football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Putting Porto aside as they would be my top pick. You've got others like

• AS Monaco going on the run they did
  • Ajax in last season's edition
  • FC Shalke 04 when they had Raul playing as the striker was that 2009 or later? They went all the way to the semis and I wanted them to beat United. 

2 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Pellegrini getting Villarreal to the semis of the Champs league in 2006 was one. They were very close to making the final as well.

I can also remember Man United finishing bottom of the group Villarreal were in that year @Teso dos Bichos:coffee:

You prolly make more comments about man utd than Blackburn bruh.  Just say you wana join the process hype and get over it. 

The comeback against Napoli

The two legged affair against arguably the greatest managed side of all time in Pep's Barcelona. 

Equaliser in the final minutes against Bayern at their home stadium then beating them at penalties at their end. 

That was a mental experience. 

• Subscriber
On 31/12/2019 at 21:39, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Apoel from fucking Cyprus made the last 8 and people are talking about a team with Maniche, Carvalho and Deco starting against Monaco. Fuck me the Chelsea team that won it was arguably worse.

In terms of overall tournament Porto is easily the bigger underdog story. History remembers the winners and Porto winning it and their incredible season will live long in our memories. Apoel reaching the last 8 is great for them obviously but i'm much more impressed what Porto achieved. 

Couple more -

Dortmund winning it in 1997. Beating Juve.  Zidane, Vieri and Del Piero getting beat by Paul Lambert  :ph34r:xD

Deportivo coming back from 4-1 down against AC Milan to reach the Semi Final's in 2004.

Dynamo Kiev and Shevchenko knocking out Real Madrid to make the Semi Final in 1999.

• Subscriber

Tell you a weird recent one, and it's not Champions League, but Dnipro. Made the Europa League final in 2015, lost it to Sevilla (as you do), were liquidated within two years xD it's a really odd one.

On 01/01/2020 at 11:29, Carnivore Chris said:

Pellegrini getting Villarreal to the semis of the Champs league in 2006 was one. They were very close to making the final as well.

I can also remember Man United finishing bottom of the group Villarreal were in that year @Teso dos Bichos:coffee:

Forgot about that one. Didn't Riquelme have a penalty saved late on too?

On 07/01/2020 at 20:31, Dan said:

Tell you a weird recent one, and it's not Champions League, but Dnipro. Made the Europa League final in 2015, lost it to Sevilla (as you do), were liquidated within two years xD it's a really odd one.

Or Fulham Europa League final 2010. 

• 2 months later...

I am pretty realistic, fair and unbiased normally but not sure how we haven't been mentioned once?

Not saying we are the greatest underdog in the competition but not one mention is a little harsh.

I mean we were severely underrated and got the furthest from the domestic clubs including Man U and Arsenal. 

We finished 3rd in the league, had to get through a qualifier with 1860 Munich and then got drawn with AC Milan (Prime Shevchenko, Bierhoff, Leonardo, Boban, Maldini, Serginho etc) and Barcelona (Rivaldo, Kluivert, Xavi, Petit, Overmars, Cocu, De Boer etc) and Besiktas who were the whipping boys.

Stuffed 4-0 at the Nou Camp first game and all we got was pelters how we were out of our depth.

And then we beat AC Milan 1-0 on a thundery, rainy night at Elland Road with the shittiest goal you'll see and we grafted our way to 2nd in the group.

Then we had to go through another group stage with Real Madrid (defending champions), Lazio and Anderlecht and somehow managed to get through that in all. Bare in mind that Lazio team had Salas, Crespo, Nedved, Veron, Stankovic, Simeone, Nesta, Mihajlovic and Peruzzi.

We then beat a Deportivo La Coruna team in the quaters who had that golden era side of Diego Tristan, Roy Mackaay, Fran, Valeron, Djalminha etc and the stars looked like they may be aligning.

Eventually knocked out in the semis by Valencia who had been previous years runners up, and the eventual runners up of this competition.

But a hell of a brave run from a young team with no fear. Very easy to overlook what we did but that was a hell of an effort, especially given thise were the days you had to get through two round robin groups.

As for overall underdog, you don't get much more underdog for me than injury time and 1-0 down to Bayern Munich in the final, only to win 2-1 a couple minutes later. Credit where it's due to the bastards.

On 02/04/2020 at 17:34, Lucas said:

I am pretty realistic, fair and unbiased normally but not sure how we haven't been mentioned once?

Not saying we are the greatest underdog in the competition but not one mention is a little harsh.

I mean we were severely underrated and got the furthest from the domestic clubs including Man U and Arsenal. 

We finished 3rd in the league, had to get through a qualifier with 1860 Munich and then got drawn with AC Milan (Prime Shevchenko, Bierhoff, Leonardo, Boban, Maldini, Serginho etc) and Barcelona (Rivaldo, Kluivert, Xavi, Petit, Overmars, Cocu, De Boer etc) and Besiktas who were the whipping boys.

Stuffed 4-0 at the Nou Camp first game and all we got was pelters how we were out of our depth.

And then we beat AC Milan 1-0 on a thundery, rainy night at Elland Road with the shittiest goal you'll see and we grafted our way to 2nd in the group.

Then we had to go through another group stage with Real Madrid (defending champions), Lazio and Anderlecht and somehow managed to get through that in all. Bare in mind that Lazio team had Salas, Crespo, Nedved, Veron, Stankovic, Simeone, Nesta, Mihajlovic and Peruzzi.

We then beat a Deportivo La Coruna team in the quaters who had that golden era side of Diego Tristan, Roy Mackaay, Fran, Valeron, Djalminha etc and the stars looked like they may be aligning.

Eventually knocked out in the semis by Valencia who had been previous years runners up, and the eventual runners up of this competition.

But a hell of a brave run from a young team with no fear. Very easy to overlook what we did but that was a hell of an effort, especially given thise were the days you had to get through two round robin groups.

As for overall underdog, you don't get much more underdog for me than injury time and 1-0 down to Bayern Munich in the final, only to win 2-1 a couple minutes later. Credit where it's due to the bastards.

Mate I was 10 years old then, I would hazard a guess most people on this forum were around that age, maybe even younger too. My only memories of European football that young was the United treble and Zidane’s volley, otherwise Champions League football started properly in my head around 01/02/03. Obviously now you lay it out I can recollect Leeds United’s run but it wouldn’t have stuck out tbh...

5 hours ago, Danny said:

Mate I was 10 years old then, I would hazard a guess most people on this forum were around that age, maybe even younger too. My only memories of European football that young was the United treble and Zidane’s volley, otherwise Champions League football started properly in my head around 01/02/03. Obviously now you lay it out I can recollect Leeds United’s run but it wouldn’t have stuck out tbh...

Serves me right for being a bit older then xD

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Serves me right for being a bit older then xD

Also helped you support Leeds ;) I think it’s probably quite forgettable to none Leeds because you only made the semis 

Archived