talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Television Coverage

football forum

Best Television Coverage in Britain  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Whose coverage do you prefer to watch a game?

• BBC
    • BT Sport
    • ITV
    • Sky Sports

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Sky Sports.

Mainly because I can't stand the commentators on BT Sport but I'm grateful for the amount of matches they cover. 

Dross like Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves and Steve McManaman sometimes make BT Sport unbearabale. Glenn Hoddle does my head in occasionally especially when he's on the mic for Spurs game. I remember when Kane missed a penalty and he said it was a 'positive penalty'. The fuck you on about mate.

Sky Sports actually spend some time analysing in depth and I rate Gary Neville for his insight in to that aspect of the coverage. He can get so miserable and frustrated when a team isn't playing well though xD. And I do enjoy Thierry Henry's views on the game because of my respect for him as a player and the way he played the game. They're negated by people like Paul Merson who's head is in the wrong place at times.

When it comes to BBC, they have similar levels of nutters as BT Sport - Danny Murphy, Jason Roberts (on Final Score) Jermaine Jenas are your 'flavour of the month' kind of pundits. They seem to miss the big picture and just say what people want to hear. 

I am thankful to BT Sport for one thing though - their coverage of European Leagues - so much Bundesliga and Serie A games. And obviously Champions League/Europa League football. 

2 minutes ago, StanLCFC said:

Dross like Michael Owen, Owen Hargreaves and Steve McManaman sometimes make BT Sport unbearabale. Glenn Hoddle does my head in occasionally especially when he's on the mic for Spurs game.

That's exactly what I'm on about...  It does indeed make it unbearable and I've actually switched off on an occasion or two and just listened on the radio because of them.

I can't be arsed watching studio analysis so the only judgment I can make is on commentary. All of them have too many crap co-commentators. The bias stinks as well and I don't know why Southampton fans who didn't get to go to the final should have to listen to Gary Neville. The pace and tone of his voice fluctuated throughout the game in favour of Man Utd, that's just crap in my opinion.

I voted for SkySports, mainly due to some of the things already mentioned.  I think their coverage is a lot crisper than the others and the overall banter can be quite good as well (Neville vs Carragher, for example).

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

I can't be arsed watching studio analysis so the only judgment I can make is on commentary. All of them have too many crap co-commentators. The bias stinks as well and I don't know why Southampton fans who didn't get to go to the final should have to listen to Gary Neville. The pace and tone of his voice fluctuated throughout the game in favour of Man Utd, that's just crap in my opinion.

this is the issue I have with BT as well. They seem to get a lot of Liverpool games and there's a lot of Liverpool influence with the likes of Owen, McManaman and now Gerrard joining them. I'm sure I've seen David James and Gary McAllister on there before as well. 

I just can't bring myself to vote for Sky due to Niall Quinn. United and Liverpool commentators can be a tad bias at times, but no fucker takes the piss like he does. He makes no effort to hide his disdain for any opposition playing Citeh or Sunderland. The blokes a complete pelican.

I used to always be critical of both sky and ITV but their coverage of the Champions league was light years ahead of the utter crap we get on BT. The pundits especially are an embarrassment.

Sky have gone downhill, but that is due to sacking certain people and losing rights to big competitions, although they still beat BT, who are dreadful.

I miss watching Champions League games on ITV also. They did a spot on job when you look back now.

Sky

Neville is really starting to grate on me, Souness (the worst on Sky) is obsessed with physicality, never seen Redknapp come out with anything thought provoking/interesting, Carragher is respectable enough, Henry is my favourite on there.

BT

Alongside Souness, Darren Fletcher is my worst as I really can't stand his voice and manner for some reason. Moaner McManaman, for a more cultured footballer if you like he really does seem to look at football in a black and white sort of way. I like Hoddle more so because of the footballer and manager he was, when he first came into punditry I thought he was head and shoulders above anyone but now less so (maybe because he's everywhere at the moment I don't know). Hargreaves is actually respectable in my eyes.

MOTD

Majority are shite, my favourite by miles being Ruud Gullit and it's a shame he's on it a lot less.

Rebel makes a good point about ITV and Champions League, maybe because I was young at the time and now look back positively on it but I did like the ITV coverage, Peter Drury being my favourite main commentator, it's a shame he tends to do the lesser games now. 

The majority who do the England games on ITV are poor as well, does Dixon do anything else but just analyse defensive mistakes?

The worse lot of the bunch are Sky Sports and La Liga though, really bad. When Balague isn't chatting shite about transfers etc, his game analysis and the pure football stuff is good, like the tactical side to games but then again in my experience Spaniards tend to be a lot more glued up on the tactical side of football anyway. Terry Gibson can have his moments I guess. 

• Administrator

Talking of Sky Sports and La Liga, can we take a moment to appreciate Ray Hudson xD. Legend. The amount of metaphors he churns out is incredible.

One of my favourites is when he called a Ronaldo free-kick a 'wet dream of orgasmic proportions' and that it had 'more curve than Jessica Rabbit on steroids'

Amazing.

13 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Moaner McManaman, for a more cultured footballer if you like he really does seem to look at football in a black and white sort of way.

He's also very very biassed which I hate...  Michael Owen is biassed too but on top of that he doesn't seem to know absolutely nothing whatsoever about the sport which is incredible.

• Subscriber

I voted BT Sport simply because I can watch it on the tele rather than logging into Sky Go to watch on Sky Sports. I don't think much of BBC/ITV coverage though I'll tend to watch Match of the Day.

The analysis on Sky's Monday Night Football is the best you'll see, the combination of their technology and the honest punditry of Neville and Carragher is the real strength there. However, I can't go without mentioning something about Sky Sports which isn't really part of their coverage, but I still can't believe the fact that they use Football Manager stats on Sky Sports News during the transfer window. Also I know people love Soccer Saturday but it's just not for me, I find the 'banter' between the usual crew on there to be completely cringeworthy and the fact that they always do a "best of Soccer Saturday" montage at the end of the season is entirely self indulgent and is never funny.

BT's pundits aren't at the same standard as Sky Sports and the coverage in general can be quite cringeworthy, but I think their Saturday evening show "Premier League tonight" is much better than the post-match chit chat on Sky Sports and their coverage has come on a lot in general since they started broadcasting the Premier League in earnest. Jake Humphrey is a decent anchor too. I wouldn't be surprised if BT were setting the standard in another 3 years or so.

Ian Darke was on BT last night. Now that is a commentator. He's excellent and always been one of my favourites since I was a young 'un and he used to do the boxing. He's got the voice and passion for it and has a wide-range of knowledge about sport in general. Other than him, BT is woeful unfortunately. Which is a shame as I could see them having pretty much everything eventually at this rate.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Ian Darke was on BT last night. Now that is a commentator. He's excellent and always been one of my favourites since I was a young 'un and he used to do the boxing. He's got the voice and passion for it and has a wide-range of knowledge about sport in general. Other than him, BT is woeful unfortunately. Which is a shame as I could see them having pretty much everything eventually at this rate.

talking of commentators, I used to love Peter Brackley commentating on games. 

Think he did This Is Football commentary and some of the PES games, too.

9 hours ago, StanLCFC said:

talking of commentators, I used to love Peter Brackley commentating on games. 

Think he did This Is Football commentary and some of the PES games, too.

The problem are often the co-commentators like Mcmanaman. He's absolutely awful and makes me cringe

ITV's coverage of the Champions League was far superior to BT, great commentators and they always brought the best out of the tournament. Jon Champion and Peter Drury were great. Sky back in the day with Andy Gray was superb, say what you want, but I still think he was the best colour commentator. Overall Sky is probably the most superior, they have the overall best selection of pundits. 

BT has potential especially with Lineker on board, but they need to phase out shite pundits like Owen. Hargreaves is very good for me and one of their best, I feel he is quite balanced and has a good understanding of European football.

Archived