talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

19 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@The Premier Steve's I don't think for a second geordies are to thick to give him credit. I've asked you before how you know so much so clearly I think you are very intelligent. However I do think passion gets the  better of Newcastle fans sometimes. Like I said he hasn't really done any worse then Benitez who fans love. At the moment under Ashley Newcastle wont achieve much. So they have to be realistic in the manager they can get. And I dont think they will get a manager who will do much better 

How is not any worse than Rafa a good thing? He inherited Rafa's team minus Ayoze Perez and spent £125m without losing anyone good. Yet we are out the League cup and in the bottom 3 looking total dog shit and in desperate need of a win tonight.

11 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

How is not any worse than Rafa a good thing? He inherited Rafa's team minus Ayoze Perez and spent £125m without losing anyone good. Yet we are out the League cup and in the bottom 3 looking total dog shit and in desperate need of a win tonight.

You finished about 12th last year. That's  not bad for a team with one of the worst owners in football. Yes you strengthened but so did other teams. You had almost exactly the same points as the season before 

I just googled it. You had 3 finishes 12th or 13th with 45 or 44 points apart from you first season back where you were 10th. So Bruce is about the same as benitez 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

You finished about 12th last year. That's  not bad for a team with one of the worst owners in football. Yes you strengthened but so did other teams. You had almost exactly the same points as the season before 

I just googled it. You had 3 finishes 12th or 13th with 45 or 44 points apart from you first season back where you were 10th. So Bruce is about the same as benitez 

Don't really care what happened 3 years ago. Comparing is stats without context.

We were 17th with 4 games to go last season. We won 3 of the last 4, sending us up the ladder dramatically and out of nowhere. It was not by any stretch of the imagination a not bad season.

That team should have had the objective of 10th. Competing for 10th. Hardly a high bar. We had spent enough to do it. We had the players to get close at least. Yet we finished a whopping 14 points behind that and spent a lot of the year flirting with the drop.

Now here we are. A bad start to the season. Are we going to be flirting with the drop again or are we going to push on for the top 10? What do you think?

3 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Don't really care what happened 3 years ago. Comparing is stats without context.

We were 17th with 4 games to go last season. We won 3 of the last 4, sending us up the ladder dramatically and out of nowhere. It was not by any stretch of the imagination a not bad season.

That team should have had the objective of 10th. Competing for 10th. Hardly a high bar. We had spent enough to do it. We had the players to get close at least. Yet we finished a whopping 14 points behind that and spent a lot of the year flirting with the drop.

Now here we are. A bad start to the season. Are we going to be flirting with the drop again or are we going to push on for the top 10? What do you think?

But that was his first season. And you said that they had previously finished well the season before.  I really dont think there is much difference results wise between the two mangers. Benitez didnt really improve you. In fact you finished tenth first season and finished lower the other two seasons. There isnt really any logic to loving one manager and hating the other. If you had the the same results last season you would criticise Benitez the way you did Bruce. 

11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Apart from the fact Bruce got a big wad of cash to spend when he took over, Benitez is clearly on another planet to Bruce in terms of managerial talent.

Benitez spent money though. He didnt improve them. And also the question has to be asked why Ashley didnt back Benitez but backed bruce. The fact is newcastle wanted Benitez they didnt want bruce. They haven't treated then equally and I know even if bruce had spent hardly anything they still wouldn't want him

Edited by Guest

I cant find Benitez net spend so I'll except he definitely did more with less. However I would still question why Ashley didnt back him but did back bruce. I still think that Newcastle fans dont like certain managers and it is very hard to change their mind. And I still think if bruce had  no money to spend they would still not want him there. 

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I cant find Benitez net spend so I'll except he definitely did more with less. However I would still question why Ashley didnt back him but did back bruce. I still think that Newcastle fans dont like certain managers and it is very hard to change their mind. And I still think if bruce had  no money to spend they would still not want him there. 

I think if Bruce had no money to spend, they'd have gone down imo. St. Maximin is a big part of how Bruceball has worked at Newcastle - because his individual quality has sometimes been enough to overcome the fact Newcastle don't really have an identity in the way they play. Their net spend under Rafa was -£26m. I think Steve Bruce's net spend is over £100m. For comparison, Steve McLaren who was there before Rafa had a net spend of £96m.

So I think Newcastle fans are right to question why Ashley didn't back him, when he was popular with their fans, and why he's backed two manager that Newcastle fans can't stand. I suspect he's willing to back managers who look like they won't be up to much without spending because all he really cares about is staying in the premier league and getting the TV deal money. With Rafa, Newcastle were safe and actually made a profit with transfers. With Bruce they look shit but can steal enough wins.

Most Newcastle fans I know think Steve Bruce's football is unsustainable, whereas Rafa looked like he had a plan and was always looking to help Newcastle grow. But he wouldn't get the funding to bring in the players he wanted.

He might be passed his prime as a manager, but I think Rafa is a brilliant tactician. I think most Newcastle fans would agree with that and I think that's why so many don't like Steve Bruce and don't want him there. They've replaced a popular manager with someone who antagonises the fans and the Newcastle players themselves (by the looks of recent leaks), while serving up some truly awful football to watch. So I'm not surprised they don't want him there and would like someone with a bit more competence to come in.

But will Ashley open the purse strings for anyone competent that can guarantee Newcastle survival on Newcastle's tactics alone? Probably not because he doesn't care if Newcastle have any ambition or not - he just wants to make sure they stay in the league.

13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

But that was his first season. And you said that they had previously finished well the season before.  I really dont think there is much difference results wise between the two mangers. Benitez didnt really improve you. In fact you finished tenth first season and finished lower the other two seasons. There isnt really any logic to loving one manager and hating the other. If you had the the same results last season you would criticise Benitez the way you did Bruce. 

Incorrect.

Rafa did not have 2 seasons after finishing 10th he had 1. Last year was not Bruce's first season. This is his 3rd year.

In Rafa's final season he spent £18m in the summer. We struggled. Ashley was largely blamed for lack of spend but some fans were disgruntled with Rafa. He then signed Almiron in January and in the 2nd half of the season we were excellent. We were a proper outfit and clearly on course for good things.

Stats without context is bad analysis. That's what's happening when you judge based on a googled league table. 

12 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Jacob Murphy was the most expensive player Rafa signed at £12m. Bruce has bought FIVE players for more than that.

Ashley didn't back Rafa because the business model is to not spend until we have saved the money. Under Rafa we saved tens of millions and when he left that summer it was there in a pot to spend. It was spent on Joelinton and ASM.

Don't reduce the opposition to Bruce to just spending arguments. Those arguments are about YOUR claims that Bruce has done well or just as good as Rafa. We've wanted Bruce out on numerous occasions because our eyes are offended by the crap served up and our ears are offended by the wanker comments he makes.

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

Surely its only a matter of time before Bruce's job becomes untenable. If he does go, who would you want in? Eddie Howe?

They'll only sack him when we are cut adrift at the bottom, they said so last year. ASM could probably single handedly ensure we aren't cut adrift.

With the takeover in the courts in February they'll hang on to Bruce as long as possible.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Premier Steve's said:

They'll only sack him when we are cut adrift at the bottom, they said so last year. ASM could probably single handedly ensure we aren't cut adrift.

Naaaah, you'll cut ties sooner than that. Shame really as you could build a decent team around players like ASM and Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday in court it was heard that Richard Masters threatened to expel Newcastle United from the Premier League in a heated argument with Mike Ashley. It doesn't look like you'll hear that in the national press.

The court case is about determing whether the Premier League has been corrupted by BEIN sport and the Super league clubs to block Newcastle's takeover. If found to be the case Mike Ashley may be entitled to millions if not tens of millions in compensation from the Premier League.

• Wow 1

The decision of the takeover is in a separate tribunal in January. Yesterday's court case is all about Ashley getting compensation.

If it gets Ashley out I'd be happy for Premier League clubs, particularly the top ones to forgo much of their "prize" money so that Mike Ashley can sell the club at actual market value but still get the same price PIF offered 18 months ago :ph34r: OK with me.

If Ashley is entitled to compensation and takes this club down with his crap decisions then the Premier League should pay compensation to the fans to whatever value is required to buy Ashley out :ph34r:

On 18/09/2021 at 06:32, The Premier Steve's said:

Incorrect.

Rafa did not have 2 seasons after finishing 10th he had 1. Last year was not Bruce's first season. This is his 3rd year.

In Rafa's final season he spent £18m in the summer. We struggled. Ashley was largely blamed for lack of spend but some fans were disgruntled with Rafa. He then signed Almiron in January and in the 2nd half of the season we were excellent. We were a proper outfit and clearly on course for good things.

Stats without context is bad analysis. That's what's happening when you judge based on a googled league table. 

Jacob Murphy was the most expensive player Rafa signed at £12m. Bruce has bought FIVE players for more than that.

Ashley didn't back Rafa because the business model is to not spend until we have saved the money. Under Rafa we saved tens of millions and when he left that summer it was there in a pot to spend. It was spent on Joelinton and ASM.

Don't reduce the opposition to Bruce to just spending arguments. Those arguments are about YOUR claims that Bruce has done well or just as good as Rafa. We've wanted Bruce out on numerous occasions because our eyes are offended by the crap served up and our ears are offended by the wanker comments he makes.

Fair enough I should have got my facts right. The thing is though it seems as long as you stay up Ashley is happy and wont spend. So even if you get a new manager you won't do much better because if you can stay up on a budget he won't invest. The real problem is ashley 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Fair enough I should have got my facts right. The thing is though it seems as long as you stay up Ashley is happy and wont spend. So even if you get a new manager you won't do much better because if you can stay up on a budget he won't invest. The real problem is ashley 

I agree to an extent but what you have to remember with Bruce is he has pissed fans off with the things he says. He winds the fans up. Interestingly a lot of the same stuff he said at Villa and Sunderland that made him hated there. When you combine that with not getting the best out of the team you've got a toxic mix. A toxic atmosphere. 

Bruce needs Newcastle more than Rafa ever did. I'm not debating Rafa's commitment to Newcastle but Rafa would have always had a relatively decent job eventually. If Bruce gets sacked, he's not going to get near another Prem job. He might not even get near another Championship job. Chris Wilder and Eddie Howe are much better managers than Bruce and are struggling. Bruce is therefore not going to rock the boat like Rafa would. 

Bruce has a lot of mates in the media, who talk him up. I don't rate Solskjaer at all but before he came in at United, a lot of Bruce's mates in the media were talking him up for that. His biggest connection throughout his career in football is with United - inventing a connection to Newcastle is like suggesting Carragher is a true Evertonian because he supported them as a bid or Bergkamp is a Spur because he liked us a kid. Irrelevant. 

The likes of Keys, Redknapp, Merson etc talk him up into being a manager he isn't. Most of them don't even pretend to analyse him properly. They just blindly support no matter how bad it gets and then try and convince Newcastle fans who don't rate him that up is down, squares are triangles, the sky is the ocean and they're just a bunch of "way ay man, howay the lads" buffoons who want to both win the Champions League every season (and demand it) and also would take losing 6-5 every game over ever winning 1-0. They also loathe Benitez, likely because he never bothered with the media charm offensive when he was at Liverpool so they make these ridiculous comparisons with him and Bruce.

Bruce, rather than actually prove their misguided support right by trying to be a better manager and achieve all the things they say he can, actually does the same and acts like a total mark for himself by making embarrassing, bitchy and ridiculous jibes at Benitez, thinking that getting a guffaw out of Richard Keys is more important than building a relationship with his club.

He's a mediocre man and a mediocre manager in a job he is blatantly out of his depth in.

Edited by Tar-Mairon
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Saudi takeover to go through in next 48 hours. Source- everywhere 

They were live streaming it on YouTube, estimated to be 320BN... I would have watched but as you are one of the 'dross' teams in the league I didn't bother.. 

Good news for you though if it finally crosses the line.. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

They were live streaming it on YouTube, estimated to be 320BN... I would have watched but as you are one of the 'dross' teams in the league I didn't bother.. 

Good news for you though if it finally crosses the line.. 

Antonio Conte's odds to replace Bruce have come crashing down to 5/1 :ph34r:

Will he get the best out of Jeff Hendrick?

1 hour ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Saudi takeover to go through in next 48 hours. Source- everywhere 

Maybe Haaland will be coming to the premier league