talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Unpopular Music Opinions

football forum

On 05/02/2022 at 14:34, Devil-Dick Willie said:

RHCP have 3 songs.

The slow one (Snow, Dosed, Scar tissue, Soul to squeeze, My friends, Zephyr song, Under the bridge, Road trippin)
The funky one (Suck my kiss, Give it away, Can't stop, I like dirt, Go robot) 
The radio friendly one (Danni California, By the way, Californication, Dark necessities, Otherside) 

Rick Rubins production elevates the band from time to time, and his 2 most focused efforts resulted in their 2 best albums. But the band has been devoid of any real creativity for 20 years, just writing 'vibe' songs. They're like the hippy funk version of post Bon ACDC. Writing versions of the same song over and over and getting a hit with the crowd every so often. 

I like the RHCP... but only 3 albums: Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magick, & Californication.

And some people think I'm mental for just liking those 3. Dunno why.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/02/2022 at 16:34, Devil-Dick Willie said:

RHCP have 3 songs.

The slow one (Snow, Dosed, Scar tissue, Soul to squeeze, My friends, Zephyr song, Under the bridge, Road trippin)
The funky one (Suck my kiss, Give it away, Can't stop, I like dirt, Go robot) 
The radio friendly one (Danni California, By the way, Californication, Dark necessities, Otherside) 

Rick Rubins production elevates the band from time to time, and his 2 most focused efforts resulted in their 2 best albums. But the band has been devoid of any real creativity for 20 years, just writing 'vibe' songs. They're like the hippy funk version of post Bon ACDC. Writing versions of the same song over and over and getting a hit with the crowd every so often. 

That's hardly unpopular. The band has been devoid of creativity since 1992, and Rick Rubin fucking blows ass as a produced. Listen to the album Californication, he amps up the 'loudness' to create a fuller record you can actually hear the noise compression as static. There is nothing focused about the band including and after Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik, you could cut ten songs from that album without missing them. One of their best songs isn't even acknowledged and is relegated to being on the Pretty Woman soundtrack.

They take themselves too seriously for a band that dresses like sex offenders at Burning Man and have serious talent outside of Kiedis' shit lyrics, weird Kermit the Frog vocals and overall cuntery. Kiedis spent the first half of the 90s being angry about Faith No More and Mike Patton/Mr Bungle, a band 1/10th as popular as them but 10times more talented and it's pathetic.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I like the RHCP... but only 3 albums: Mother's Milk, Blood Sugar Sex Magick, & Californication.

And some people think I'm mental for just liking those 3. Dunno why.

Im a huge RHCP fan and ill have to disagree with pretty much all of what the dickdiggler said but also not a big fan of Mothers Milk. I think Stadium Arcadium was one of their top few albums... im with you was hot garbage but The Getaway was fanfuckingtastic. I love the new single so far but ill reserve judgement till I hear the whole album. 

I also will say even some of the lesser songs that I never really cared for like Throw Away your Television was really, really good live. Their still one of my favourite live bands period as well. 

2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Im a huge RHCP fan and ill have to disagree with pretty much all of what the dickdiggler said but also not a big fan of Mothers Milk. I think Stadium Arcadium was one of their top few albums... im with you was hot garbage but The Getaway was fanfuckingtastic. I love the new single so far but ill reserve judgement till I hear the whole album. 

I also will say even some of the lesser songs that I never really cared for like Throw Away your Television was really, really good live. Their still one of my favourite live bands period as well. 

They're really good live, I agree with that. The tickets for their upcoming tour made me think "hahahahahhahahaha I'm not paying that you silly twats" though.

Bom diggy listening ol hippy
in californy waiting for the horny
hey sun rise on another caly day
souls and holes are fun to play
kissing n sucking is the california way
show me a girl I'll make her twirl in california today

There you go, put that to any melody of their songs and you wouldn't tell the difference.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They're really good live, I agree with that. The tickets for their upcoming tour made me think "hahahahahhahahaha I'm not paying that you silly twats" though.

How much was it out of curiosity? for like pretty mediocre seats I think I paid about 150ish and that was at least 3 or 4 years ago. 

10 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

How much was it out of curiosity? for like pretty mediocre seats I think I paid about 150ish and that was at least 3 or 4 years ago. 

About $150 USD for the shittiest seats possible, upwards of $400 anywhere decent, anywhere in between $150-400 for seats in between.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

That's hardly unpopular. The band has been devoid of creativity since 1992, and Rick Rubin fucking blows ass as a produced. Listen to the album Californication, he amps up the 'loudness' to create a fuller record you can actually hear the noise compression as static. There is nothing focused about the band including and after Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik, you could cut ten songs from that album without missing them. One of their best songs isn't even acknowledged and is relegated to being on the Pretty Woman soundtrack.

They take themselves too seriously for a band that dresses like sex offenders at Burning Man and have serious talent outside of Kiedis' shit lyrics, weird Kermit the Frog vocals and overall cuntery. Kiedis spent the first half of the 90s being angry about Faith No More and Mike Patton/Mr Bungle, a band 1/10th as popular as them but 10times more talented and it's pathetic.

I rate rubin, but can't argue about the loudness factor. I also am a bigger fan of faith no more. I like BSSM, I think well over half the songs are good, and Californication is the sweet spot of raido friendly/ interesting. 
Breaking the girl is personally my favorite RHCP song, but yeah, beyond that, it's literally just rehashed sounds and themes again and again and again. I don't begrudge anyone for liking them. They're vibey, safe and familiar. But creative or interesting? Not for decades. 

19 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I rate rubin, but can't argue about the loudness factor.

I think he's such a seriously overrated producer, and I say that as someone who's a big fan of a lot of albums he's produced (after all... he produced a lot of Slayer's top albums). I think there was a time where he was one of the best in the business, but that time was a while ago.

And his part in the "loudness war" led to an era of really poorly produced music - and two albums that come to mind are Rubin albums, Californication & Death Magnetic (two albums I think are good, but could be so much better if you could hear the full dynamic range) - Death Magnetic in particular really stood out to me as an album where the clipping was truly irritating.

Then on the otherhand, there's Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, and Blood Sugar Sex Magick, which I think were produced pretty fucking spectacularly...

I think Faith No More are shiiiiite though

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he's such a seriously overrated producer, and I say that as someone who's a big fan of a lot of albums he's produced (after all... he produced a lot of Slayer's top albums). I think there was a time where he was one of the best in the business, but that time was a while ago.

And his part in the "loudness war" led to an era of really poorly produced music - and two albums that come to mind are Rubin albums, Californication & Death Magnetic (two albums I think are good, but could be so much better if you could hear the full dynamic range) - Death Magnetic in particular really stood out to me as an album where the clipping was truly irritating.

Then on the otherhand, there's Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, and Blood Sugar Sex Magick, which I think were produced pretty fucking spectacularly...

I think Faith No More are shiiiiite though

He produced The SOAD albums. Metallica have had shit mixing in every album from AJFA, bar MAYBE parts of the black album. It's mostly because James and Lars are the greatest cunts put on gods earth. 

Go listen to the gentle art of making enemies, Ashes to Ashes and midlife crisis. if you still hate faith no more then I have no more faith in you you fucker. 

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

He produced The SOAD albums. Metallica have had shit mixing in every album from AJFA, bar MAYBE parts of the black album. It's mostly because James and Lars are the greatest cunts put on gods earth. 

Go listen to the gentle art of making enemies, Ashes to Ashes and midlife crisis. if you still hate faith no more then I have no more faith in you you fucker. 

So you would say you have… faith… no more… xD

I’ll give them another listen with my adult ears. I might just not like them because they were my cousins favourite band and my cousin is a gobshite.

Are the order of albums you listed the order of your preference or should I go through them in chronological order? Or does it not matter xD

I think Master of Puppets is pretty well produced & the Black album as well but the rest aren’t. But tbh I don’t mind the totally shite production of early thrash albums for some reason - some of those bands best albums releases great debut albums that have terrible production (Kill Em All, Killing is my Business, Bonded by Blood, Show No Mercy, The Legacy)

• Subscriber
On 11/02/2022 at 13:25, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I rate rubin, but can't argue about the loudness factor. I also am a bigger fan of faith no more. I like BSSM, I think well over half the songs are good, and Californication is the sweet spot of raido friendly/ interesting. 
Breaking the girl is personally my favorite RHCP song, but yeah, beyond that, it's literally just rehashed sounds and themes again and again and again. I don't begrudge anyone for liking them. They're vibey, safe and familiar. But creative or interesting? Not for decades. 

Breaking the Girl is a great song, good shout. If I had to choose one for me its probably still Dont Forget Me. I thought the The Getaway was really where they hit their stride again though, Its got some bangers. Goodbye Angels fucks big time.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Claret and Blue said:

That's it with music though what 1 person loves. Another can't stand 

Yeah it's all art, just with sound instead of paint, drawing, sculpting, other art shite, etc... so how a listener perceives whether something is good or shit is gonna depend person to person.

11 hours ago, Claret and Blue said:

Never got the big fuss about the beatles. 

I think a lot of the fuss about The Beatles is they did a lot of shite that nobody else did at the time that ended up changing the music business forever. Also, imo, their songs are pretty great and they're a phenomenally talented band - but like we just said, it's all opinions - there's no right or wrong.

But The Beatles did a lot of studio techniques at the time that were totally new - and sort of set a new standard for album production for the rest of the industry.

They also changed live music forever, because their massive concerts required the first use of PA systems for the audience to hear them (instead of just relying on amps and drums having the right amount of power) - that's basically how 97% (random percentage, because I felt 99% was too high xD) of live shows now have their sound get through to crowds, in big or small venues.

And they came up with music videos (because they wanted to stop touring).

So they weren't just influential as musicians, but also just very influential on how the music industry operated - so I think the big fuss makes a lot of sense. I'm sure the same is probably true of Elvis, but I never really saw the appeal in his music either.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it's all art, just with sound instead of paint, drawing, sculpting, other art shite, etc... so how a listener perceives whether something is good or shit is gonna depend person to person.

I think a lot of the fuss about The Beatles is they did a lot of shite that nobody else did at the time that ended up changing the music business forever. Also, imo, their songs are pretty great and they're a phenomenally talented band - but like we just said, it's all opinions - there's no right or wrong.

But The Beatles did a lot of studio techniques at the time that were totally new - and sort of set a new standard for album production for the rest of the industry.

They also changed live music forever, because their massive concerts required the first use of PA systems for the audience to hear them (instead of just relying on amps and drums having the right amount of power) - that's basically how 97% (random percentage, because I felt 99% was too high xD) of live shows now have their sound get through to crowds, in big or small venues.

And they came up with music videos (because they wanted to stop touring).

So they weren't just influential as musicians, but also just very influential on how the music industry operated - so I think the big fuss makes a lot of sense. I'm sure the same is probably true of Elvis, but I never really saw the appeal in his music either.

People can waffle on all night for me about them but end of the day to my ears they are another bunch of pointless scouse bastards like Everton who get switched off anytime its on my TV or radio. 

Couldn't give 2 💩 if they've sold 100m albums or 100000m. 

It means jack to me. 

Another one that's a pile of shit that people toss off to the beach boys 👇 🤮 

Pet Sounds is one of the best pop albums of all time. Listen to that and say they are shite, I’d say know you know fuck all about music. Even if you don’t like it, the album has obvious artistic merits.

In fact fuck you guys, I will listen to it right now

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I think The Beach Boys are shite too

I got another one Adele makes millions sells millions. I'd rather listen to a strangled cat than her. I mainly like reggae music. Most people I know can't stand that or ska music. 

😂 I'll listen to most things though but that would be my choice if I had to pick.. 

I remember my mate buying me a ticket to go and watch Keane.. Not Roy Keane the band Keane and thought wtf is he buying me a ticket 🎫 to watch these.. Turned out they was actually decent live 

16 hours ago, Spike said:

Pet Sounds is one of the best pop albums of all time. Listen to that and say they are shite, I’d say know you know fuck all about music. Even if you don’t like it, the album has obvious artistic merits.

In fact fuck you guys, I will listen to it right now

Yes. I'm pretty much a Beatles fan boy but I'm not sure they have an album as good as Pet Sounds.

• Subscriber

Don't think you can compare the two bands against each other really. One is sonic-gold in the vocal range and the other is lyric-gold. Having said that I would prefer a run of California Girls over most things that the Beatles churned out in the same peppy kind of tone but that's more because I have high regard for Carol Kaye's bass work on that song.

On 25/04/2022 at 19:07, Spike said:

Even if you don’t like it, the album has obvious artistic merits.

You can say that about lots of albums and artists, tbh. There's no real right or wrong answers as to what makes someone think a band/album is good.

I don't really like that album, or most Beach Boys songs I've ever heard... and that's alright. I know they're one of the most influential bands ever and aren't actually shite, but are in fact a world class band and absolutely iconic. But to me they are shite. And that's okay.

Don't you think Dark Side of the Moon is shite? I think it's brilliant but it's totally valid to also think it's a terrible album. Probably the best thing about music is there's no right or wrong, you just can like what you like and don't have to listen to the shite that you think is crap.

Archived