talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Discussion

football forum

Mikel Merino talking to The Guardian:

“In Dortmund no one recognised me but when I walk the streets the Newcastle fans show me their love.

“I’m really happy with the people in Newcastle, they’re very kind, always trying to help you. I didn’t expect that.

“I thought English people would be cold, dry and not kind but I was wrong and I’m happy about it. I didn’t expect all the laughter and jokes you have here.

“I live 15 minutes from the city centre and it’s so close to the countryside and the coast, I often go to the beaches here – there’s much more to do in Newcastle than in Dortmund. I feel at home here.

“It (call-up for Spanish senior side) is probably not ready to happen right now but I hope to be in the squad in the near future.

“I think I can achieve that playing for Newcastle; why not?

“Growing up in Spain you’re expected to play tiki-taka and I like that type of football but I can do other things too. I want to be good with the ball but I’m tall and quite physical and I’m trying to be a complete midfielder.

“In Spain you learn that football has to be played in the head; it’s not only running and physical things.

“Spain has always had great central midfielders and, while of course they’re good technically, they are also very good mentally. They know what to do and when, and they’re always thinking about the game and how they can help their team.

“We are a young squad and the most important thing is that we all trust each other, I’m learning a lot from Rafa. I always had ability to read games but I’m understanding more now.

“He looks after the small tactical details and teaches you how every single little thing can be important. In training he’s very professional and expects you to be completely focused but off the pitch Rafa’s a really nice guy. He always takes care of you."

• Upvote 1

Pedro Gallese linked with Newcastle. You lot short on keepers?

It appears Nolberto Solano is the referent behind this.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Pedro Gallese linked with Newcastle. You lot short on keepers?

It appears Nolberto Solano is the referent behind this.

We are after a new first team keeper but any rumours are pointless at the moment due to the ongoing takeover.

The level of player we can sign could dramatically go up if the new owner isn't afraid of wages like the current one is.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

We are after a new first team keeper but any rumours are pointless at the moment due to the ongoing takeover.

The level of player we can sign could dramatically go up if the new owner isn't afraid of wages like the current one is.

I wouldn't rule this one out - not because of the rumour itself but rather who is referencing them. In this case, Solano. I don't know if the club are genuinely after him yet.

It may well be after the World Cup. If we qualify as expected and Gallese performs well, that's the key. As for how I rate him, he's a very good keeper but I cannot guarantee he'll do well at Newcastle for a few factors. The rhythm is different and he may struggle at first. Lots of keepers have had problems here, prime example being Claudio Bravo.

The big one for me though is fan pressure. He's played for USMP, Juan Aurich and Veracruz. None of those 3 teams have a fan base anywhere near as demanding as Newcastle. Juan Aurich are a big club in Peru but with relatively calm fans. Veracruz are really just a normal local club and USMP fans don't exist. Newcastle fans are much more demanding and while he has done well to handle the early pressure in Mexico, I feel this is a different challenge all together.

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

I wouldn't rule this one out - not because of the rumour itself but rather who is referencing them. In this case, Solano. I don't know if the club are genuinely after him yet.

It may well be after the World Cup. If we qualify as expected and Gallese performs well, that's the key. As for how I rate him, he's a very good keeper but I cannot guarantee he'll do well at Newcastle for a few factors. The rhythm is different and he may struggle at first. Lots of keepers have had problems here, prime example being Claudio Bravo.

The big one for me though is fan pressure. He's played for USMP, Juan Aurich and Veracruz. None of those 3 teams have a fan base anywhere near as demanding as Newcastle. Juan Aurich are a big club in Peru but with relatively calm fans. Veracruz are really just a normal local club and USMP fans don't exist. Newcastle fans are much more demanding and while he has done well to handle the early pressure in Mexico, I feel this is a different challenge all together.

Can he speak English? Communication is key at the back, it's pointless signing anyone who can't speak the lingo.

4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Can he speak English? Communication is key at the back, it's pointless signing anyone who can't speak the lingo.

I'm pretty sure he can't but I can only see it being a slight problem. The manager is Spanish and there are a few players from Spain as well. Rafa with his experience can figure it out.

... it's up to Gallese to try and understand the awful Spaniard accents now :ph34r: @SirBalon

Rafa could take us to the Northern Alliance league and I would forever be grateful to him for that.

Not only is the lad absolutely fucking dross he is clearly a prick as well. Happy to sit in our reserves and getting a handsome pay for doing so. Hope when his contract is up he doesn't get another club the pale skinned little spacker.

12 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Some Indonesian news source has said that Staveley and Ashley have agreed a £300m deal

A little bit of wee just came out 

I think you need to go into a home

• The title was changed to Newcastle United Discussion - Staveley Takeover Bid Submitted