talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Battle 2019/20

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Great topic mate. Relegation battle topic then talk about a side that you don't think is threatened by relegation any more :P 

Norwich, Villa and Arsenal to go down :ph34r:

In all serious, I think Norwich and Villa are destined to go down based on first half of the season. Think Watford may just about stay up by the skin of their teeth. Pearson has stopped the slide they were on but that could be down to new manager bounce/honeymoon period etc. Teams like West Ham, Bournemouth, Brighton are so inconsistent it's hard to tell what they'll do. Everton are guaranteed safety under Ancelotti now.

image.png

The other side that have surprised me are Newcastle. Seem to have picked up a bit of decent form before yesterday and now in 10th. Thought they'd be well in the relegation mix under Bruce 

• The title was changed to Relegation Battle 2019/20

@Stan I tried to upload a picture of the table but on my phone so it wouldn’t work 😂 In fairness Saints looked like they were on a landslide to the Championship and Ralph Hasenhuttl looked on the verge of the sack, considering how bad their form was leading up to playing you lot and then the 7-0 loss the turnaround has been remarkable 

Villa have two things going for them to dig them out, the first is Jack Grealish. The second is, assuming he doesn’t get sacked, Dean Smith. Famous for his lopsided runs of form at Walsall and with us, he will be due a good run of results soon enough.

At this point it is too early to tell all three sides, I think Norwich will eventually go down and so will Watford. Villa look like they’ll battle it out with West Ham imo. I expect Bournemouth to go on a run of form to see them safe. Realistically Brighton could get caught in the battle but I think they’ve got the goals in Maupay and their other forwards to stay up

• Subscriber

I think Hasenhuttl is a really decent manager and has been given pretty awful resources. Their squad is absolutely nowhere near what it should be to say they've been in this league for about 8 years now, even if they have been regularly picked apart, to have so little to show for it isn't on. I think against us they were suicidal and his football is quite risky - and the way that game panned out against us they were always going to be hammered.

Their problem is they're just so bad at home. Away from home they're actually not bad at all, I can see them getting something away here in a fortnight if we aren't careful. They'll be well up for proving a point in that too.

I think the current bottom three will go. Norwich are as I predicted - they play good football but they're just not getting the results. Aston Villa I think despite yesterday's win are in the shit. Watford may be that bit far off but there is no doubt they have made an improvement under Pearson so far.

West Ham seem to always pull off a result when they need it most. This worries me ahead of tomorrow. They have been absolutely awful for months now though and Pellegrini's probably the next manager to go.

Just now, Dan said:

I didn't realise how low down Brighton were. I thought they were about 9th xD

I think the perception of their change of style has made people think they’re higher up the table but I think Potter has taken one less point at the same point this season as Hughton did last season

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think the perception of their change of style has made people think they’re higher up the table but I think Potter has taken one less point at the same point this season as Hughton did last season

You often get teams like this, they knock it around very well but frequently just come up short when getting the results, and people think the results will come. In their case I think they might, they've already been to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd away and that's significant to me in a table this tight.

I think the bottom three will stay as it is.

Watford will go. Thank god. The most turgid team of idiots to ever grace this divison.

Norwich will go. I feel sorry for Farke as he hasn't really been backed financially. It's a similar mistake to what Norwich made last time.

Aston Villa have too many similarities to Fulham. Spent a lot of money on bang average players. Grealish may be there saving grace but Southampton are clicking and West Ham may get a managerial bounce.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

I think the bottom three will stay as it is.

Watford will go. Thank god. The most turgid team of idiots to ever grace this divison.

Norwich will go. I feel sorry for Farke as he hasn't really been backed financially. It's a similar mistake to what Norwich made last time.

Aston Villa have too many similarities to Fulham. Spent a lot of money on bang average players. Grealish may be there saving grace but Southampton are clicking and West Ham may get a managerial bounce.

Agree with you on Watford, they just play hoofball shite and really have no value at this point. If the football was more entertaining it’d be interesting to see them hang about but all they’ll do is scrap their way up the table emulating Burnley.

xG has Newcastle, Palace and Norwich as the bottom three. While I don’t think they’ll go down, I do expect to see Newcastle drop a little down the table and I would be surprised to see Palace qualify for Europe. It’s no surprise that Norwich are in amongst the bottom though, I hope they do stay up but I just cannot see it. 

West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth are the other sides in the bottom six of the xG table, all of which I’m not surprised about. 

• Subscriber

Watford were always going to go eventually. The managerial merry-go-round only works as long as you avoid making a poor appointment and bringing Flores back was a poor appointment. You need a Stoke or Burnley type model if you want to do more as a club of that stature and establish yourself in the league for a period of time. Deeney coming back is the only chance they have to save their season as he along with Will Hughes are the only players who give Watford any actual identity. The rest of their players just seem to be a bunch of randoms who would turn up in La Liga in two years and that's the first time you've noticed they aren't at Watford any longer.

Norwich are probably dead and buried. Just not enough about them.

Villa still have a chance for me if Mings and Grealish can stay fit. There are a host of other teams that are capable of getting dragged down into a scrap.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

xG has Newcastle, Palace and Norwich as the bottom three. While I don’t think they’ll go down, I do expect to see Newcastle drop a little down the table and I would be surprised to see Palace qualify for Europe. It’s no surprise that Norwich are in amongst the bottom though, I hope they do stay up but I just cannot see it. 

West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth are the other sides in the bottom six of the xG table, all of which I’m not surprised about. 

Which is incredible as two of those are in the top half.

Norwich seem to do this every time they come up. They're often an entertaining, but ultimately not that good side, and get relegated 'respectably' and 'had a go'. They spent about one millon on transfer fees in the summer. I say this as somebody who is totally in favour of finding a bargain and hates unnecessary wasted money - that's pathetic. In 2019, that's nowhere near good enough, there is absolutely no way they cannot spend more than that after getting promoted in this day and age, and don't forget they got promoted on the back of selling Maddison to us for about £25mil as well.

I think they're trying to do what Burnley did. Bank the cash and go again. It may work but I've got no idea why they couldn't have had a bit more of a go this time around.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Eco said:

I still think the worst 3 teams are Southampton, Watford, and Norwich City. 

19 hours ago, Eco said:

I still think the worst 3 teams are Southampton, Watford, and Norwich City. 

Funnily enough after the 9-0 thrashing Southampton have shown decent form.

It's weird how Villa looked to be playing really well but just didn't hold on for results at times, it seemed they'd surely be ok in the long run. Then they started to look just alright, and it seemed about right they were in lower-mid table. Now they look more likely to go down than basically anyone besides Norwich. 

Archived