talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Witcher

football forum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished it yesterday. I'm pretty disappointed by the show tbh. I don't know if it's the rubbish dialogue or that it's just been rushed, so it doesn't introduce anything at all properly (it's not explained the political landscape of The Continent well at all, they've done fuck all to establish motivations and threats of characters. The scenes with Yennefer at her schooling is decades before any of the stuff with Princess Ciri, but they don't make any of that really clear at all... which left my wife absolutely fucking confused with the timeline. And for me, someone with a bit of background on the stories from having played the games, I've got a vague idea of what's going on. But it's not too much from the show and more because I've known things about the world and story from playing the game.

Poorly written show tbh. A fantasy series on TV shouldn't be relying on fans of it in other media to just carry the show to getting good ratings - Game of Thrones, His Dark Materials, even the LOTR flicks were able to get massive public interest in these fantasy worlds without needing to be fans of the books.

The good things about the show: Geralt looks/acts like Geralt is supposed to, Yennifer is true to her character in game (i.e., a bit of a cunt), they show Yennifer's tits.

The bad things: pretty much everything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 20/12/2019 at 21:02, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Watched the first 2 episodes. The first is great, the second is poor. The show needs to focus on Geralt slaying monsters. Yennifer should be a side plot and Ciri needs to be a side plot til she gets to Geralt. 

Basically how I felt after watching the first three as well. I really liked the third episode with the Strix.

Anyways I finished the series last night overall I quite enjoyed it. The "side quest" episodes if you will where two of my favourites. Henry Cavill is the perfect Geralt. I enjoyed the multiple time lines kind of tieing everything together in the end. Worth a watch and ill eagerly await the next season.

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber
6 hours ago, Toinho said:

I thoroughly enjoyed season 2. Anyone else seen it? 

I did and thought it was really good too. While it maintained the complexity I like that it focused on just the three main protagonists this time and left us with a lot of unanswered questions (assuming you havent read the books) towards the end. Some of the supporting cast were very good this time too.

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2022 at 17:17, Toinho said:

I thoroughly enjoyed season 2. Anyone else seen it? 

Having read the books I feel like they did a great job with Season 1.  Several people complained about the chronology of it all but I think they played it well running with multiple timelines.

I plan on watching Season 1 over again before I start season 2 but I haven't finished up Cowboy Bebop yet.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Second season is significantly better than the first imo

Im actually in the process of rewatching it all again so Ill reserve some judgement until it all connects better in my foggy brain. That being said after watching the second season and even getting halfway through the first again so far I think season 1 is near perfect. Season 2 is good but left me wanting more, ill see if it still holds true after the rewatch of both but thats still my impression thus far. I think I just enjoyed the witcherverse more then the main storyline of season 2.. the side quests where some of the best episodes in season 1 and kept it so refreshingly great... goes to say my opinion is the first episode of season 2 was the best one :)

Anyways I just ordered the book series a month or so ago to dive in as I love the Witcher universe... cant get enough!

I think the best 2 episodes of the first season were better than the best 2 of the second. But both level out to be average as fuck. 

Some things that shit me. 

Triss is an ugly charisma devoid troglodyte.
Fringilla is a dumpy lady with a pig nose. "Oh you're a witch so you can look the same for the rest of your life!" "Yeah give me 35% body fat and a face like a pug thanks"
Yenefer is irredeemably horrid. If I were Geralt the only thing I'd smash her with is a brick. 
Dandelion is an annoying useless cunt. 
The series finale of S1 was dr who levels of budget. Fucking comical. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think the best 2 episodes of the first season were better than the best 2 of the second. But both level out to be average as fuck. 

Some things that shit me. 

Triss is an ugly charisma devoid troglodyte.
Fringilla is a dumpy lady with a pig nose. "Oh you're a witch so you can look the same for the rest of your life!" "Yeah give me 35% body fat and a face like a pug thanks"
Yenefer is irredeemably horrid. If I were Geralt the only thing I'd smash her with is a brick. 
Dandelion is an annoying useless cunt. 
The series finale of S1 was dr who levels of budget. Fucking comical. 

The final two episodes of season 2 were very good but outside of that it's probably an overhyped show.

• 8 months later...
  • Subscriber

So over the weekend big news dropped. Henry Cavill has officially dropped playing Geralt after season 3 and they've announced Liam Hemsworth will pick up the mantle going forward.

Nothing against Hemsworth but this really does smell doom and gloom for many reasons. Cavill was a massive, massive Witcher fan and I cant understate this. Cavill has read all the books, hes played Witcher 3 (the video game) through several times and he actively sought out this role and even auditioned for it. He has said on the record he had no problem playing Geralt all through the planned 7 season arc with one stipulation that they stay true to the source material. Season 2 was a bit of a mess in that regard and alot of book readers where very unhappy with it. Apparently Cavill's displeasure started back in season 2. ill add a link of timelines and quotes of what we know but it all doesnt sound good for the direction they wanted to take the series and very very likely is the reason for his premature departure.

I myself am only about 30% done the second book but I can already see why alot of people where upset with the second season. I still see it both ways, I dont mind the way they took the characters but again I didnt read the books first so I was going in blind. I definitely prefer Andrei Sopkowski's work already so far thought for what that's worth. Ill keep watching but im definitely not expecting a whole going forward with the show.

https://redanianintelligence.com/2022/11/01/henry-cavills-departure-from-witcher-originated-in-s2/

8 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

So over the weekend big news dropped. Henry Cavill has officially dropped playing Geralt after season 3 and they've announced Liam Hemsworth will pick up the mantle going forward.

Nothing against Hemsworth but this really does smell doom and gloom for many reasons. Cavill was a massive, massive Witcher fan and I cant understate this. Cavill has read all the books, hes played Witcher 3 (the video game) through several times and he actively sought out this role and even auditioned for it. He has said on the record he had no problem playing Geralt all through the planned 7 season arc with one stipulation that they stay true to the source material. Season 2 was a bit of a mess in that regard and alot of book readers where very unhappy with it. Apparently Cavill's displeasure started back in season 2. ill add a link of timelines and quotes of what we know but it all doesnt sound good for the direction they wanted to take the series and very very likely is the reason for his premature departure.

I myself am only about 30% done the second book but I can already see why alot of people where upset with the second season. I still see it both ways, I dont mind the way they took the characters but again I didnt read the books first so I was going in blind. I definitely prefer Andrei Sopkowski's work already so far thought for what that's worth. Ill keep watching but im definitely not expecting a whole going forward with the show.

https://redanianintelligence.com/2022/11/01/henry-cavills-departure-from-witcher-originated-in-s2/

I understand that the writers are not big fans of the books??? not sure if that's correct but if true why would you have writers that are going to stray from the source material?? I could understand a few tweaks here and there to try and capture a wider audience, but you have to stay true to the essence of the character and the stories.. I do hate when they switch the main character in a series.. 

Archived