talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Music Opinions

football forum

I looked for a thread like this but didn't find one, so here it is! I thought it'd be fun to share some of our more controversial music hot takes.

I'll start with a batch:

• Christmas music isn't that bad.
  • Kanye West is literally mentally challenged but music critics interpret his zaniness as brilliance because they don't want to appear racist.
  • The Sex Pistols were shit as a band and only got their reputation due to their aesthetics and controversies. The fact that Sid Vicious was probably their most famous member after Johnny Rotten yet did not even play on their one and only album says it all.
  • Metallica would've been a NWOBHM band (but American) if it weren't for Dave Mustaine joining, and thrash metal might've never been a thing without him.
  • When a band releases a self-titled album (that isn't their debut album), it is usually a sign of a midlife crisis and/or having run out of creativity.
  • Hiphop is better when it is about selling drugs and shooting people as opposed to political/societal insights.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

There's plenty of good modern music being made and it caters to many individual tastes. However, most of it will not stand the test of time and will be completely forgotten in just a decade or two. Not sure if that's an unpopular opinion though.

Complexity does not necessarily make music better.

Rock & roll will never die.

I think extensive screaming/growling and overly harsh vocals ruin metal.

15 hours ago, Panflute said:
  • When a band releases a self-titled album (that isn't their debut album), it is usually a sign of a midlife crisis and/or having run out of creativity

Black Sabbath:

dd0.png

Also totally agree re: the Sex Pistols. A band assembled by a fashion designer... they’re basically the same as any other boy band but they did heroin. Same with the Velvet Underground tbh, except Andy Warhol pushed them to writing better songs.

15 hours ago, Stan said:

Artists like Ed Sheeran & Coldplay aren't actually that bad but get a lot of unwarranted stick.

Coldplay a long time ago were an entirely respectable inoffensively mild brit pop rock band. Then they became a literal piece of shit around Mylo Xylophone microphone and never looked back. They deserve all the stick they get. Ed Queeren is a mildly above average pub acoustic twat who looks like Chuckie from rug rats. 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Coldplay a long time ago were an entirely respectable inoffensively mild brit pop rock band. Then they became a literal piece of shit around Mylo Xylophone microphone and never looked back. They deserve all the stick they get. Ed Queeren is a mildly above average pub acoustic twat who looks like Chuckie from rug rats. 

Looks like I posted in the right thread then :D

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I respect most opinions. But not this one.

I guess I'm doing this thread justice then :P 

Anyway it's a matter of (acquired) taste. I understand how harsh vocals can be used to capture and convey extreme emotions and create an atmosphere blah blah blah but I honestly prefer being able to at least partially understand the lyrics instead of listening to intense prolonged unintelligible screaming, squealing, gurgles and guttural diarrhea. It is a pity as while I enjoy the music a lot, too harsh vocals completely ruin it for me.

31 minutes ago, nudge said:

I guess I'm doing this thread justice then :P 

Anyway it's a matter of (acquired) taste. I understand how harsh vocals can be used to capture and convey extreme emotions and create an atmosphere blah blah blah but I honestly prefer being able to at least partially understand the lyrics instead of listening to intense prolonged unintelligible screaming, squealing, gurgles and guttural diarrhea. It is a pity as while I enjoy the music a lot, too harsh vocals completely ruin it for me.

Tbh that’s probably more of a popular opinion, given the overall popularity of death and black metal.

It’s definitely an acquired taste, and I’ve come to see harsh vocals as another instrument in the heaviest shit I listen to. It actually serves an important purpose in super guitar centric metal - since normally lead guitar and vocals live in the same frequency range, harsh vocals serve the purpose of giving guitars more space in a mix.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate this new trend of pop-rnb with a down-tempo dreamy feel. It is like they all listened to one Coteau Twins song and though 'If I slow this down to 1/3 speed and remove half of the instrumentation, I can sell this'.

Drake sounds like he needs to blow his nose.

Most rappers that focus on violence and the superficial are rubbish. In fact rap is one of the most eclectic genres of music with very few able to claim that they've made something worth remembering or listening to. 

Is the Sex Pistols opinion unpopular, seems to be the general consensus on them? Very limited musically but can't help but love Rotten's energy and lyrics, would have been great to be young when they came out, after years of 'Glam rock' bollocks and bloated prog rock disappearing up its own arse, just pure youthful bounce music.

• The title was changed to Unpopular Music Opinions

Archived