talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jannik Vestergaard - Leicester Linked

football forum

Werder Bremen are looking to sign their former player, Danish international defender Jannik Vestergaard this coming January. The Southampton player joined the English club just after featuring for Denmark at the 2018 World Cup.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11896632/jannik-vestergaard-werder-bremen-want-to-re-sign-southampton-defender

https://bulinews.com/news/4191/jannik-vestergaard-return-werder-bremen-january

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Michael said:

Werder Bremen are looking to sign their former player, Danish international defender Jannik Vestergaard this coming January. The Southampton player joined the English club just after featuring for Denmark at the 2018 World Cup.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/11896632/jannik-vestergaard-werder-bremen-want-to-re-sign-southampton-defender

https://bulinews.com/news/4191/jannik-vestergaard-return-werder-bremen-january

Would welcome him with open arms... That said, a report in Weser Kurier (local Bremen newspaper) says it's completely unrealistic; however Vestergaard's agent apparently didn't straight out deny the rumour. Let's see what happens.

How has he been doing at Southampton? 

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Would welcome him with open arms... That said, a report in Weser Kurier (local Bremen newspaper) says it's completely unrealistic; however Vestergaard's agent apparently didn't straight out deny the rumour. Let's see what happens.

If he joins, it's most likely going to be a loan deal, as Southampton actually declared a couple of weeks ago that they would like to loan him out in January. I think a loan deal would be very possible for Werder.

Vestergaard hasn't done great this season, but neither have the Southampton team as a whole. He hasn't played for Southampton since early November against Everton, so I am sure that the player himself would be happy to move, especially if it means moving back to Germany and his old club Werder Breman. Vestergaard is actually half German as well, as his mother is German.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Jannik Vestergaard - Leicester Linked
  • Subscriber
On 28/12/2019 at 15:58, nudge said:

Interesting that you seem to rate him. From the bits I've seen I've thought he looks a bit of a carthorse in all honesty, slow and easily exposed in this league, and Southampton and Denmark fans seem to be edging towards that thinking too.

Bit more encouraged after reading what you've put though as that shows that maybe it's just that Southampton isn't the place to get the best from him. I am however still not totally happy with us spending £15-20mil on essentially a 27 year old back-up. I'd rather buy someone younger if we're willing to spend that much.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Dan said:

Interesting that you seem to rate him. From the bits I've seen I've thought he looks a bit of a carthorse in all honesty, slow and easily exposed in this league, and Southampton and Denmark fans seem to be edging towards that thinking too.

Bit more encouraged after reading what you've put though as that shows that maybe it's just that Southampton isn't the place to get the best from him. I am however still not totally happy with us spending £15-20mil on essentially a 27 year old back-up. I'd rather buy someone younger if we're willing to spend that much.

I haven't seen him play ever since he left us so my opinion is strictly based on his performances in the Bundesliga years ago... I thought he was good for both Gladbach and Hoffenheim, and then he was a very reliable player for us and played an important role in us avoiding relegation. So I'm obviously biased but I think he is a decent player. Now the price tag does seem crazy to me but then I don't get modern football anymore anyway. 

If I was Southampton I'd rip Leicester's arm off for that. He's been poor.

I don't get at all why Leicester would even contemplate this unless they saw something special in the 9-0 win.

By special, I mean special needs.

He was great for Gladbach, so I was surprised to see him leave for a relatively low reputation team like Southampton. Not sure how he's doing there, not so great apparently, but he's a very reliable center back. 15 Mio doesn't seem too much compared to what some English teams pay for absolute whoppers. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I don't get at all why Leicester would even contemplate this unless they saw something special in the 9-0 win.

I'd imagine purely just to help squad depth for more games next season in our European exploits...

Perhaps we can find better targets but they may come at a higher cost.

I think as a back-up it's not a bad option. I doubt he'd be a first team starter. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

I'd imagine purely just to help squad depth for more games next season in our European exploits...

Perhaps we can find better targets but they may come at a higher cost.

I think as a back-up it's not a bad option. I doubt he'd be a first team starter. 

I don't get why you would add someone to a squad though if you felt they were not capable of challenging Soyuncu and Evans. You want them all pushing eachother ideally. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Yeah if I was being optimistic I would say that it was only 0-5 at half time whe  he was subbed.

• 5 months later...
  • The topic was locked

Archived