talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

From what I have read Newcastle would be the richest club in the world if it happens. They have money than PSG and man city put together @The Premier Steve's have you got a full erection or arent you getting to excited just incase ?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Newcastle journos are probably a bit excited and a bit terrified now xD

They have spent so long criticising the club they wont know how to write positive stuff 

8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

From what I have read Newcastle would be the richest club in the world if it happens. They have money than PSG and man city put together @The Premier Steve's have you got a full erection or arent you getting to excited just incase ?

The club wont be rich, just as Ashley is a multi billionaire the owners have money but it doesn't mean they'll put that money into the club. The Rueben's, one of if not the richest people in Britain? Will own a small share, they're not putting up the capital they're in it for the property developing and what can be done to the city of Newcastle, akin to what happened in Manchester perhaps but on a lesser scale.

Some reports have mentioned that there will be £250m put into the club over the next few years, but not just for players, it's going to cost a bit to upgrade the neglect Ashley has left the stadium, training ground and general infrastructure in. The club needs to be reconnected to the community.

Just waiting for the news it's over the line and Ashley is finally gone. Think I might have a little cry of joy when it happens. For me this season has been the worst in my entire life. Finally ground down to absolute disconnect, hopelessness and a sense of what's the point anymore. A more moved on depressive state, whereas previous years those feelings were full of anger and frustration, more alive emotions.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

The club wont be rich, just as Ashley is a multi billionaire the owners have money but it doesn't mean they'll put that money into the club. The Rueben's, one of if not the richest people in Britain? Will own a small share, they're not putting up the capital they're in it for the property developing and what can be done to the city of Newcastle, akin to what happened in Manchester perhaps but on a lesser scale.

Some reports have mentioned that there will be £250m put into the club over the next few years, but not just for players, it's going to cost a bit to upgrade the neglect Ashley has left the stadium, training ground and general infrastructure in. The club needs to be reconnected to the community.

Just waiting for the news it's over the line and Ashley is finally gone. Think I might have a little cry of joy when it happens. For me this season has been the worst in my entire life. Finally ground down to absolute disconnect, hopelessness and a sense of what's the point anymore. A more moved on depressive state, whereas previous years those feelings were full of anger and frustration, more alive emotions.

This is really sad that someone I generally consider to be excellent on these issues would be so welcoming of an abhorrent regime

It shows the power of football I guess, that triumphing over humanity. To have your arms wide open to a regime with a horrific human rights record, using the club and the league in their power struggle with another gulf nation doesn’t sit right with me. 

27 minutes ago, Storts said:

This is really sad that someone I generally consider to be excellent on these issues would be so welcoming of an abhorrent regime

It shows the power of football I guess, that triumphing over humanity. To have your arms wide open to a regime with a horrific human rights record, using the club and the league in their power struggle with another gulf nation doesn’t sit right with me. 

It's easy to chastise from a far, but I and many other Newcastle fans have to learn how to live within this situation. How to challenge and when to challenge. In my view today is not the day for the Newcastle fans to challenge. Today is about a new start for our community and for me personally its a hope of rebuilding family relationships that were heavily damaged by Mike Ashley. It is however the day for you to flag the Saudi's. I encourage you to do so. Nationally you need to play that role, but I vehemently disagree with pinning it on the Geordie and making the Geordie carry the burden and shame. Particularly when it's impossible to have a view of the takeover without being a hypocrit, either way.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

It's easy to chastise from a far, but I and many other Newcastle fans have to learn how to live within this situation. How to challenge and when to challenge. In my view today is not the day for the Newcastle fans to challenge. Today is about a new start for our community and for me personally its a hope of rebuilding family relationships that were heavily damaged by Mike Ashley. It is however the day for you to flag the Saudi's. I encourage you to do so. Nationally you need to play that role, but I vehemently disagree with pinning it on the Geordie and making the Geordie carry the burden and shame. Particularly when it's impossible to have a view of the takeover without being a hypocrit, either way.

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s exactly the time for Newcastle fans to stand up and challenge new ownership… clearly a lack of investment in the club is worse than murdering journalists and treating women with utter disdain.  They should absolutely be made to carry the burden for celebrating these people taking over their club and the city of Newcastle. There are things bigger than football, for me human rights are definitely one of them, and the message this adulation and heralding of the Saudis as saviours is sending is an awful look for the league, fans, city and the country.  

Id love new ownership, but not at the expense of values. We’ve turned down Middle Eastern investment regularly, and I’m very proud that the club hasn’t gone down that path, and I know the vast majority of fanbase would be extremely uncomfortable with it, particularly with our Jewish roots.

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s exactly the time for Newcastle fans to stand up and challenge new ownership… clearly a lack of investment in the club is worse than murdering journalists and treating women with utter disdain.  They should absolutely be made to carry the burden for celebrating these people taking over their club and the city of Newcastle. There are things bigger than football, for me human rights are definitely one of them, and the message this adulation and heralding of the Saudis as saviours is sending is an awful look for the league, fans, city and the country.  

Id love new ownership, but not at the expense of values. We’ve turned down Middle Eastern investment regularly, and I’m very proud that the club hasn’t gone down that path, and I know the vast majority of fanbase would be extremely uncomfortable with it, particularly with our Jewish roots.

I look forward to Spurs fans boycotting their game with us in protest. Oh.

These people invest in much of your daily life, it's a national question. The nation allows them in under our rules, to allow them in to chip away at them to change back home. The model is to allow positive relationships with an overarching reputational challenge to bring about change. Whether anyone likes it or not Newcastle and Tyneside's role in that kind of relationship is now primarily the positive aspect to this diplomacy, yes with some negative questioning and the local press will get that ball rolling. I accept that we as a club are fair game when it comes to Saudi reputation now. I'd prefer if we weren't, but I will defend the community from attacks by hypocrits. Why is it OK for you to benefit from dodgy arab money in your life but it's not ok for the Newcastle United fan with a tea towel on his head, the Geordie should sacrifice his football club at the alter, he should carry the weight of it all whilst you continue to sacrifice nothing. That will help maintain the myth of football being more virtuous than other businesses probably. Have them take this money that will bring jobs to Tyneside and fuel south east house prices some more instead perhaps. We will see a lot of people tweet about how a brick layer from Heaton should be burning his club to the ground in anger, completely unaware of Saudi funding to keep twitter going. 

Herein lies the hypocrisy that comes with having an opinion on this takeover. Beware anyone who claims to be virtuous and clean for they are simply part of the big dirty lie that besets the United Kingdom. Watch how easy the middle class target working class blokes with Saudi flags, far easier and comfortably than anything else they've bothered to do to rid their country of investment from people that are wrong'uns. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Selective outrage though isn't it? Not in the wrong for being against it, but football as an industry is rooted in so many inequalities. Production of merchandise, gentrification of local areas from newly built stadiums (your stadium, much like the Emirates, won't do a lot of good for poorer people actually from Tottenham, same with the Emirates for people in Highbury/Holloway Road/Finsbury Park), football club's using the local area to promote themselves and then making millions of pounds and reinvesting only a tiny percentage of that back into the community.

To fall back onto the argument of not doing something at the expense of your own values is fairly hypocritical seeing as the Premier League is a breeding ground for unchecked capitalism and inequality.

Take your own club, thousands of fans nowadays with no Jewish heritage whatsoever taking it upon themselves to decide how the word Yid should be used. I can't imagine an appreciation for Jewish people and their culture is really at the heart of their thought processes.

8 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

These people invest in much of your daily life, it's a national question. The nation allows them in under our rules, to allow them in to chip away at them to change back home. The model is to allow positive relationships with an overarching reputational challenge to bring about change. Whether anyone likes it or not Newcastle and Tyneside's role in that kind of relationship is now primarily the positive aspect to this diplomacy, yes with some negative questioning and the local press will get that ball rolling. I accept that we as a club are fair game when it comes to Saudi reputation now. I'd prefer if we weren't, but I will defend the community from attacks by hypocrits. Why is it OK for you to benefit from dodgy arab money in your life but it's not ok for the Newcastle United fan with a tea towel on his head, the Geordie should sacrifice his football club at the alter, he should carry the weight of it all whilst you continue to sacrifice nothing. That will help maintain the myth of football being more virtuous than other businesses probably. Have them take this money that will bring jobs to Tyneside and fuel south east house prices some more instead perhaps. We will see a lot of people tweet about how a brick layer from Heaton should be burning his club to the ground in anger, completely unaware of Saudi funding to keep twitter going. 

Herein lies the hypocrisy that comes with having an opinion on this takeover. Beware anyone who claims to be virtuous and clean for they are simply part of the big dirty lie that besets the United Kingdom. Watch how easy the middle class target working class blokes with Saudi flags, far easier and comfortably than anything else they've bothered to do to rid their country of investment from people that are wrong'uns. 

Tbf MBS is leading a campaign of starvation on Yemen, an advocate for the Balkanisation of the country my mums from, and got caught ordering dismembering a journalist alive and sort of just got to shrug his shoulders and lol about it. And one of the biggest exporters of Wahhabism…

I’m not claiming to be a perfect person or anything, but you are now owned by a group chaired by one of the genuinely worst people alive imo.

So people are going to hate your club for him being involved with your club. Myself included.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf MBS is leading a campaign of starvation on Yemen, an advocate for the Balkanisation of the country my mums from, and got caught ordering dismembering a journalist alive and sort of just got to shrug his shoulders and lol about it. And one of the biggest exporters of Wahhabism…

I’m not claiming to be a perfect person or anything, but you are now owned by a group chaired by one of the genuinely worst people alive imo.

So people are going to hate your club for him being involved with your club. Myself included.

I accept that the club is intertwined with Saudi reputation now. That's part of it and I'm not telling you not to. I'm not telling you to stop calling him out at these football occasions or using the club to attack him. We are now part of British diplomacy and that is actually part of it. That's fucking awkward.

What I don't accept is the idea that the Newcastle fan should be boycotting and burning his club, especially when the people expecting that don't hold themselves to the same standards as they tweet or Facebook post whilst watching the Mandalorian among other collections of PIF funded things. 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I will not be attending. 

This is just a lot of words to try and justify that regime taking over a club and a city, and a fanbase celebrating something they absolutely should not be. You’re defending the indefensible in my opinion. It’s sportwashing pure and simple, just like Man City, PSG, but the Saudis probably the worst of the lot. Newcastle fans with Saudi flags, with tea towels on their head etc deserve as much condemnation as they get, and I hope that this continues to be highlighted by the press. And this goes for everything outside football too, the more noise and media around the actions of the regime there the better. 

Clearly we are not going to agree on this, but it’s extremely disappointing to see 

4 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I accept that the club is intertwined with Saudi reputation now. That's part of it and I'm not telling you not to. I'm not telling you to stop calling him out at these football occasions or using the club to attack him. We are now part of British diplomacy and that is actually part of it. That's fucking awkward.

What I don't accept is the idea that the Newcastle fan should be boycotting and burning his club, especially when the people expecting that don't hold themselves to the same standards as they tweet or Facebook post whilst watching the Mandalorian among other collections of PIF funded things. 

I hope this goes better than the last group of people the Saudis funded that also use black and white colours :ph34r:

In all seriousness, I think this is pretty shit because I liked Newcastle as a club. But now I think I might have to hate them more than Everton and United, and that’s weird.

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Danny said:

Selective outrage though isn't it? Not in the wrong for being against it, but football as an industry is rooted in so many inequalities. Production of merchandise, gentrification of local areas from newly built stadiums (your stadium, much like the Emirates, won't do a lot of good for poorer people actually from Tottenham, same with the Emirates for people in Highbury/Holloway Road/Finsbury Park), football club's using the local area to promote themselves and then making millions of pounds and reinvesting only a tiny percentage of that back into the community.

To fall back onto the argument of not doing something at the expense of your own values is fairly hypocritical seeing as the Premier League is a breeding ground for unchecked capitalism and inequality.

Take your own club, thousands of fans nowadays with no Jewish heritage whatsoever taking it upon themselves to decide how the word Yid should be used. I can't imagine an appreciation for Jewish people and their culture is really at the heart of their thought processes.

Not really, feel fully justified being critical of them, as I have been in my day job also. Fully disagree with you on your point about the new stadium. We built it on the high road right at the heart of the community. Our ownership do many things wrong but community engagement is not one of them, the amount of jobs that new stadium has created, the new community facilities, the income it brings to local businesses and families. Tottenham needs the football club.  

This is just such whataboutery now though - not sure the financial inequalities in the premier league are the same as the human rights violations of a nation state using sport to improve their image. 

An appreciation of Jewish people is exactly why that word was and is chanted. You’ve never been in our ends when we still experience anti Semitic abuse to this day. In the 70s and 80s it was obviously horrific and owning that word and solidarity with the Jewish community and identity lessened the impact of that abuse. 

• Subscriber

You can't begrudge them it after decades of Mike Ashley but you need more than just money to break into the elite bunch of clubs. We've found that out the hard way. Even though people point at Everton and say they've spent lots of money, and it is a lot more than the likes of Leicester and others outside of the Super League Six, but I'm not talking about how well the money has been spent, our outlay remains absolutely dwarfed by Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, to a lesser extent Liverpool and to an even lesser extent Spurs, because of Financial Fair Play. Newcastle could literally have a never-ending supply of money from their backers but because of Financial Fair Play, they won't be able to spend more than the Super League Six even if they want to so they'll still get outstripped on development of facilities, marketing, transfers, wages and basically everything else you'd need to change the competitive order. It's all just stupid anyway. The amount of money and the politics together is just tedious and boring now to be honest. I'm actually annoyed I've read anything about it and opened this thread to comment because I like to pretend none of it exists and just focus on the actual matches at the weekend. As soon as you start digging into this side of things, it basically ruins football from where I'm standing. Although just for the getting rid of Mike Ashley factor I can absolutely see why Newcastle fans won't feel like this is ruining anything.

44 minutes ago, Storts said:

I will not be attending. 

This is just a lot of words to try and justify that regime taking over a club and a city, and a fanbase celebrating something they absolutely should not be. You’re defending the indefensible in my opinion. It’s sportwashing pure and simple, just like Man City, PSG, but the Saudis probably the worst of the lot. Newcastle fans with Saudi flags, with tea towels on their head etc deserve as much condemnation as they get, and I hope that this continues to be highlighted by the press. And this goes for everything outside football too, the more noise and media around the actions of the regime there the better. 

Clearly we are not going to agree on this, but it’s extremely disappointing to see 

I'm not justifying the PiF takeover. I'm challenging the navel gazing I'm reading. I sat through debates hosted by Chi Onwurah and including guests from Amnesty International. Their views on what to do if it happens etc, what the role of the community and fan is and has been. Not people who take things lightly. From that I determined a view in what is complex for a Newcastle fan. I just don't accept this navel gazing which I think comes easily to you precisely because football encourages you to treat us as others. So easy to cast judgment and moral expectations onto others.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You can't begrudge them it after decades of Mike Ashley but you need more than just money to break into the elite bunch of clubs. We've found that out the hard way. Even though people point at Everton and say they've spent lots of money, and it is a lot more than the likes of Leicester and others outside of the Super League Six, but I'm not talking about how well the money has been spent, our outlay remains absolutely dwarfed by Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, to a lesser extent Liverpool and to an even lesser extent Spurs, because of Financial Fair Play. Newcastle could literally have a never-ending supply of money from their backers but because of Financial Fair Play, they won't be able to spend more than the Super League Six even if they want to so they'll still get outstripped on development of facilities, marketing, transfers, wages and basically everything else you'd need to change the competitive order. It's all just stupid anyway. The amount of money and the politics together is just tedious and boring now to be honest. I'm actually annoyed I've read anything about it and opened this thread to comment because I like to pretend none of it exists and just focus on the actual matches at the weekend. As soon as you start digging into this side of things, it basically ruins football from where I'm standing. Although just for the getting rid of Mike Ashley factor I can absolutely see why Newcastle fans won't feel like this is ruining anything.

Kevin Maguire reckons it is possible possible spend about £170m within fair play. 

However despite the talk of us being at the top, Staveley has said before that's not the overnight goal, we'll be spending the next 3-5 years trying to get to the top 5-8. It's a slow burner.

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Kevin Maguire reckons it is possible possible spend about £170m within fair play. 

However despite the talk of us being at the top, Staveley has said before that's not the overnight goal, we'll be spending the next 3-5 years trying to get to the top 5-8. It's a slow burner.

Yeah that's the thing. I don't know if that takes into account wage expenditure but while £170m in a year is a lot for a non-top 6 side and a lot for a team who have had the financial restraints that Newcastle have had under Ashley, the going rate for a decent top half Premier League player now is £30m and if you want even a single player of the quality that the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd are shopping for, you're going up to more like £50m. It'll be tough and it's probably realistic that it will take about 3 seasons to get established in that "maybe we can sneak 7th" tier with Everton and West Ham.