talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Norwich 2-2 Tottenham - Saturday 28th December, 2019

football forum

34 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The question remains, would people prefer for them to change the offside rule? And to what? A player has to be more than 1cm offside for it to be offside? Then people will just cry when a player gets flagged for being 1.1cm off. Or should it be measured by feet only because it's football? Then people will cry if someone's head is offside and they score a header.

The offside rule is black and white. The current scenario with VAR and offsides is the best of a bad range of options.

I agree with you - offside is offside - but there is a margin of error that has to be acknowledged. It's not as big as people think, but the framerate on the camera isn't fast enough to pick up the exact moment the ball is kicked. That can make a difference when the decision is as tight as the Pukki one.

Whether that means writing some sort of "umpire's call" into the rule, or simply investing in high speed cameras, I don't know. I'd prefer the latter, but even that wouldn't be perfect.

What people don't realise about the umpire's call thing is that you'd still have to measure the offside to see if it's close enough to stay with the on-field decision. It would probably take even longer and you'd end up getting goals allowed/disallowed because they weren't offside/onside enough, which is obviously silly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Pukki goal had to stand, Spurs would be dead and buried. It revived them and two points lost for Norwich in the end. Var is okay for some situation but the 00.1 margins are toxic. Especially when they don't look at players feet position rather than their arms or armpits. Best league in the world but the ref's are clueless. VAR got 5 decisions wrong just this week.

Archived