talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Cup - Quarter-Final Matches - 17-18th December, 2019

football forum

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Painful lack of pace on show between this lot. Our only two legitimately speedy players are both up front. Killing us against a team of sharp and quick players.

Iwobi has been particularly poor. No cohesion of any type to our attack in general. Massive uphill task in this second half.

If you get the next goal (and early at that), we'll get nervous and you'll have the crowd proper up for it.

Could hear some restlessness in the crowd as the half ended though. Next goal is key.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Bloody hell that was a rollercoaster of a game. Almost always entertaining when we go to Goodison Park. 

Shouldn't have thrown away the 2-0 lead but came through it in the penalties. Kasper saving the first 2. Baines scored a worldie but Kasper saved the tame penalty.

We had so many chances to put the game away as well which was very frustrating. 

On to a semi-final for the first time since 2000!

• Subscriber

Hate to lose like that but can't be upset with that effort. 12 fit first team outfield players.

Leicester took the better penalties. Even the one they missed was a good save from Pickford. Two shite efforts from Tosun and Baines.

Still, at least it feels like Everton again (penalty shootout defeat included but one day maybe we'll iron that out).

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Think that's the hardest fixture City have been drawn in this competition in the last 3 years. Usually get a complete bye to the final. This is almost a bye like but still...

They've still drawn the easiest team left in it. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Absolutely delighted. Relieved as much as anything too. The first half was complete control and 0-2 probably a fair reflection. Absolutely piss poor game management in the second half, was absolutely gutted when we threw it away. Was also absolutely convinced we'd lose on penalties, and especially when Maddison missed his. Baines missing was the significant one to me, I thought he was a cert to score.

We absolutely have to make that final now. We've gotten a lovely draw here. We've just thumped these in the league and sit well ahead of them. We can absolutely take these over two legs.

Get me to Wembley. PLEASE.

• Subscriber

I do think we'll make the final. It won't be easy but I think we'll do it. Rodgers said when he came in he wants to win a trophy - well he's been here 9 months and in terms of cups it's the furthest we've gone in 20 years. He's also put out teams that back up what he said.

Don't really fancy us in a final though. Man City are obviously very hard and we never turn up against Man Utd.

Got to go out and get it though. We need silverware. It's the objective.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived