• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Quarter-Final Matches - 17-18th December, 2019

football forum

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Actually really proud of the lads tonight. Think they did themselves proud, despite the score.

Only difference between the two sides.... strikers. 

Keepers as well. Nyland made some really good saves. Kelleher... not so much

I'm impressed with the overall performance though, and really excited about Harvey Elliott. He looks a serious talent

• Administrator

Nyland did the best for Villa, I think. Liverpool had some decent chances and actually threatened to score on more than one occasion. Some great reflexes from Nyland to keep them out.

5-0 flatters Villa I'd say!

In fairness we were playing in a low gear all second half. Anyway not to detract as I thought Liverpool’s kids did well and showed heart. 

Would like to point out though that both Dean Smith and John Terry went into the Liverpool dressing room after the game to praise the kids and offer some encouragement and advice for their careers. Smith does this on the reg, but JT takes pelters in the media but is a really nice bloke in reality. 

Actually surprised John Terry has done something nice and gone and praised the kids after the match. Seems well out of character.

Congrats to Villa on the win, and well done to the kids for trying to give it a go against people who've gone on and made first team careers in football.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Actually surprised John Terry has done something nice and gone and praised the kids after the match. Seems well out of character.

Congrats to Villa on the win, and well done to the kids for trying to give it a go against people who've gone on and made first team careers in football.

Terry paid for all academy players driving lessons at Chelsea and their haircuts. 

After we lost the playoff final and Terry left us I saw his message to Grealish it was encouraging and full of fatherly advice to a young pro. It’s partly why we wanted him on the coaching staff he was/is a top bloke to have at your club

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In fairness we were playing in a low gear all second half. Anyway not to detract as I thought Liverpool’s kids did well and showed heart. 

Would like to point out though that both Dean Smith and John Terry went into the Liverpool dressing room after the game to praise the kids and offer some encouragement and advice for their careers. Smith does this on the reg, but JT takes pelters in the media but is a really nice bloke in reality. 

That's pretty cool tbf. I like that. 

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Terry paid for all academy players driving lessons at Chelsea and their haircuts. 

After we lost the playoff final and Terry left us I saw his message to Grealish it was encouraging and full of fatherly advice to a young pro. It’s partly why we wanted him on the coaching staff he was/is a top bloke to have at your club

It's about time he did something nice as opposed to banging his team mate's missus.

• Administrator

Reckon we go out tonight. Everton seem to have galvanised somewhat under Ferguson and I think that's enough to see them through. It's frustrating as well because this is a great chance to go on and win it if we win tonight. 

Also our record when reaching quarter finals in Cup competitions is disgustingly bad. Whenever we've reached a QF since winning the League Cup in 2000, we've lost them all (9 times). Most in the last few years to Man City or Chelsea xD

Think players like Justin, Choudhury, Ward, Iheanacho, Albrighton, Perez, Praet, Fuchs all play today. Especially given we have Man City at the weekend. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Reckon we go out tonight. Everton seem to have galvanised somewhat under Ferguson and I think that's enough to see them through. It's frustrating as well because this is a great chance to go on and win it if we win tonight. 

Also our record when reaching quarter finals in Cup competitions is disgustingly bad. Whenever we've reached a QF since winning the League Cup in 2000, we've lost them all (9 times). Most in the last few years to Man City or Chelsea xD

Think players like Justin, Choudhury, Ward, Iheanacho, Albrighton, Perez, Praet, Fuchs all play today. Especially given we have Man City at the weekend. 

I was going to ask what sort of team Leicester will field tonight. I'd definitely be worried if it was set to be a full strength Leicester side. We'll be fielding a weakened side through injuries rather than choice by the sounds of things.

It's a huge opportunity so really I think you should be going all out as well. I'd fancy either of our sides to have a strong chance against either Villa or Man Utd over two legs in the semi finals. You obviously want to avoid Man City.

If you do rotate the squad and we get a couple of key players back from illness/injury then I do fancy our chances at home, as much as it's possible to as an Everton fan.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I was going to ask what sort of team Leicester will field tonight. I'd definitely be worried if it was set to be a full strength Leicester side. We'll be fielding a weakened side through injuries rather than choice by the sounds of things.

It's a huge opportunity so really I think you should be going all out as well. I'd fancy either of our sides to have a strong chance against either Villa or Man Utd over two legs in the semi finals. You obviously want to avoid Man City.

If you do rotate the squad and we get a couple of key players back from illness/injury then I do fancy our chances at home, as much as it's possible to as an Everton fan.

Nice try. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It'll definitely be changed. Can't see our regular starting XI playing again. We've looked a bit leggy in the last few home games so change is pretty much a necessity. Plus we've got Man City away at the weekend on Saturday - just makes logical sense to switch it up a bit. It's definitely a huge opportunity for both clubs. 

28 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Nice try. 

He's right though? You, with a full-strength side, struggled literally this weekend just gone against a an Everton side which had 1 fully fit central midfielder and other key players out. 

As for us, you only have to look at the league table and general performances to say we'd have a good chance of beating you (or Villa) over 2 legs. Not to mention we just smashed Villa 4-1 earlier this month. What's your logic? Something that happened a few years ago? A 1-0 win all the way back in September which even the most ardent (and proper Man Utd fan) would say they were lucky to get away with?

Nice try.

• Subscriber

Big atmosphere tonight. All set up for a Moise Kean winner in the 93rd minute while Ancelotti and Zlatan watch from the stands and Big Dunc runs onto the pitch, throttles Vardy and then headbutts Brendan clean over the roof of the Park End in celebration. Up the Toffees. B|

• Subscriber

Painful lack of pace on show between this lot. Our only two legitimately speedy players are both up front. Killing us against a team of sharp and quick players.

Iwobi has been particularly poor. No cohesion of any type to our attack in general. Massive uphill task in this second half.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived