talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 1-0 Wolves - Sunday 29th December, 2019

football forum

• Subscriber

Wolves have a style of play that works well against top sides. They do well because they don't have to change it. Leicester have a style of play that works really well against teams who are worse than them but not against better teams. Even if they played like Wolves in those games it would have to be a change in style which would mean it's harder for them to be equally effective.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Wolves have a style of play that works well against top sides. They do well because they don't have to change it. Leicester have a style of play that works really well against teams who are worse than them but not against better teams. Even if they played like Wolves in those games it would have to be a change in style which would mean it's harder for them to be equally effective.

Wolves simply have more than us on the break I think. If we had Adama we would be an unreal side.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

Wolves simply have more than us on the break I think. If we had Adama we would be an unreal side.

You have Vardy though. I think you score a lot more goals breaking forward than Wolves to be honest.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think it helps they’ve got people like Moutinho and Ricardo, who’ve played in loads of big and high pressure matches. And people like Coady and Neves that had the pressure of needing to consistently perform to get them promoted. They seem mentally tougher than some of the sides around them in the table, imo.

They’ve got big game mentality in that side and they’ve got some quality players.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You have Vardy though. I think you score a lot more goals breaking forward than Wolves to be honest.

The problem we have at times though is it's Vardy and Vardy alone. Wolves have Jimenez, Adama and Jota. Vardy as a single threat is as big as any of those three but as a combination I think their front three is more dangerous, especially against teams like Liverpool.

To be honest our tactics were absolute suicide both times against Liverpool.

34 minutes ago, Machado said:

xD Counting pixels to rule out goals. The state of the game.

I've seen it but it seems like you've missed the point.

How do we know in which split second the ball leaves the foot? Apply the tech in the other end as well then?

Skip one frame back... not offside, one frame after... 2 mm offside. Make the yellow line thicker... not offside. Sems rather arbitrary.

The tech isn't there for what they're trying to do.

Thickness of the line has absolutely nothing to do with it. There is a margin of error relating to framerate and when the ball is actually kicked, but it's nowhere near as big as has been suggested

Anyway, not our best performance as we looked disjointed throughout. Probably one of the worst this season. Complete coincidence that it came with Lallana playing in the advanced midfield position, I'm sure. Did just enought to win, though, which is good enough for me. Wolves are a really good side

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Thickness of the line has absolutely nothing to do with it. There is a margin of error relating to framerate and when the ball is actually kicked, but it's nowhere near as big as has been suggested

Anyway, not our best performance as we looked disjointed throughout. Probably one of the worst this season. Complete coincidence that it came with Lallana playing in the advanced midfield position, I'm sure. Did just enought to win, though, which is good enough for me. Wolves are a really good side

I thought Lallana was one of our better players today? I'm a big Kieta fan but when he replaced Lallana we seemed a lot more disjointed imo. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I thought Lallana was one of our better players today? I'm a big Kieta fan but when he replaced Lallana we seemed a lot more disjointed imo. 

Thought Keita brought a degree of control when he came on. Don't think Lallana was bad though. It wasn't our best performance but I don't think that's much to do with Lallana as was suggested above. I think the lack of changes (which I had no problem with) showed after about half an hour

I thought Wolves were the better side, much like Watford when they went there. Goes to show just how good Liverpool were the other night.

But Wolves missed composure in the final third. A lot of final balls or miscued shots when a calm head was needed. Shame as they gave them a real challenge.

But that has been the Liverpool of this season. By and large, they have soaked up pressure and been clinical when needed, and that's what frustrates the opposition or neutral fans that don't like Liverpool. They get close but can't take advantage.

Both decisions were correct. It's just that it's becoming frustrating due to the frequency of it happening, the lack of clarity and speed it's taking to deliver the decision.

Brilliant from VAR to overturn the Mane goal. How that is ever ckose to handball is beyond me.

Only thing I will say about all this is I went through an absolute rollercoaster watching Leeds win 5-4 earlier. The ecstasy of scoring that final goal is almost something most your Premier League fans have had taken away from you because you expect VAR to get involved.

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

What a load of shit. It's just getting beyond a joke now.

I think we saw the good and the bad with VAR today.

The ability to right the bad call on lallana is good (although it should have been much quicker).

The offside overrule was rubbish. No decision that close should ever be overruled like that. Total bullshit.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You can't be that big a Keita fan as you've been spelling his name wrong since he signed :ph34r:

I thought it was a very typical Lallana performance. Got in good areas and made space, but doesn't have the quality to turn that into a chance 9 times out of 10. I thought he was too high a lot of the time as well, so we struggled to get the ball forward through the midfield, which I actually think is where he brings the most value. Maybe that was the game plan, I don't know. Deserves a lot of credit for the goal though. Made a good run and did well to get his shoulder to it rather than his arm.

Really pleased that Gomez has come back in and looked back to his old self as well. I like Matip, but we look more in control with Gomez next to van Dijk

Ok so VAR put aside... I thought it was a decent game. First half we totally dominated without creating that many clear opportunities. Second half Wolves really upped their game and I couldn't really have argued against them deserving a draw. 

We just keep on finding ways to win, its remarkable really the run we are on.

The biggest issue with VAR is the collision of modern technology with a rule that was invented for an amateur sport with amateur officiating. 

Everyone talking about "daylight" and "clear offsides" etc is just wanting to recreate the natural leeway that occurs under the conditions of having an imperfect arbiter. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

The biggest issue with VAR is the collision of modern technology with a rule that was invented for an amateur sport with amateur officiating

Everyone talking about "daylight" and "clear offsides" etc is just wanting to recreate the natural leeway that occurs under the conditions of having an imperfect arbiter. 

We've definitely got that part.

• Subscriber

Glad we won that. We were the better team in the first half but this Wolves side can always just make two short passes and before you know it they are able to find spaces to convert a goal quick. Jimenez could have actually caused a problem towards the end of the game but he couldn't convert it. I think they will find their way into the CL if they can get a bit more consistency which isn't totally impossible with the players they have.

• The title was changed to Liverpool 1-0 Wolves - Sunday 29th December, 2019

Archived