• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Unpopular Music Opinions

Recommended Posts

On 15/12/2019 at 13:40, Panflute said:

Kanye West is literally mentally challenged but music critics interpret his zaniness as brilliance because they don't want to appear racist.

Kayne brought new elements to a creatively burned out era of hip hop, pretty much keeping the genre interesting and letting it evolve from the trite gangster posturing. I find that contempt for his contributions is colored by people's opinions about him as person.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2020 at 10:47, Tommy said:

The Kinks were better than the Beatles, and their lyrics are way more profound and overall better. 

I've explored the Kinks quite a bit and I'll give you one thing - they never seemed to revert to nonsense lyrics. Ray Davies is as good of a songwriter as any. At the onset The Beatles were highly motivated to be commercial and to make as much money as possible. Songs about girls in love were plentiful as they knew the young teen girls loved them.

Once they got over that phase they had much better lyrics, diversity and they left bands like The Kinks and The Beach Boys behind. When it comes to versatility it's hard to argue against the Beatles. Also, The Kinks had no good singers (might be unpopular).

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oasis’s popularity makes sense only when put in the background of the mediocrity that was mid 90's British music. Britpop as a cultural movement sucked for various reasons but mostly because the music was bad.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Britpop isn't a genre, but rather a cultural phenomenon akin to American alternative-rock. For instance Blur's early work compared to their later material are different, moving from 'Kinks-esque' guitar-pop to lo-fi alternative-rock. I don't think the music sucked at all, Oasis, Blur, Suede, The Verve, James, and Pulp were fanastic bands. Pulp, I feel as times has passed have stood out to have created the most interesting music of the bands, followed by Blur and James. 

Sex Pistols weren't a boy-band at all and that opinion is popular; I hear it all the time these days. It was a Malcolm McLaren project, with Lydon and Matlock being the driving creative force. If they were a boy-band there would be dancing, a baker's dozen producers, and they wouldn't have written their own music.  'Nevermind the Bollocks' is a fine album and a landmark statement in music. Lydon's 'Public Image Ltd.' is a testement to his creative ability.

The Clash while far more talented became far more a 'pop' band than the Sex Pistols ever were. 'London Calling' is a perfect album but I struggle to be interested in the rest of their catalogue which just sounds like to me like milquetoast 'punk' and 'two-tone'.

The Ramones are very mediocre band. They've a few iconic song but have largely been an image over substance band.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are held back by Kiedis' poor vocals and they were never the same after achieving a crossover hit with 'Under The Bridge' and largely abandoning their metal-cum-funk style. Compare 'Higher Ground' and 'Snow (hey oh)'. Faith No More were always better anyway.

 

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian, English and Canadian artists are way better than American.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachata is better than Reggaeton.

Peruvian music (yes, even the panflutes) is not bad at all even if you don't look at it from a cultural standpoint.

Blur's best song is Coffee and TV.

No Te Va Gustar is better than Soda Stereo @Berserker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vader said:

Bachata is better than Reggaeton.

Peruvian music (yes, even the panflutes) is not bad at all even if you don't look at it from a cultural standpoint.

Blur's best song is Coffee and TV.

No Te Va Gustar is better than Soda Stereo @Berserker

Crazy, ban him!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized I could do an entire long-read of opinions on Metallica. Such a lovely band to feel conflicted about. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panflute said:

I realized I could do an entire long-read of opinions on Metallica. Such a lovely band to feel conflicted about. :ph34r:

They were great. Then their driving force died. Then they were still pretty good for an album. Then they released one final great album but at the cost of their creative souls. Then they were one shade or another of shit after the black album.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They were great. Then their driving force died. Then they were still pretty good for an album. Then they released one final great album but at the cost of their creative souls. Then they were one shade or another of shit after the black album.

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. I think this is pretty fucking spot on.

Although that "final great album" is probably my least favourite of their great albums. Seems like they traded in a lot for what a lot of people think is their best produced album.

But imo the best production sound to me of that era of Metallica is Master of Puppets - I disagree with a lot of people that think it's their magnum opus. But I think it's produced really really well. And the songs are still very very thrashy and I love how the songs have lots of transitions to different sounding sections yet they're so seemless sounding in the transitions - but that's more about song composition than production tbh. And maybe that's clouding my vision there.

Either way... Kill 'em All & Ride the Lightning FTW.

Although I think my overall favourite debut album for thrash would have to be either Bonded by Blood by Exodus or Show No Mercy by Slayer (although that's arguably not thrash, but Slayer's in the big 4 so fuck it I'm throwing it in with thrash).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Metallica album ranking looks like

Ride the lightning
The Black album (though I can't stand enter sandman and I've heard the unforgiven too many times)
And Justice for all
Kill em all
Master of puppets 
Shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They were great. Then their driving force died. Then they were still pretty good for an album. Then they released one final great album but at the cost of their creative souls. Then they were one shade or another of shit after the black album.

I do think Metallica's progress as musicians is more logical and gradual than "they made metal and then sold out."

I'm totally derailing the topic, but the way I see it is this:

A lot of their style changes can be pinned on both line-up changes and the way rock/metal evolved at the time. The first two albums relied heavily on Dave Mustaine's stylistic influence, and when that started to wane, Cliff Burton had a huge impact artistically. Even if his songwriting contribution on Master of Puppets wasn't as big as on Ride the Lightning, there was still this sense of 'if Cliff doesn't like it, it ain't happening'; at least that is what Kirk Hammett later said. After Burton's death, Metallica ceased to be a full band and it was largely Hetfield and Ulrich (mainly the latter) just telling the others what to do.

Hence why And Justice For All sounds like ass production-wise; they had no one left who could step in and just say 'no, that idea sucks', which is why Metallica albums also became longer and longer with seemingly no one there to direct/edit things into a coherent, strong unit. Fortunately, AFJA is also an album where Metallica really challenge themselves in terms of composition and playing, so it's still a very creative album. They're really trying to prove themselves as musicians, and you get the idea they're punching a little over their weight, which I find very exciting.

With the Black Album, they had little left to prove as musicians and dumbed everything down to a large degree, which I still find a very logical thing to do for an artist; do the opposite of what you did on your previous album, lest you become a one-trick pony. As an added bonus, Bob Rock proved to be the guy who not only delivered what I consider to be the best production in pretty much any album, but also wasn't afraid to confront Hetfield and Ulrich creatively. There is a scene in that documentary they made of the recording process where Ulrich tries to pull the same trick as on AFJA and tells the producer (Bob Rock in this case) to turn the other instruments down, and Bob Rock's just like "we tried that and it sounded like shit, so no."

After that album, Rock seemingly got too close to the band, and Metallica entered the pretty much inevitable midlife crisis phase of their careers, so nothing they put out since then held anywhere near the weight of their first 5 albums.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. I think this is pretty fucking spot on.

Although that "final great album" is probably my least favourite of their great albums. Seems like they traded in a lot for what a lot of people think is their best produced album.

But imo the best production sound to me of that era of Metallica is Master of Puppets - I disagree with a lot of people that think it's their magnum opus. But I think it's produced really really well. And the songs are still very very thrashy and I love how the songs have lots of transitions to different sounding sections yet they're so seemless sounding in the transitions - but that's more about song composition than production tbh. And maybe that's clouding my vision there.

Either way... Kill 'em All & Ride the Lightning FTW.

Although I think my overall favourite debut album for thrash would have to be either Bonded by Blood by Exodus or Show No Mercy by Slayer (although that's arguably not thrash, but Slayer's in the big 4 so fuck it I'm throwing it in with thrash).

Master of Puppets is imo the first Metallica album that contains filler, or at least contains clear stand-out tracks that carry the entire album.

If I had to make a top 5 it'd look like...

1. Ride the Lightning
2. Kill 'Em All
3. Master of Puppets
4/5. And Justice For All/Black Album

AFJA and Black Album just really depend on my mood and if I'm more able to tune out the bad production/mixing of the former or the simplistic songwriting of the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Panflute said:

I do think Metallica's progress as musicians is more logical and gradual than "they made metal and then sold out."

I'm totally derailing the topic, but the way I see it is this:

A lot of their style changes can be pinned on both line-up changes and the way rock/metal evolved at the time. The first two albums relied heavily on Dave Mustaine's stylistic influence, and when that started to wane, Cliff Burton had a huge impact artistically. Even if his songwriting contribution on Master of Puppets wasn't as big as on Ride the Lightning, there was still this sense of 'if Cliff doesn't like it, it ain't happening'; at least that is what Kirk Hammett later said. After Burton's death, Metallica ceased to be a full band and it was largely Hetfield and Ulrich (mainly the latter) just telling the others what to do.

Hence why And Justice For All sounds like ass production-wise; they had no one left who could step in and just say 'no, that idea sucks', which is why Metallica albums also became longer and longer with seemingly no one there to direct/edit things into a coherent, strong unit. Fortunately, AFJA is also an album where Metallica really challenge themselves in terms of composition and playing, so it's still a very creative album. They're really trying to prove themselves as musicians, and you get the idea they're punching a little over their weight, which I find very exciting.

With the Black Album, they had little left to prove as musicians and dumbed everything down to a large degree, which I still find a very logical thing to do for an artist; do the opposite of what you did on your previous album, lest you become a one-trick pony. As an added bonus, Bob Rock proved to be the guy who not only delivered what I consider to be the best production in pretty much any album, but also wasn't afraid to confront Hetfield and Ulrich creatively. There is a scene in that documentary they made of the recording process where Ulrich tries to pull the same trick as on AFJA and tells the producer (Bob Rock in this case) to turn the other instruments down, and Bob Rock's just like "we tried that and it sounded like shit, so no."

After that album, Rock seemingly got too close to the band, and Metallica entered the pretty much inevitable midlife crisis phase of their careers, so nothing they put out since then held anywhere near the weight of their first 5 albums.

Master of Puppets is imo the first Metallica album that contains filler, or at least contains clear stand-out tracks that carry the entire album.

If I had to make a top 5 it'd look like...

1. Ride the Lightning
2. Kill 'Em All
3. Master of Puppets
4/5. And Justice For All/Black Album

AFJA and Black Album just really depend on my mood and if I'm more able to tune out the bad production/mixing of the former or the simplistic songwriting of the latter.

If AJFA didn’t have totally dogshit production it’d be right up there with Rust in Peace imo. I actually only don’t like one song of Master of Puppets, Leper Messiah - I just don’t like the album as much as Kill ‘em All (which tbh is probably my favourite Metallica album) or RTL (which on some days is probably my favourite).

I think of Master of Puppets as sort of like their Sgt. Pepper’s - which isn’t the Beatles best imo, but it’s probably their most influential album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement