talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game of the Year - 2019 Edition

football forum

• Subscriber

What a year its been for gaming. I think we got some excellent titles across various systems and it was actually quite nice for users on any system as game developers brought some freshness to their approach. Here's what I played this year that I found interesting and I'd love to hear what you thought/think were your best titles played this year.

The Good

• Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC) - I'm not sure where to classify this because it had enough to keep you interested but somehow I felt like it lacked something to keep the game mechanics fresh. The bosses were fairly simple to beat and while they gave you so many great tools to engage enemies they never really made the enemies hard enough where you didn't have to leave single light-saber mode to do some creative wanton-destruction. Still, its a great game and a great journey if you like Star Wars or are fan of the old KOTOR series.
  • Death Stranding (PS4) - I was so hyped for this one that when I finally got down to playing it I figured we'd get something outrageous. I wasn't wrong on the outrageous part but I think Kojima maybe tried to go too far out of his way here and the game mech is fantastic I just think that it lacks something that made Metal Gear such a great hit.
  • Control (PC) - If there's one PC game I recommend you play this year its this one. The mechanics are fan#$@#tastic and I can't praise the developer enough for their creative use of the environment in both mid-ground and boss fights. Freshest approach to a platformer/third-person shooter I have seen in a long long time. Console versions might be good but PC is where this truly shines.
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS4) - I have fond memories of playing this game a long time ago and the train sequence. What Capcom did give us this time around was a more polished game with a great way to explore the same environments in a way that I felt lent itself to survival horror more than the original. Ammo running out and scouring the halls waiting for enemies to show up or the ever present and chasing Mr. X are some of the best things about this game.
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4) - My yearly Darksouls fix came in the form of this ultra-defensive game which teaches you one thing ... patience. If you've got the time to kill and have the inclination to learn blocking as an art and not a counter this game will certainly teach you that. Mastering a boss kill and taking down enemies is actually an accomplishment and progressing in the story is a lot harder than most other titles I played this year.
  • Darksiders Genesis (PC) - THQ Nordic have done a fine job of taking the Darksiders franchise and introducing the last horseman (Strife) with War. I am still playing it but I like that they've done an overhead game and the horseman switches are quite seamless in battle too.
  • Gear 5 - Years after I said that Gears was a monotonous game which involved running and gunning (literally) I decided to go back to the franchise and while I think it added very little on the surface in terms of the campaign it was easy to get back into it. Is it a GOTY candidate? Nope. Is it fun? Yes
  • Mortal Kombat 11 (PS4) - This game is so deep its unbelievable how many hours you can plug into it and still not end up knowing enough to say you can stop. The game mechanics are fresh, although a few characters are clearly broken and their approach to honing your skills in the tower kombat systems are actually very useful if you want to play competitively. 
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch) - When Konami announced that a Castlevania game was coming to the Switch I was very excited. It's been a while since I have played a side-scroller like SoTN and while that was on its way I came across Bloodstained which is a Vania-Styled game. It is challenging and the levels are well crafted to keep you engaged. It might even be my favorite Switch game of 2019.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) - Whenever I play this game I think I need to vacuum my house. That put aside, its very fun and the exploration is very rewarding. I recommend this title to any Switch owner as a must-have just because its very well done and keeps in line with Nintendo's fun-first approach to gaming.
  • Untitled Goose Game (PC) - Way too many hours of fun annoying people in the game and this game is unbelievable amounts of fun to kill time.
  • Astral Chain (Switch) - If you liked Bayonetta 2 on the Switch you're going to feel right at home here. It is a hack-and-slash with some good mech to put aside it. I know that DMC5 made my "not so good" list but this one seems different and plays a bit better too.
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence (PC) - The story here is very compelling and the game itself is very immersive. I'd recommend playing it only on PC but I am sure the console editions are just as nice. I think it's even been nominated in the category of best story too.
  • Tetris 99 (Switch) - I don't know why I felt like this came out last year. It might be because it was such an early title but its loads of fun and they've just added a new Team Battle mode to make it even more fun.

The Not so Good

• Metro Exodus (PC) - This game is plagued with so many problems its hard where to start. Buggy shooting system, game hangs and other problems. Yes its pretty when it all works right but many a time you're wondering how they could have gone so wrong with some of the problems that plagued it from the start. I played this on my PC and I had to stop.
  • Devil May Cry 5 (PS4) - Dante has come a long way in his time in the gaming universe but they really really need to do something fresh like Santa Monica studios did with God of War and switch it up a bit more. Then again this game is known for being THE hack-and-slash game so I suppose they stuck true to their roots.
  • Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PS4) - Find a winning formula and repeat? Bungie need to explore a new arena at some point and leave this HALO style universe. It's not like this is bad but it gets tiring after a while.

Didn't know where to put This

• Contra 50th Anniversary (All Consoles) - Good selection of Contra games and if you feel like you want to amp the difficulty up you can try the Hard Corps in the collection. It even has the original Gameboy Contra C edition which took me back a few years.

Yet to Play

• The Outer Worlds (PC)
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood (PC)
  • Days Gone (PS4)
  • Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
  • FF XIV: Shadowbringers (PS4)
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - I have it on my device I just want to get my PC backlog out of the way first

What did you play this year that you thought was good and what did you play this year that you wish you hadn't bought?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic (PC) - a true city planner's and engineer's dream. A huge map, very complex infrastructure, industry and economy and a LOT of micromanagement (buying buses, building bus stops near areas that need workers and then assigning routes for each vehicle, managing work loads and setting shift pattern at the factories, relocating citizens, designing railroad systems complete with rail traffic signals and cargo management, optimising industry,  managing imports and exports in different currencies through customs offices at the border, terraforming, managing unemployment, researching chemistry and technical parts at universities, etc). Basically a city builder, logistics manager and economy tycoon in one, set in a fictional Soviet Republic from the 60s to the 80s. Very authentic not only in complexity but also in terms of using real-life objects (building styles, actual vehicle models) of the eastern-bloc at that time; different vehicles even become available only when you reach a certain year when they were actually built in the real world. Didn't expect it to be so complex and so complicated judging from the trailer, probably the most in-depth and detailed game I've ever seen in this genre. Still a bit unpolished as it's in development and even more new features are being added. Will not everyone's cup of tea but those who liked the original Tropico or transport tycoon style games will definitely enjoy it a lot. 

Dawn of Man (PC) - seemed pretty in-depth and complex at the start. Hunting, fishing, gathering, plant and animal domestication, knowledge gain, good and logical tech tree to research in order to advance further, a lot of things to keep in mind such as food source diversification, change of seasons, food processing, etc. Pretty challenging at times (especially on harsher maps) but it got old a bit too quick for my liking and I found it lacking after a while. Still a decent peaceful game of survival/resources management and evolution.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC) - still in progress. Started out a while ago but had to pause due to increased workload. Really like the story so far; the characters and the worlds are pretty cool as well. The game seems a bit linear though. Nevertheless I'm enjoying it very much. 

• 2 months later...

I think my game of the year (2019) would be Outer Wilds. What a cool little game, space exploration, puzzles, groundhog day... I had a lot of fun going into it pretty blind and trying to figure things out before the universe would end again.

I also think a similarly named... yet very different (still involves space though) game would be high up on my list in The Outer Worlds. That was a very fun (although short) game - I'll be doing another playthrough of it with a completely different playstyle soon. I'll probably make my character a complete idiot for the low intelligence dialog options - seems like that'd be a lot of fun.

Archived