talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stormzy

football forum

• Administrator

I've got a feeling I'll be in the minority on here who actually enjoys listening to his music...

Released a new album last Friday - Gang Signs And Prayer

I think because of the genre he is in he'll go unnoticed by majority. Also a big fan that he came out and spoke freely about his depression - being in the public eye at the time he's releasing his album, press are talking about both his music and mental illness. He'd have gained a lot of respect for that.

Regarding the music, I love Blinded By Your Grace Pt 2  and Cigarettes and Cush

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually don't mind it.  It's better than some of the American stuff out there at the moment where the rappers sound like they have a mouthful of hot potato or something.  It's the electronic "level-up" stuff going on in the background I have an issue with on some of these grime tracks.

• Subscriber

I like him, always have. I'm a fan of of the genre and he's one of the best at the minute. Massive achievement with how well his album is doing.

Ed Sheeran helped him massively with their performance and the remixes of his songs. 

• Subscriber

:x

A lot of his earlier stuff were freestyles and not officially released stuff. Not sure if there's much on Itunes or Spotify but i haven't checked for a while. It's mental how well his album is doing considering he's a grime artist. All the album has charted i think?

I love this freestyle from a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 6:16 PM, JOSHBRFC said:

:x

A lot of his earlier stuff were freestyles and not officially released stuff. Not sure if there's much on Itunes or Spotify but i haven't checked for a while. It's mental how well his album is doing considering he's a grime artist. All the album has charted i think?

I love this freestyle from a few years ago.

Fuck me a sample of a sample. xD

I can't say I listen to Stormzy. I have numerous friends who really like him and having been subject to it his appeal is in his originality. I don't see the problem in that. Many of the male artists in the charts now use recycled material and very similar acoustic arrangements.

He's different.

• 1 month later...

I had the unfortunate experience of listening to this lyrical genius the other day with my younger work colleague who pontificated about his genius. 

"Oh my god, it's Big Mikey
Copped a whip, it's so pricey
I should call my next one "Icy"
Touch the mic and get lively
Don't draw me out, I'll ask nicely 
Do the road and do wifey
I wonder why they don't like me
Cuh I'm

Cold
Cold"

i think if you think this is progress from Rap/hip hop you've probably spent the last 10 years using drugs and are now oblivious to the degenerative effects it's having on you. Utter gash, pure lyrical diarrhoea it's that bad it wouldn't have looked out of place on a post biggy puff daddy album. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

A pretty standard "act like a drug-dealing hard man" rapper with nothing original or thought-provoking about his lyrics. No wonder he's so popular.

there are some songs (on the album and not released as official singles) where he talks/sings about his mental health troubles. He's also suffered from depression which has influenced some songs or lyrics within songs. I can understand many might not like his music which is fair enough - each to their own as everyone has their own tastes/preferences - but there are some songs worth listening to if just for the lyrics.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

there are some songs (on the album and not released as official singles) where he talks/sings about his mental health troubles. He's also suffered from depression which has influenced some songs or lyrics within songs. I can understand many might not like his music which is fair enough - each to their own as everyone has their own tastes/preferences - but there are some songs worth listening to if just for the lyrics.

Fair play. I'm basing my opinion on what I've heard which as you might gather won't involve his album tracks as I'm not keen on his singles. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Fair play. I'm basing my opinion on what I've heard which as you might gather won't involve his album tracks as I'm not keen on his singles. 

yeah fair, can appreciate that. 

There's a song called Lay Me Bare on the latest album which emphasises what he's been through. 

On 3/5/2017 at 10:40 AM, Stan said:

I've got a feeling I'll be in the minority on here who actually enjoys listening to his music...

Released a new album last Friday - Gang Signs And Prayer

I think because of the genre he is in he'll go unnoticed by majority. Also a big fan that he came out and spoke freely about his depression - being in the public eye at the time he's releasing his album, press are talking about both his music and mental illness. He'd have gained a lot of respect for that.

Regarding the music, I love Blinded By Your Grace Pt 2  and Cigarettes and Cush

Don't mind him on a good bass system, not sure if Ice Cube is promoting him state side, they had a meeting about 6mths ago

Archived