The better place to talk football.

Weird Things Football Fans Do

football forum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Blindly follow a football team across the country, perhaps the continent depending on who, year in, year out, largely for little “glory” of trophies, barring a handful of clubs.

Yeah, not sure why I do this, but Tranmere tonight, en route now, Up the Spurs xD

I think the worst thing is football fans licking eachother’s balloon knots on social media. 

It all starts by praising the club’s fans and saying that they are some of the most loyal around, before going on to slate their biggest rival by claiming that they have deluded fans and are a tiny club in comparison.

Makes me feel sick reading it.

7 hours ago, Rafa Beneathus said:

I think the worst thing is football fans licking eachother’s balloon knots on social media. 

It all starts by praising the club’s fans and saying that they are some of the most loyal around, before going on to slate their biggest rival by claiming that they have deluded fans and are a tiny club in comparison.

Hear that from a lot of Newcastle fans and completely agree, sound lot you Geordies. Top class every last one of you, unlike those Micky Mouse Mackem bastards.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 06/01/2019 at 00:30, Rafa Beneathus said:

Symptomatic of the points-scoring society we live in. Social media's highlighted a lot of this behaviour.

• Subscriber

Another social media related thing is this baffling phenomenon recently where you have to tiptoe around rivalry.

How many people do you know who are football fans but don't support a team? Probably less than 1% of football fans are actual neutrals? Why? Because the whole point of football is to have that allegiance to a team, because actually, watching football without fans would be really fucking boring. With very rare exceptions, the most exciting thing about watching a football match is seeing the fans react and celebrate, it's not mentioned much but it's true. 

Back to the rivalry thing then, a big part of supporting your team is not wanting your rivals to do well. This isn't even exclusive to football. In tennis, Federer fans laugh when Nadal loses and vice versa. However we've reached this odd place in football, mostly on social media, that the second you even express a negative opinion about your rivals you're obsessed/bitter/small time.

You're an Arsenal fan who reckons Lewandowski is better than Kane? Sounds like you're more OBSESSED with Spurs than interested in your own club.

You're an Everton fan who says out loud you hope Liverpool don't win the title? Sounds like you're BITTER about... I dont know, the weather.

You're a Manchester United fan who says "at least if we do lose to Chelsea, they might stop Man City winning the title again"? OH MY GOD, United are so SMALL TIME these days, ALL OF THEIR FANS are hoping that they lose just to stop their rivals from winning the title. LOOK HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN.

It's ridiculous and it brings us right back to the point scoring culture and this never-ending game of who can look the least arsed about their rivals. Not being arsed about your rivals isn't something to be proud of. One of the lads I watched the FA Cup final with was a Luton fan and he was absolutely shitting himself over the prospect of Watford winning the trophy because they're rivals. It's normal, football is about emotion, loyalty and fun, not about going out of your way to talk in a balanced manner about your rivals so that nobody can call you obsessed.

Rivalries are part of the fun of football and shouldn't be diluted.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived