talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham Sack Manuel Pellegrini

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Have you seen the weird stats the BBC's cherry picked to make him look like one of the most successful managers in the league?

It's all pretty strange, tbh - no idea why the BBC's taken up the role of PR for West Ham, but... for some reason they've cherry picked the stat to be after 300 matches (without explaining why it's 300 matches). And as a result, that makes Moyes look like a top 5 manager in the league.

That sort of cherry picking though leaves off some notable names that have SIGNIFICANTLY higher win rates than Moyes. Those managers would be: Pep (with an absolutely insane 75% win rate), Klopp, Rodgers, and Pochettino.

There's no real reason for 300 matches been given as the metric (it's around 8 seasons... which makes it even more weird).

But his claim that "winning is what I do" is made all the more funny when you consider that he's actually the manager for West Ham with their worst ever win-ratio in the history of their time in the Premier League.

The stat is best win ratios having managed 300 games or more. Basically he's 5th in that. Top of the managers who define mediocrity with 38.8%. So the likes of Hodgson, O'Neill, Pardew, Allardyce are all within a few % of him.  There's over 10% between Moyes in 5th and Benitez in 4th. For him to try and put himself in the company of those four ahead of him is ludicrous

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The stat is best win ratios having managed 300 games or more. Basically he's 5th in that. Top of the managers who define mediocrity with 38.8%. So the likes of Hodgson, O'Neill, Pardew, Allardyce are all within a few % of him.  There's over 10% between Moyes in 5th and Benitez in 4th. For him to try and put himself in the company of those four ahead of him is ludicrous

But why 300 matches? It's just an arbitrary stat that's been picked out to make him a top 5 manager - what's so special about managing for 8 odd seasons? I suspect he doesn't want to make it around 100 matches because then he'd not only be comparing himself with Rafa/Jose/Arsene/and that evil fella who was at United for decades... but he'd also be up against Klopp, Pep, Poch, and Rodgers all with much more impressive win rates than Moyes has in 100.

It's a weird fucking stat the BBC is rolling with to make Moyes look good.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But why 300 matches? It's just an arbitrary stat that's been picked out to make him a top 5 manager - what's so special about managing for 8 odd seasons? I suspect he doesn't want to make it around 100 matches because then he'd not only be comparing himself with Rafa/Jose/Arsene/and that evil fella who was at United for decades... but he'd also be up against Klopp, Pep, Poch, and Rodgers all with much more impressive win rates than Moyes has in 100.

It's a weird fucking stat the BBC is rolling with to make Moyes look good.

Oh I agree, he knows that very few of the top managers stick around to make 300 games. Most of them are made up of the same faces who get jobs at the bottom half clubs. 

The West Ham board have obviously decided to reset and are eating some serious humble pie in doing so or they're seeing something in Moyes now that they didn't then which is hard to believe considering he hasn't managed since he left there.

It could also be options other than the usual firefighters aren't exactly huge. They aren't going to get Benitez out of China this side of the summer although I suspect they'd dearly love to. Pochettino will wait for one of the big clubs in Europe and will have no interest. Emery wants a break and will be tainted by his failures at Arsenal. I can't see Silva managing in England again for a long time, if ever. Dyche would cost serious compensation and that's even if he might be interested. Ditto Howe although his stock is now falling. 

A Championship manager is, usually, seen as too risky by most sides so that leaves a Moyes, an Allardyce or a Pulis. 

It remains to be seen whether Moyes can ever regain what he had at the beginning and middle of his Everton career. I don't think the last stint he had at West Ham, where Arnautovic's genius was there to bail them out a lot, gave any kind of conclusion as to whether that is the case. The board certainly didn't think so and it did seem that his experience at United broke Moyes. 

It could end badly or it could end in mediocrity. 

• Subscriber

Do the BBC at any point mention that Moyes hasn't had a job since West Ham sacked him 18 months ago?

I don't even think he's a particularly bad manager to be honest and I don't see them going down under him but this whole episode paints a sorry picture for that club. They're hopeless.

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's also just mental how they've brought him in and think he'll fix things. His time with West Ham was dire - it was setting up 9 men deep and defending and hoping Arnautovic would grab them a goal or two. Doubt it'll work with Antonio trying to grab those same goals.

I recall that essentially being why they ditched him in the first place. The football was turgid. Even at his best, Everton were the dullest side to repeatedly grace the top half in my life time.

I suppose he might get West Ham back to their Allardyce stability. A meaningless life.

Archived