• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

All Matches - 1-2nd January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not been impressed by Sheffield United really. No contest again.

Liverpool will finish on 106 points as an absolute minimum - unless they start playing the kids in April to focus on number 7.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not watching on BT so don't know what McManaman is talking about but do most sides do similar things to Liverpool week in week out?

No but that isn't the point. One example was TAA putting in a cross which went beyond everyone and nearly went out for a throw-in and he says 'that cross is so good it went out for a throw in' with no hint of sarcasm amongst several other things, and at the same time downplaying anything good Sheff Utd will do. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

No but that isn't the point. One example was TAA putting in a cross which went beyond everyone and nearly went out for a throw-in and he says 'that cross is so good it went out for a throw in' with no hint of sarcasm amongst several other things, and at the same time downplaying anything good Sheff Utd will do. 

Tbf, Sheffield United didn't do much today. Organised at the back, sure but they hardly tested us. We were pretty impressive today, considering we never really got out of second gear yet dominated.

The only thing riding on this season will be Liverpool going to Man City in April with the aim of going for the invincibles tag, and City wanting to stop them grabbing that label.

Rest is history.

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf, Sheffield United didn't do much today. Organised at the back, sure but they hardly tested us. We were pretty impressive today, considering we never really got out of second gear yet dominated.

Yeah I don't deny Sheff Utd were poor. But it's the sheer over-exaggeration. Like today, Liverpool won at a canter. I think most ardent of Liverpool fans would say there wasn't much special about this performance. It was fairly simple. But McManaman goes on like it was a 10/10 world class showing xD 

• Subscriber

I've always thought it about McManaman. It's too biased to take seriously. It's every time as well.

Hoddle commentating on Spurs (and England, regarding Spurs players) is equally as nauseating.

Fully agree that McManaman's shite. I find it so embarrassing to watch sometimes. Not a fan of Michael Owen trying to jump back on the bandwagon either

Keita's brilliant, and has been for us since about this time last year. He's so underrated because he wins the ball back and moves it forwards way more than many think, and now he's started to add the goals and assists to his game in the Premier League. If he can stay fit, he could easily be one of the best midfielders in the league. But he can't stay fit, and even when he is he doesn't finish 90 minutes. He's well worth persisting with for now, but he won't be forever.

That second goal is sublime. Two passes that had to be absolutely perfect and they were. Shame in a way that Mane needed two bites of the cherry, but it very much deserved to be finished.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Yeah I don't deny Sheff Utd were poor. But it's the sheer over-exaggeration. Like today, Liverpool won at a canter. I think most ardent of Liverpool fans would say there wasn't much special about this performance. It was fairly simple. But McManaman goes on like it was a 10/10 world class showing xD 

I kind of felt like it was today, but not because of the performance in isolation, rather because it's the third tough league match since we got back from the club World cup and we've kept clean sheets in every one of them and looked so comfortable today. It was so damn impressive because it epitomises where we're doing.

The stability has really returned to the defence to the point it feels like that period at the start of last season where we conceded about 6 goals up to Christmas. It seems to be the Virgil Gomez partnership that delivers that stability. Long may it continue.

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, Harry said:

I kind of felt like it was today, but not because of the performance in isolation, rather because it's the third tough league match since we got back from the club World cup and we've kept clean sheets in every one of them and looked so comfortable today. It was so damn impressive because it epitomises where we're doing.

The stability has really returned to the defence to the point it feels like that period at the start of last season where we conceded about 6 goals up to Christmas. It seems to be the Virgil Gomez partnership that delivers that stability. Long may it continue.

Sorry but today wasn't tough for you at all. Neither was your game with us. They turned in to walkovers pretty much. Pre-game each match yes there may have been some doubt about the game(s) but you guys made it look easy as much as the opponents were poor. I wouldn't put it down to 'world-class' either. That's a long stretch and overstates a decent performance, in my opinion. 

World class is like something over Barca or Bayern and where pretty much everything was perfect. There is stability no question and you're in great form. I wouldn't say you were tested too greatly either today. 

22 minutes ago, Dan said:

Our game yesterday we had the 5th highest number of passes made in a Premier League game ever. Liverpool knocked us down to 6th today already xD

Where did this one end up on the list? Wouldn't be surprised if the top 5 was this one and then 4 of Pep's City xD

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Where did this one end up on the list? Wouldn't be surprised if the top 5 was this one and then 4 of Pep's City xD

Top I think mate?

Anyway, From Chris Wilder: „Sheffield United’s manager is miffed at a “really below-par performance” and says Liverpool did all the unglamorous bits of the game better than his team: “It was very unlike us. We didn’t lay a glove on them. We didn’t do anything that has got us into this position ... We made it difficult for them at our place but not here ... They won every first ball, every second ball, and ran back. They did it better than us... They played in second or third gear but still had the humility and desire to do that as world champions, European champions and obviously soon to be Premier League champions.... I wish Jürgen and Liverpool all the best. I love everything about them, the physical and tactical aspects. ”

Top man. 

18 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

And people wanking over Arsenal and Arteta need to give their heads a wobble. Both goals were direct results of deflections from a defender straight to the goal scorer. Nothing much more apart from that. OGS set that team up to give Arsenal maximum space to exploit. Why we played a high press I’ll never know as our pace never got in behind. Poor yet again from Solksjaer. His win rate is now a paltry 29.5%. Embarrassing.

I agree that it's way too soon to think that Arteta will be a success. Arteta is a young manager and this is his first ever job as 1st team manager of a club. This is a big first ever managerial challenge for him at a huge club like Arsenal. Arteta would of learned a lot from being an assistant coach at Man City, but that was a very different role, than the position he now has as first team manager at Arsenal. There will be a lot of pressure and high expectations placed on his shoulders at Arsenal. As a young manager it will be interesting to see how he deals with the backlash when things aren't going so well.

Having said that, you can't criticize Arsenal's performance too much against Man United. Never mind their 2 goals, they created so many chances in that first half and they were a constant threat. The goals were always going to come, you force your luck in football. Constant pressure almost always leads to things falling kindly for you in football. You can't take too much away from Arsenal, despite the fact that United weren't at their best.

9 hours ago, Stan said:

It's a shame Sheff Utd don't have better strikers to really threaten teams. Their midfield and defence do a lot of the (hard) work but to have McGoldrick & Mousset as 2 of your striking options doesn't exactly scream fear in to your opponents. 

In fact their position in the league is testament to the other parts of their squad, namely their defensive players or midfielders that love to get on the scoresheet too - Lundstram & Fleck especially. 

Wonder if they'll go for anyone this month to improve that area of the team.

We signed 3 attackers in the summer, so we've already thrown quite a bit of money at it already, Mousset has been decent, McBurnie the disappointment so far.

For this season.. we might have to stick with our guns. We're being loosely linked with Sturridge but I think he'll go Villa (bullet dodged), also Ollie Watkins of Brentford & Eze of QPR (a good replacement for McGoldrick) but I can see a bigger club taking a gamble on him tbh.

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Sorry but today wasn't tough for you at all. Neither was your game with us. They turned in to walkovers pretty much. Pre-game each match yes there may have been some doubt about the game(s) but you guys made it look easy as much as the opponents were poor. I wouldn't put it down to 'world-class' either. That's a long stretch and overstates a decent performance, in my opinion. 

World class is like something over Barca or Bayern and where pretty much everything was perfect. There is stability no question and you're in great form. I wouldn't say you were tested too greatly either today. 

It wasn't a tough match only because we were much better than they were. But going into the period it was 3 games in a row against top 6 sides, and it was comfortably dealt with and clean sheets to boot. 

We won this in second gear. That's what's so impressive about it. It was the controlled manner of that I found so impressive. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

I'd say Liverpool were pretty much perfect last night. Perfect doesn't have to be winning 6-0. It was cruise control and Liverpool have managed to win comfortably while getting decent rests on the ball throughout that match

58 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'd say Liverpool were pretty much perfect last night. Perfect doesn't have to be winning 6-0. It was cruise control and Liverpool have managed to win comfortably while getting decent rests on the ball throughout that match

Agreed.

Big difference between last night's performance and "winning when not at your best"... Last night we were at our best but chose to remain in second gear as being all that was needed to get the job done. It was hugely impressive.

First half we were decent and defended well, in the second even tough we had chances we could have easily concede more than once. Kepa did well to twice deny Brighton, and couldn't do anything with the worldie equalizer. Good thing is that United, Spurs, Wolves and Sheffield all lost so we basically "increased" our lead at top four. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Harry said:

It wasn't a tough match only because we were much better than they were. But going into the period it was 3 games in a row against top 6 sides, and it was comfortably dealt with and clean sheets to boot. 

We won this in second gear. That's what's so impressive about it. It was the controlled manner of that I found so impressive. 

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Agreed.

Big difference between last night's performance and "winning when not at your best"... Last night we were at our best but chose to remain in second gear as being all that was needed to get the job done. It was hugely impressive.

Just don't agree with it being 'world class'. 

Professional, efficient, impressive. All those things yes. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived