talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

A relegation playoff?

The idea has been mentioned after comments that if Hull and Swansea are level after 38 games they'd have a 39th game playoff. 

I get that it's not fair but I actually think given the financial reward and possible global interest of a 17th Vs 18th contest it's an idea that should be considered. It would be just as exciting as the playoffs.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Not keen on the idea to be honest. Would prefer it stay as the direct 3 go down. What's their head to head? Is that a draw both ways as well?

7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If things had to be changed then I'd say the 18th placed team in the Premier League should play-off against the 3rd best team in the Championship.

That's the way I think it should be as it makes a lot more sense. Currently the 3rd best team in the lower leagues have to compete in a mini tournament against teams they're already proven themselves to be better than.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not keen on the idea to be honest. Would prefer it stay as the direct 3 go down. What's their head to head? Is that a draw both ways as well?

Hull beat them twice (which some may argue should relegate Swansea by default).

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Hull beat them twice (which some may argue should relegate Swansea by default).

Does head-to-head not count if GD, goals scored, conceded are all level?

16 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

The idea has been mentioned after comments that if Hull and Swansea are level after 38 games they'd have a 39th game playoff. 

I get that it's not fair but I actually think given the financial reward and possible global interest of a 17th Vs 18th contest it's an idea that should be considered. It would be just as exciting as the playoffs.

If the teams are level on all of the key factors i.e. W/D/L and GD then I can't really think of a more fair option. Taking from the Championship would undermine the play-off function and dropping one immediately seems a little unfair when there's not much in it.

The playoffs in England don't incentivise finishing higher up the table enough. They should expand the playoffs to six teams and make them only one game rather than a two-legged game

First round:

5th vs 8th 

6th vs 7th

Semi-Finals:

3rd vs Lowest Ranked Team from first round

4th vs Highest Ranked team from first round

Final: 

Same as before

• Subscriber

The Serie B has an interesting one if I remember rightly. I think the top two go up and then any teams down to 10th go into a play-offs system if they finish within 10 points of 2nd place, or something like that. So there will be a format for however many teams actually make the play-offs. I think it's quite complicated but it's actually a pretty good system.

Not sure I've explained that properly so it would be say...

1st - 81 points
2nd - 80
3rd - 76
4th - 74
5th - 73
6th - 71
7th - 70
8th - 67
9th - 66
10th - 66

So the top two go up and then the teams in this table from 3rd to 7th all go into a five team play-offs. Should only 3rd come within 10 points of 2nd then they would be promoted automatically. I think it's a good way of prolonging the incentive to go for it.

Archived