talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Takumi Minamino Signs for Liverpool

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

At that price and the fact that he has assists as well as goals in his locker I don't think you'd begrudge anyone trying to break the release clause and get him. Great signing for us and I can see him adding another attack formation to what we have. 

Anybody heard any news lately regarding my young friend at Palace and what Woy is planning next!. I have always had great respect for Woy since our time at the final in 1997, but lately that is diminishing with what he is doing to young Max.  As usual, Max is keeping quiet about any developments - his normal respectful approach to life - so I hope something can be resolved in January.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:37, The Artful Dodger said:

Have people seen that much of him to able to tell? Couple of games against you in the Champions League does not a terrific signing make.

Yes, I've watched him over the last 2 seasons for Salzburg, where he has been one of the key players in the team. The Austrian League is not the yardstick to measure how good he is, but his performances in last season's Europa League and the Europa League of the 2017/18 season(where Salzburg reached the semi-finals), were on the whole excellent. He has performed very well against teams such as Celtic, Marseille, Real Sociedad, Dortmund, RB Leipzig, Lazio, Napoli, Brugge and he even scored a hat-trick against Rosenborg.

However, having said that, there is no guarantee that he will succeed at Liverpool. He's making a huge step up from the Austrian League to the Premier League. The competition at Liverpool will be great. The rigours of the Premier League will be a real test for him, he will have to display acceptable performances week in week out against very strong opposition. Will he be able to do that? Is he physically strong enough to withstand the weekly demands of the EPL? We will have to wait and see, but if his transfer fee is only commanding £7.25 million, then in my mind, he is well worth the gamble.

• Subscriber

How on earth has nobody gotten on that until now? There is literally no down side to this signing at that price. Even if he's shit you'll still make profit. Probably £20mil to Bournemouth.

• Subscriber

Minamino is a bit of a strange case I think. While his potential and talent were always obvious and he has put a lot of very good performances for Salzburg throughout the years, he still struggled to become a regular starter for them during his 4 season stay. In fact I'd say most of his top performances (until this season) were the ones were he was subbed in while he often disappeared in matches where he was in the starting XI. Consistency seemed to be an issue in particular. And then his performances suddenly exploded this season. Not sure if it's a manager change and newly found confidence, or just everything falling into right places allowing him to finally live up to his potential, but he's definitely been in a top form and has finally been delivering on a regular basis. 

I hope he'll do well in Liverpool. Physical side of football there could be challenging for him, but I think he could become a sort of a "super sub" for them. And as others said, for that kind of price there's hardly any risk at all.

• Administrator

Signed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50849473

Liverpool have confirmed they will sign winger Takumi Minamino from Red Bull Salzburg when the transfer window opens on 1 January.

The Japan international, who is thought to have a release clause of £7.25m, has signed a four-and-a-half-year deal until summer 2024.

Minamino, 24, has scored nine goals and provided 11 assists in 22 appearances for the Austrian side this season.

"It has been a dream, my dream to become a Liverpool player," he said.

Minamino finalised personal terms and passed a medical on Merseyside on Wednesday.

"To play in the Premier League was one of my targets," he added.

"I think this is the top-class league in the world. I was thinking if my career as a footballer progressed smoothly, someday I would be able to play in the Premier League.

"But I never thought I would be able to play in this team and I'm really happy about it. I'm looking forward to it."

Minamino played in both of his side's Champions League group games against the Reds this season, scoring in the 4-3 defeat at Anfield in October.

Despite that, he would be eligible to play for the European champions in the knockout stages of the tournament following a rule change by Uefa last year.

"From those games I learned this team has such a high level of technique and intensity," he said.

"Their football is of such a high level and I did feel that they were the champions of the Champions League. Feeling that, it makes me feel even happier that I can play in this team. I'm really happy to be part of that team.

"My target is to win the Premier League and the Champions League, and to make good contributions to the team."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says the fans know what to expect from Minamino having seen him face the Reds recently.

"Takumi is a very quick, very clever player - he finds space between the lines," added Klopp.

"He is brave with the ball but also brave without the ball - a proper team player. He makes the best of himself for the benefit of others.

"His Champions League experience is a big bonus and coming from the club and organisation he does, we know he'll be well coached, used to an elite environment and had all the right experiences."

• The title was changed to Takumi Minamino Signs for Liverpool

Very happy with this. Low risk and potentially an extremely high reward if he can perform consistently like he did against us. Not great news for Shaqiri mind (who very much has to improve his offerings on the pitch in the coming months).

54 minutes ago, Rick said:

Very happy with this. Low risk and potentially an extremely high reward if he can perform consistently like he did against us. Not great news for Shaqiri mind (who very much has to improve his offerings on the pitch in the coming months).

I mean, Shaqiri hasn't been a world beater by any means but his output when called upon is pretty decent. 

Since joining hes played in about 29 league games (many as a sub) and has scored or assisted 10 goals. 

I'm not sure much more could be expected from a player that's never had a run of games for us and has also suffered a few injuries along the way?

• Subscriber

I am curious when we will actually see him play. I get the feeling it won't be till the new year and am I right in saying that with the new ruling he is not cup tied to his previous employer so he is free to play in the CL for us?

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I am curious when we will actually see him play. I get the feeling it won't be till the new year and am I right in saying that with the new ruling he is not cup tied to his previous employer so he is free to play in the CL for us?

Given it can't go through until 1st January, I'd say that's a given!xD he'll make his debut in the FA Cup v Everton. Yeah he's free to play in the CL because Salzburg went out

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Given it can't go through until 1st January, I'd say that's a given!xD he'll make his debut in the FA Cup v Everton. Yeah he's free to play in the CL because Salzburg went out

So does that mean if Salzburg were still in the CL then he couldn't play? Seems a bit odd that rule and I'd assume it was that he couldn't play against his parent club in the CL but against other teams it would be fine.

8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

So does that mean if Salzburg were still in the CL then he couldn't play? Seems a bit odd that rule and I'd assume it was that he couldn't play against his parent club in the CL but against other teams it would be fine.

Yeah the rule changed a couple of years ago.

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You only have a parent club if you are on loan mate. Hes signed permanently. 

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Sadio Mane came from Red Bull Salzburg, and look at him now. Considered one of the best in the world.

That should be his inspiration for such a big move.

And Naby Kieta, although he still needs to carry on his current form to be put in the same bracket.

Archived