• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alexander Nübel: Bayern sign Schalke keeper on a free transfer

football forum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Schalke's first choice keeper and captain, on a free transfer to Bayern. Sounds familiar. 

Yes, it seems like Schalke are the team that produce world class young goalkeepers for Bayern. The fact that Nubel will be arriving at Bayern on a free transfer is a real coup. Neuer's heir apparent is the ideal long term replacement for him.

I can remember Neuer's first few games for Schalke during the 2006/2007 season, when he got to play only because Frank Rost was injured. But it was apparent to me in those first few matches that he had for Schalke, that he was something really special. I knew that it would only be a matter of time before he would become Germany's first choice goalkeeper. In fact it was my opinion that he proved that he was Germany's best goalkeeper during the 2007/08 season. His top class performances in the Bundesliga that year and his heroics in helping Schalke reach the Quarter Finals of the Champions League that season (where they narrowly lost 2-0 on aggregate to the mighty Barcelona), was proof enough for me to regard him as Germany's best goalkeeper.

However Neuer was overlooked for the 2008 European Championships. With Jens Lehmann keeping his place as Germany's dirst choice keeper and Robert Enke as Germany's number two and a young Rene Adler as the 3rd choice goalkeeper. After the Euros, Lehmann retired from the national team and it was Adler who was then chosen as Germany's first choice goalkeeper, with Enke and Neuer as reserves. As the 2010 World Cup approached, it was only fate that would assist Neuer in becoming number 1 for Germany at the World Cup. First the sad suicide of Robert Enke in 2009 and then a last minute injury to Adler in May 2010, a month before the start of the World Cup, meant that Neuer had finally found himself as Germany's first choice goalie at the 2010 World Cup. His superb performances at that World Cup, cemented his place as Germany's undisputed best goalkeeper and to many, the best goalkeeper in the world.

If young Nubel can become as good as Neuer, then that would be a huge feat for both Bayern and Germany. From what I have seen of Nubel so far, I think that he too is the real deal. His reflexes are outstanding and he has a real presence. Enjoy the following video and witness the goalkeeping skills of both Neuer and Nubel:

There is one basic difference between Alex and Manuel which can never be ignored - Manuel's whole being up to leaving 04 was steeped in Gelsenkirchen, the town, school and club and the departure was almost heartbreaking - Alex is a Paderborn boy who finally arrived as a young man in the Veltins and has very little history to be sad about losing.  There are many similarities in their game - my belief is that Alex - like lots of other young hopefuls - spent hours watching Peter Manuel grow up with 04 and then Bayern and the National Team.  He has been honest and another good positive role model for young keepers and we all wish him well, but if - unlike Manuel - his heart is not in the Arena he must decide where his future lies himself!

Archived