputation because of that. Then 2 or 3 years later every other set of fans in the country were doing it and we'd toned it right down. Still, we kept our reputation and the likes of Arsenal who turned quite vile for a spell didn't get one at all.

You rarely hear Spurs fans chastised for wanting Mourinho out for taking them nowhere and playing dour football. 

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought Gattuso and Pirlo were a perfect midfield pair. I wonder if it's the same with them as managers.

Gattuso, the general, should be manager. Pirlo should be the assistant. Get Carlo Ancelotti in as Director of Football, and I think that's a guaranteed recipe for success.

*edit* Get Clarence Seedorf in as a coach or a scout or something too

• Subscriber

Ashley will do anything just to get some dosh xD

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley files Premier League lawsuit

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has filed a lawsuit against the Premier League and says it's time for "dark forces to step aside" regarding the club's takeover.

Ashley claims the Premier League blocked the £300m deal last summer and is seeking damages after the Saudi Arabian-backed deal collapsed.

FULL REPORT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2021 at 14:55, ScoRoss said:

Down on the club site as both being 2pm kick offs. 

Either way the biggest joke of a pre-season in history.

You think we could have convinced at least one championship side to play us or arranged something with Celtic or Rangers to get at least remotely near the level we'll be playing during the season?? 

I get we can't get any foreign teams to play us but jesus christ. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...