talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

Money provides the floor. Coaching and management provides the ceiling. Our floor has been raised.

Manchester United and Arsenal for example should have been bottom half maybe even relegated at least once in the last decade, but their floor won't allow it.

Idk if that's necessarily true - Chelsea and Everton have spent a lot of money over the past few seasons (Everton less so after they started running into FFP troubles), Everton's floor appears to be facing the real prospect of relegation. Chelsea's floor is harder to judge - is this season just a blip fro the chaos of having an owner willing to spend a lot but without having an actual clue of what he's doing? Forest also... bought enough players to fill 2 starting lineups - but I wouldn't say their recruitment was particularly competent... just throwing money at players to bring in bodies.

Competence provides the floor. Ashley didn't have competence or money tbh. I hate the Saudi government and think they're absolute scum, but you look at their investment portfolio and it's pretty clear they're very competent investors.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Idk if that's necessarily true - Chelsea and Everton have spent a lot of money over the past few seasons (Everton less so after they started running into FFP troubles), Everton's floor appears to be facing the real prospect of relegation. Chelsea's floor is harder to judge - is this season just a blip fro the chaos of having an owner willing to spend a lot but without having an actual clue of what he's doing? Forest also... bought enough players to fill 2 starting lineups - but I wouldn't say their recruitment was particularly competent... just throwing money at players to bring in bodies.

Competence provides the floor. Ashley didn't have competence or money tbh. I hate the Saudi government and think they're absolute scum, but you look at their investment portfolio and it's pretty clear they're very competent investors.

Evertons line up is not really an expensive one or tipping money in all the time.

Chelsea don't deserve many of their wins. They'd be bottom 3 if not for superior players.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't really know about that. If you can't get 3 points against a dysfunctional side, you probably deserved to lose.

Bottom 3 sides aren't dysfunctional for 38 games. No one is, except the rare occasion someone is bottom of the table woeful, thats never all 6 or 7 of the relegation scrap. Performance form, like for every team in every position will ebb and flow throughout the season. You can be ok and still not deserve to have won the game.

Chelsea had wins that could have easily been draws. Had they been so then what they have descended into now they'd be in the mix.

Before the money disparity a club could win the league and be in the bottom half the next season. And vice versa. Money is not a coincidence here. 

The money clubs can finish top 6 and everyone say how shit they looked throughout the season. Whereas for Brighton to finish top 6 they're never allowed to be shit for anywhere near as many games. That's the money disparity which causes that. Bailing bad teams out all the time. That's the floor.

Whether 2nd or 7th Manchester United seem to always be in or one game away from crisis. Moaning all the time. £1bn spent and in two cup finals but they still want the owners out. This is because they're not actually any good anymore but they can buy being up there. In another era where income didn't cause such disparity they'd be nowhere near the top post fergie as they've never had a good team.

Only good teams would make the top in a well balanced league.

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The key reason for your teams wonderful run of success was smart recruitment,  not quantum of money even though in totality you did spend a lot of money to get there.   I am done being apologetic about having the potential to spend money as it is how the game works,  no poor teams every sustain a challenge.

I don't have to sit here and mouthpiece for political affairs in Saudi Arabia,  the Club is invested in by Saudi Arabia and they are very interested in a return on investment however the deeper lying political issues should not detract from how the Club is being run and by whom,  Amanda Staveley may be the face of the club but the Club is run by Dan Ashworth,  he is the guy that pulls all the strings.   

The whole "they sold their soul" argument is also tired,  the take over didn't sell a soul,  it restored a soul to a dying football club that was long bereft of meaning or purpose.   Having new ownership which yes has the Saudi's but the Reubens bring over 20Bn in net wealth and are interested in a Newcastle metro overhaul that will turn Newcastle into massive attraction for growth and sustainability.   That all said nobody is interfering with the football decisions,  that rests solely in the hands of Ashworth and the team behind the doors. 

In case you haven't been following,  we have signed over 10 new scouts and data analysts from rivals,  the purpose is to improve our scouting network which was neglected under the Ashley regime.   I think our goal is to get Brighton sustainability with the ability to bring in star names when they are needed. 

4 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The key reason for your teams wonderful run of success was smart recruitment,  not quantum of money even though in totality you did spend a lot of money to get there.   I am done being apologetic about having the potential to spend money as it is how the game works,  no poor teams every sustain a challenge.

I don't have to sit here and mouthpiece for political affairs in Saudi Arabia,  the Club is invested in by Saudi Arabia and they are very interested in a return on investment however the deeper lying political issues should not detract from how the Club is being run and by whom,  Amanda Staveley may be the face of the club but the Club is run by Dan Ashworth,  he is the guy that pulls all the strings.   

The whole "they sold their soul" argument is also tired,  the take over didn't sell a soul,  it restored a soul to a dying football club that was long bereft of meaning or purpose.   Having new ownership which yes has the Saudi's but the Reubens bring over 20Bn in net wealth and are interested in a Newcastle metro overhaul that will turn Newcastle into massive attraction for growth and sustainability.   That all said nobody is interfering with the football decisions,  that rests solely in the hands of Ashworth and the team behind the doors. 

In case you haven't been following,  we have signed over 10 new scouts and data analysts from rivals,  the purpose is to improve our scouting network which was neglected under the Ashley regime.   I think our goal is to get Brighton sustainability with the ability to bring in star names when they are needed. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night pal

• 4 weeks later...

It's great to be back in Europe. The first 15 years of my footballing life we were nearly always in Europe. It was a defining feature of that generation. I'm glad for the poor buggers who've only ever known Mike Ashley that they'll get to see Newcastle in Europe and not be trapped living the Nottingham Forest effect of 16 year old lads clinging onto an identity from before they were born.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

It's plain as day that they'd be doing the same sort of financial doping for their sportwashing project as their Emirati puppets. So it's not really surprising - I wouldn't expect them to try to hide it.

• Subscriber

They literally had an official from the Saudi government on the pitch taking penalties at half time the other night. Hardly much of a secret is it? xD

Why bother covering it up though when the FA are clearly fine with it for all their noise about fit and proper ownership?

On 24/05/2023 at 21:02, RandoEFC said:

They literally had an official from the Saudi government on the pitch taking penalties at half time the other night. Hardly much of a secret is it? xD

Why bother covering it up though when the FA are clearly fine with it for all their noise about fit and proper ownership?

Have I missed something or are you just referring to the non-Executive Chairman of Newcastle United, Yasir Al-Rumayyan, whose name has been on the takeover since day one and was on the pitch at full time? Co-owners Jamie Rueben and Mehrhad Ghodoussi were taking part in a half time challenge on the pitch as far as I am aware.

The Saudi state owns Newcastle United via the Public Investment Fund which is headed up by Al-Rumayyan. He's the face of it. In all Western business press all the time. The man cutting the deals. His face is going to be wherever Newcastle's success is because that is the point of it all. To enable business deals, to enable the PiF to grow its fund to over $1trn by softening up businesses to dealing with the PiF.

I'm not really sure what is supposed to be covered up? Nothing says he has to hide away. The deal with the Premier League is that PiF are not allowed to control Newcastle United. Not that the Saudi state don't have the ability to. Hence shareholders Amanda Staveley and Jamie Rueben are the executive directors. 

How you ever prove PiF are running the club is the difficult part. As Masters alluded to.

On 24/05/2023 at 17:13, Fairy In Boots said:

Same as City really, cheating plain and simple

It seems to me that the rules have been specifically written so this should be done like this. As a mechanism of some sort of control over input values. 

If this was 1996 John Hall would have to plaster Metro Centre branding all over a training kit so we could buy Shearer.

When there is Tesla, SpaceX or Twitter then Elon Musk is all over the news,  if it is Amazon related then Bezos is all over the news,  imagine being pissed off when the person running the show is doing something community orientated.  

I think people are trying so hard to be pissed off about something,  that they come across as salty little bitches. 

Per the latest wealth rankings,  the Reubens are valued at nigh on 26Bn,  Staveley's group around 1.5bn and the PIF is around 700bn and growing rapidly,  i find it funny how there are few b-tec writers on the Athletic constantly whining yet their salary is funded by the PIF that owns majority stakeholding in the Athletic along with shares in other major brands.   

This shirt sponsor is 25m a season,  that is not even top 10 in the premier league and everyone is losing their shit. 

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Bezos and Musk have never done anything community oriented in their lives  except take giant shits on people.

in most I would agree but they do have PR charity events like all massive corporate entities.  

I find it funny how people at the top playing football oriented games ticks certain insecure people off.  

if we had a sponsor come in with 300m a season I'd consider that suspicious but even 25m a season and castore would take us to 30m for kit supplier and shirt sponsorship which is less than Leicester's shirt sponsorship and about a third of what Adidas pays man United a season.

fun88 and castore valued 13m a season combined which is the lowest in the premier league by a long way, Mike Ashley filtered that money back into sports direct yet somehow when our new backers want to expand the investment potential it's a bad thing.

it will pass the FA rules as it is well under the 50% value test which is used.   

All this crying  about a sponsorship deal worth 25 million? The 7th highest amount in the league for the team that's just finished 4th? If anything it is under market value.

Leicester owned by thais and sponsored by thai companies Newcastle part owned by Saudis no surprise that Saudi companies would be involved in sponsorship. Sela has existed since 1995 has sponsored la liga since 2017.

10 hours ago, Devil said:

I've got to admit that training facility is a little bit underwhelming considering the money Newcastle have got.

Seems small pokey.

Seeing how it was left by Ashley,  it was a bit like that scene from The Waterboy where Bobby first meets coach klein in the tutorial room and sees the trash can full of water.  That is kind of how it was.   The pitch was also hard as rock which was said to be a contributor to long injuries.  Since the new upgrades that hasn't happened.   They have ice baths now,  not a drum filled with water and ice. 

Sure its not as bling bling as leicester,  but we also don't have 100's of millions of debt to pay back for a training facility.