talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Battle 2019/20

West Ham are done, I think. Next six are Liverpool, City, Southampton, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs. 

Realistically, Liverpool and City you can write off. Tottenham away, though West Ham have pulled off results there in the past, is a tough ask and Wolves have drawn a lot on the road (6), though haven’t lost many (3). That leaves Southampton and Arsenal, they simply have to beat Southampton, for me. Arsenal away isn’t impossible to get a result but I think form and morale could be a determining factor there. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 points from that 6 would be enough for West Ham to keep them in it. Southampton, Arsenal and Wolves tough but winnable games.

The bottom sides progress at around 1 point per game. If West Ham come out of that spell on 28 from 31 they'll have the fixtures to stay up.

Our next five are very important fixtures:

Everton A

Newcastle H

Brighton A

Watford H

Bournemouth A

Get 6 points there and I reckon we are fine.

After that it is...

Liverpool A

Burnley H

Leicester A

Chelsea H

Aston Villa A

Man Utd H

Wolves A

Spurs H

I know traditionally we do well against big clubs and I know I sound like a broken record but that it is not a sustainable business model long term. Theres only so many times you can circle round the plug hole before getting sucked down. Given the lack of long term planning I would fancy us to be closer to the bottom three than the playoffs of The Championship if we drop. Let's get these points early and pray that a takeover is imminent.

• Administrator

Spoke about West Ham's fixtures, but they just mentioned some of Bournemouth's fixtures they still have left this season during their game...

Home:
Chelsea
Spurs
Leicester
Southampton

Away
Liverpool
Wolves
Man Utd
Man City

And some potential 6-pointers against Palace and perhaps Burnley & Newcastle - not sure about the last 2 as I think they'll be safe but they could easily get pulled in to the relegation battle.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Spoke about West Ham's fixtures, but they just mentioned some of Bournemouth's fixtures they still have left this season during their game...

Home:
Chelsea
Spurs
Leicester
Southampton

Away
Liverpool
Wolves
Man Utd
Man City

And some potential 6-pointers against Palace and perhaps Burnley & Newcastle - not sure about the last 2 as I think they'll be safe but they could easily get pulled in to the relegation battle.

Not winning games in their juicy run of fixtures they had after Christmas will really hurt them.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, N U F C said:

I still think we could get dragged down but realistically we are probably only a win and a couple of draws from being safe. God only knows how.

Yeah I think 37/38 points is good enough given everyone seems to nick points off each other (apart from Liverpool) .

38 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

How did Burnley manage to win 10 games :4_joy:

Survival in this age really does start at the back.

I feel like Burnley have to be one of the most clinical teams in the league as their chance creation seems a lot lower in a match compared to their goals

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

I feel like Burnley have to be one of the most clinical teams in the league as their chance creation seems a lot lower in a match compared to their goals

I saw a video of the worst clubs statistically in Europe's big 5 leagues on things like chances and possession etc. Newcastle and Burnley are the two English clubs who repeatedly appear in the lists. When it comes to chances it seems La Liga have a lot of Burnley's.

Archived