talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Where Did You See Yourself?

football forum

To put it simply when you were eighteen where did you see yourself in the future and how does that compare to where you are now? I'm aware a good few of you are nearing thirty so thought it might be good to see where you stood.

This is something that's been on my mind a lot recently. Potentially self-doubt in my dream setting in but I'm genuinely interested in what you have to say.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rather not predict the future. I'm 19 and still have a long way to go to reach what I want to be. I'd say I'm on the right track and push myself well but honestly who knows. 

• Subscriber

At 18, I had absolutely no fucking clue where I would be in the future. I didn't even really know what I wanted, to be honest - I always had interest in a lot of things, but never wanted a career in any particular field; just knew that I wanted a stable income and enough freedom to do what I want in life. 14 years later, I'm happy with where I am and couldn't really have imagined it back then, but if I could go back, I'd do quite a few things differently in order to save time and take a few shortcuts, so to say. 

If you have a realistic dream, go for it - you still have around 10 years to waste without serious consequences anyway, haha. 

• Subscriber

In my late teens early twenties i smoked alot of drugs and played alot of video games and worked what at the time i thought was a dead end job. Ambition was not on my radar. My dead end job ended up moving up the ladder and became an automotive parts person, since then challenged my red seal exam and currently have been working in heavy duty for about 4 years now. Ive never really had anything mapped out but im happy with how its all gone. My only regret is i wish i got to travel more before having a mortgage as i found out, its alot harder to do now :what: im 28 now.

• Subscriber

Buried in studies and trying to learn how to actually navigate the workspace. Got into college at 17 so it kind of ruined the transitional period completely. Spent most of my younger years partying and just having a good time really. Did loads of travelling and spent most of my early 20s experimenting with stuff I wanted to work with (didn't make my folks happy one bit) but then it all kinda solidified itself right around 26 and then I got into the industry I've been in ever since. Always had a passion for software and in some ways I am glad for those early years because I think i'd have more to regret now if I hadn't gone on that crazy run. 

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

At 18 I fancied myself as a cock sure business man. 

After a while I realised I wasn't a big enough cunt for it.

Now I work in a job where my responsibility is holding those cunts to account.

So you're quite literally an administrator? Still pretty cool.

I wanted to be a commercial pilot when I was a teenager but my lack of interest in mathematics was my downfall and I was more interested in words rather than calculations when I was a kid.  From being a master in literature, history and theological studies, I transferred to being extremely good in everything sociological and thus what I do today where I can read people from literally reading how they blink when they see something.

Obviously as a kid kid I wanted to be a footballer...

9 hours ago, nudge said:

At 18, I had absolutely no fucking clue where I would be in the future. I didn't even really know what I wanted, to be honest - I always had interest in a lot of things, but never wanted a career in any particular field; just knew that I wanted a stable income and enough freedom to do what I want in life. 14 years later, I'm happy with where I am and couldn't really have imagined it back then, but if I could go back, I'd do quite a few things differently in order to save time and take a few shortcuts, so to say. 

If you have a realistic dream, go for it - you still have around 10 years to waste without serious consequences anyway, haha. 

This is pretty spot on with me. When I was 18, I didn't have the slightest clue what I wanted for myself out of life. I went to college, got a degree in English Linguistics and another in Latin, graduated having no idea what to do with my life. 

From then on, I have lived extensively in Russia and China, I'm married to a woman that is more beautiful than anyone I dated before, more compassionate, and more loyal as well. I am soon to be a father, and things are looking like I'll be living my miserable job after 10 years there so do something that I truly love and enjoy. 

I have certainly gone the long way to get to where I am today. I have royally fucked up on many fronts, and yet here I am, a home owner, in a great neighborhood, living a good life here in America. I beat myself up more than I should over how things are going and the fact that some of the things I did want when I was 18 have yet to come true (speak 10 languages fluently), but shit happens, plans changes, and my life has drastically improved every year since I was 18 so at the end of it all, I have nothing in the world to complain about. 

Great question. At 18, I worked as a business admin trainee, using my money on nights out and little holidays. I knew I was going to Uni the next year to study Sport Management. I initially wanted to link that with Journalism and become a sport journalist (quickly realised, that although I had the sports knowledge and interest, writing really wasn't my strong point). I also recall thinking if I wasn't going to be a sports journalist, I would work in the sport and recreation sector as some sort of program coordinator with the ambition to work for the football governing body of Western Australia. 10 years and a shit tonne of different experiences later, I am somehow a qualified teacher and am in my fourth (but first in Australia) year of teaching. Definitely didn't predict this outcome.

When I was 18 I was in my first year of uni, and now I'm 20 and in my 3rd year of uni. So, when it comes to my education/career, things are going pretty much as I expected. 

I didn't expect that I'd end up studying abroad and meeting so many new people, and being able to have basic communications in two new languages, so I have pleasantly surprised myself in other ways. 

At 18 i knew i wanted to be well paid and do something maths science related. I was attracted to medicine originally but mainly due to the competitiveness to get in among students. I would have struggled to be a doctor though in hindsight so it was s good choice to drop that from my uni preferences at the end of high school in favor of engineering. 

Went to uni thinking I'd  enrolled in an engineering course that had a common first year so i didn't need to decide whether mechanical,  electrical, civil etc until the second year. On getting to the front of the queue on enrollment day i was told that's not the case and i needed to pick now so i grabbed the form and stood off to the side of the line and ticked mechanical with not a lot of analysis. 

I'm happy with how its panned out from there. 

I didn't know housing would so quickly become unaffordable when i was that age so am not living in the house I'd hoped for at that age.  And i probably thought I'd still be playing football which hasn't eventuated but all things considered its been a decent ride and happy i've been able to achieve the lifestyle i wanted whilst doing a job i mostly enjoy. 

• Administrator

18 I was going to start university still not really knowing what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be. I knew I wanted a good job and find a decent girl (this i have now found!).

I had my eyes set on working in psychology, maybe as a child psychologist or sports psychologist. But deep down in my mind I knew I just wanted to get uni done with and start working. I never really wanted to do further qualifications. 

8 years down the line I'm in a job that is not psychology related but something that I love. Can't really complain at life now how it is but I definitely didn't know where I was gonna be at 18. Throughout school I always changed my passion for a career. Journalism. Sports journalism. Teacher. Author. Just a few that crossed my mind at one point or other. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

18 I was going to start university still not really knowing what I wanted to do or where I wanted to be. I knew I wanted a good job and find a decent girl (this i have now found!).

I had my eyes set on working in psychology, maybe as a child psychologist or sports psychologist. But deep down in my mind I knew I just wanted to get uni done with and start working. I never really wanted to do further qualifications. 

8 years down the line I'm in a job that is not psychology related but something that I love. Can't really complain at life now how it is but I definitely didn't know where I was gonna be at 18. Throughout school I always changed my passion for a career. Journalism. Sports journalism. Teacher. Author. Just a few that crossed my mind at one point or other. 

Haha, after having a hard time to choose, I ended up studying psychology too; social and organisational though. Was seriously considering a career as a researcher, but got extremely disillusioned with academia so after getting my master's, I decided I don't want to have anything to do with it anymore. In hindsight, it was a waste of time. Had a number of various jobs afterwards (logistics, transportation, translations, research), saved some money and moved abroad, have been working remotely as a database developer/data analyst of sorts for over 3 years now. 

• 4 years later...
  • Subscriber
On 04/05/2017 at 17:49, nudge said:

At 18 I never thought of the future. Was just chilling and pissing about so much. Some of us at that age thought the future would never come as we'd never age or grow older.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, MUFC said:

At 18 I never thought of the future. Was just chilling and pissing about so much. Some of us at that age thought the future would never come as we'd never age or grow older.

Very true xD Although to be fair, almost 18 years later, I still mostly don't have a clue xD 

Archived