• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 0-2 Chelsea - Sunday 22nd December, 2019

football forum

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Nothing against Dave Jones and I get he's probably been told to say that but this is pathetic from Sky Sports to give that instruction (if so). 

The same Sky Sports who ran stories and 'The Debate' for weeks condemning, and rightfully so, racist abuse by Bulgarian and Spanish fans. But are terrified of even a two minute monologue condemning their EPL overlords.

It's almost as if they are worried people might not want to tune in if these reoccurring incidents continue.

Same has been going on for years in Scotland, where they just turn the volume down and don't acknowledge it...

It's mad that people can argue Britain isn't horrifically racist, when our biggest broadcaster literally has to distance itself from the "opinion" of their pundit when he condemns racism, because it knows he's pissing off a massive chunk of their audience. 

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

It's mad that people can argue Britain isn't horrifically racist, when our biggest broadcaster literally has to distance itself from the "opinion" of their pundit when he condemns racism

Sounds very hypocritical when we keep pointing the finger at places like Bulgaria and Italy for their behaviour when it's still going on in our own back yard and even more so when a major media giant like Sky feel the need to verbally add the small print that does nothing to support the eradication of the problem.. Sadly it still will be a problem until more serious action is taken.

Although it overshadowed the game today I am still pleased it's getting hefty coverage and discussion because in the old days it all used to get swept under the carpet and ignored. At least the decent fans are now willing to start outing these fuckers as well and they are finding less and less places to hide....  

To be fair, I think the bit that's "Gary Neville's opinion" isn't that racism is bad and that something should be done, it's the bit where he's talking about "racism being acccepted in the highest office in the land". That's when the presenter first tries to cut him off and I can definitely see why a sports channel would want to distance themselves from something like that (correct as it may be, it's a very serious accusation). By the time he gets a word in, though, Neville's clearly moved on and it looks really bad for him to say that when he did. Big fan of Gary Neville having a little huff at that point. Good effort

As to what Neville's actually got to say, I don't understand the obsession with bringing players off. Certainly don't punish them if they choose to do that, but at that point in the game (Spurs down 2-0 and down to 10, about 15 minutes left) if the play was stopped because of racist abuse, I'm pretty sure the culprits would see it as a win as they "got in their heads".

I think the only answer is punishing the clubs with something substantive. Dock points, transfer bans. Something that goes beyond that game and encourages the crowd to police themselves and each other.

It's all very well saying "this problem goes beyond football", but there's a potential for football to act as a gateway to 'macho culture' here if we can make it clear that that's really not acceptable.

• Subscriber

The majority of the country get most of their news from two sources. Television (BBC or ITV or Sky News) or newspapers, not necessarily reading them but you will see all of the headlines whenever you walk into most shops which most people will do a few times a week. Given that the most, let's call them "eye catching" newspapers and headlines have been shamelessly peddling their line of anti-immigrant Britain First propaganda, it's no surprise that the proportion of Daily Mail-conditioned, Tommy Robinson-guzzling gammons across the country is reaching new levels, and while I'm so tired of trying to argue for truth, decency and impartial acknowledgement of indisputable facts regarding this subject, and while I'm loathe to bring up politics in this area of the forum when we've been over it at such length in the relevant threads, Gary Neville is spot on again about the impact of a British prime minister using disgusting language towards just about every minority you can think of being, for all intents and purposes, laughed off by the national media. Not just by the toilet paper brigades like The Sun and The Daily Mail, but even by the BBC.

It's not right that an employee of Sky Sports had to come out with that comment to avoid getting in potential trouble, but it doesn't scratch the surface compared to what's been a complete and utter failure from the media as much as the authorities to challenge this issue over a number of years because it basically isn't in their interests. The same newspapers whose back pages tomorrow will be condemning the behaviour of the fan/s in question at this football match today will be the same ones splashing "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, CLOSE THE BORDERS" all over their front pages the next time a single Muslim man is convicted of sexually assaulting a white British girl or whatever variation on this repetitive theme happens to crop up next.

The Sunday Supplement coverage is actually the worst. Every weekend, 4-5 middle-aged white men sat around a table muttering in agreement about how terrible it is that this keeps happening before returning to their day jobs working for the Murdochs of the world who drip feed this horrible divisive content to the masses because it lines their own pockets. If you're that arsed about racism in football and in this country at large then you wouldn't be working for The Sun or The Daily Mail.

When people say the match should be called off.. under what protocols?... because reading through twitter at the people supporting this idea, there is no mention what happens to Chelsea's deserved 2-0 lead. Would Ruddier himself really want to walk off, if it just meant punishment for Spurs and a re-match.

Excellent response to a poor form and it came in the best possible moment. We controlled the game created chances and looked by far the better team. One thing that did surprise me we looked in control even before the red, Spurs managed one shot on target which was blocked by Tomori in the 97th minute. Willian had one of those days where he was incredible, but credit where is due he is reborn under Lampard. Azpi and Alonso were very good on the flanks didn't get exposed but still helped the attack. The penalty was a strange one, Taylor gave Spurs the foul? :dam:, as soon as that went in just before half time i knew we would have a much easier job in the second. Son didn't help himself, and even tough he didn't kill Rudiger or broke his ribs as sad Jose stated that was a malicious move. Red card all day long he can pretend to be shocked no one cares. Team win everyone was top notch, we again created a little gap between us Spurs and United who lost as well. However Sheffield and Wolves only four and five points away. Still a lot of work to do shame about our terrible run we could have been well set for top four. The racism case shadowed our performance, but it will happen more and more. Abandon the game? No, ban the fans? Yes.

I can’t understand why Spurs have appealed that red card. It’s not like the Gomes injury where he went in hard but you could watch the replay and say “I don’t think he meant that.”

You watch the replay of the Rudiger kick out and it’s hard to say “he didn’t mean that” - because he very deliberately kicks out at Rudiger’s ribs.

And honestly, his reaction to getting sent off - grabbing his head and looking distraught like the ref’s told him his parents have just died in a car crash... to me seeing that after that pretty obvious red card incident made me think “oh that little shit definitely meant to hurt Gomes.” Because it looks like he can play the good guy and get sympathy like he’s already done before.

He’s a good player and most of the time I enjoy watching him play. But this seems to be a dark side to his game and it’s something I hope he stamps out. But if he keeps this up, he’s going to develop a reputation. And it’ll be deserved.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I can’t understand why Spurs have appealed that red card. It’s not like the Gomes injury where he went in hard but you could watch the replay and say “I don’t think he meant that.”

You watch the replay of the Rudiger kick out and it’s hard to say “he didn’t mean that” - because he very deliberately kicks out at Rudiger’s ribs.

And honestly, his reaction to getting sent off - grabbing his head and looking distraught like the ref’s told him his parents have just died in a car crash... to me seeing that after that pretty obvious red card incident made me think “oh that little shit definitely meant to hurt Gomes.” Because it looks like he can play the good guy and get sympathy like he’s already done before.

He’s a good player and most of the time I enjoy watching him play. But this seems to be a dark side to his game and it’s something I hope he stamps out. But if he keeps this up, he’s going to develop a reputation. And it’ll be deserved.

Yep well on to developing that reputation and it definitely does negate how good a player he is. You have the goal against Burnley which is quality then you have petulance of Sunday going against him.

I don't know on what grounds they're appealing it. It's not accidental or innocuous. Yes Rudiger over-reacts but it's not as if he hasn't kicked out at him. It's a clear movement of his foot towards Rudiger and the intent is 100% there.

• The topic was unpinned

What I found strange about the whole thing was the ref who was standing less than 4 feet away when it happened was going to take no action over it, the same way I found it just as silly a decision to award the Tottenham keeper a free kick for his lunging high kick... I mean in both those incidents VAR got it spot on thankfully, it's almost as though they don't want to be seen as the villians by ducking out of the hard decisions and then falling back on VAR as the ones making the call instead... 

On 22/12/2019 at 18:37, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well the thing is Chelsea do have a reputation, hence the be a racist & win a trip to Auschwitz program they had going

Chelsea fan arrested for racist allegations against Son.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11894387/chelsea-fan-arrested-for-alleged-racist-abuse-of-heung-min-son

Lesson of the day. Always follow your gut xD

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Son kicked out at Rudiger, the Spurs fans then threw stuff at Chelsea's goalkeeper, then the Spurs fans blatantly racially abused Rudiger. 

Blatant is such nonsense 

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2019/december/club-statement-1/

It may have happened - and it’s horrific if it did and that individuals/individuals should be punished to the harshest extent of the law and by the club, but people are such quick to jump to these conclusions before getting the evidence. 

Archived