• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Third Round Matches - 4-6th January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I can't even defend us. Totally embarrassing today. The second half was summed up with Walcott getting in behind and creating what was essentially a 3 on 1 then twatting it aimlessly across the pitch for a throw in. Probably the worst pass I've ever seen from a Premier League footballer. If I fucked up a chance that badly in a Sunday League game I'd lose sleep over it.

"Liverpool could put out their under 18s and Everton could have Ancelotti as manager and they still wouldn't win at Anfield" sounds like a joke tweet from about 3 years ago yet here we are.

If any of the following players are still a part of our first team squad in 18 months we've got serious problems: Coleman, Keane, Baines, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Walcott, Tosun. And that's not even mentioning all the dross we still have out on loan that we're still paying wages for.

• Subscriber

Think it's probably hit Ancelotti now what he's signed up for.

Honestly I've seen you have some bad days but this is just the absolute nadir. Nothing short of humiliating. I wouldn't even be upset if we drew Liverpool in round 4 as they'll likely stick with that side for as long as they stay in - and yet Everton mustered nothing.

At half time I thought you probably deserved to be ahead, had been kept out a few times but genuinely said to my mate "would be so utterly Everton for them to lose this 1-0". What in the fuck happened to you at half time? That second half was a disgrace.

I genuinely think that today is even more embarrassing than us losing at Newport.

If that happened in Italy they would be facing allsorts at training the next day.

• Subscriber

Sigurdsson was decent in his first two seasons but ultimately too slow to play as a number ten the way football has moved on. He could potentially be competent in a midfield three but not in a midfield two. If we were to play a midfield three he would be competing with Schneiderlin over being 5th choice for me now though behind Gomes, Gbamin, Davies and Delph.

Everything has dried up with Sigurdsson though, set piece delivery has gone to shit, can't seem to create anything and his lack of pace has been exposed badly during this recent phase of playing him in a midfield pair.

It's still worth remembering though that he effectively replaced Ross Barkley in this team and had two seasons better than anything Barkley ever produced for us, even if he's now apparently crap.

• Subscriber

If it didn't mean having to put Keane back alongside Mina, I'd have Holgate in midfield ahead of Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson as well. Again, the three liabilities in that sentence remain a legacy of the Koeman-Walsh era that stand as a reminder of how long it takes to recover from a summer of such spectacularly awful recruitment.

Just checking Everton’s spending over the last few years online. Understandably, these figures could be wrong but I imagine they’re in the same ball park as what they’ve actually paid and it’s actually shocking how poor they’ve been in the transfer market. 

£25m on Bolasie, £25m on Schneiderlin, £27m on Tosun, £20m on Walcott, £23.5m on Klaassen, £45m on Sigurdsson and £35m on Iwobi since Moshiri bought the club are alarmingly bad decisions. 

I feel for this Moshiri a tiny bit. He’s seemingly being taken for a mug but alleged “football people” and has poured millions down the drain on some rubbish based on the recommendations of these people. 

For what they spent on players, they should never have been having Marco Silva as a manager and someone like Carlo Ancelotti should have been top of their list after Koeman went. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

£25m on Bolasie, £25m on Schneiderlin, £27m on Tosun, £20m on Walcott, £23.5m on Klaassen, £45m on Sigurdsson and £35m on Iwobi since Moshiri bought the club are alarmingly bad decisions. 

All signed by Koeman/Walsh/Allardyce apart from Iwobi. Also Williams £12m, Keane £25m, there's more but too many to remember. This is before you get into the wages. Sandro Ramirez was only signed for £5m but got given a 5 year contract on six figures a week. He scored one goal for us and spent the next 2 years on loan in Spain before he scored again.

At least things have been less shocking since Brands came in with an actual knowledge of how to be a Director of Football. Richarlison, Mina, Digne, Gomes, Iwobi, Kean, Gbamin have all come in for sizeable fees as well but at least they've all been under 25 when they've signed unlike the majority of Koeman's acquisitions. He treated us as a three year stepping stone on his way to the Barcelona job, spent all that money on 27 year olds and was ready to leave us to pick up the pieces of an aging and expensive squad, even before he got sacked early. Allardyce as well spent £50m on Walcott and Tosun just to have an impact on the rest of his season in charge. We're still recovering from that. Walsh oversaw it all. At least when Silva failed with the players he wanted, the squad Ancelotti inherited has much less aging dead wood that needs to be sorted out than it did 2 years ago although there's still a significant number of them.

Fair play to Derby knocking out Palace. 

Most headlines now use 'Rooney's Derby', just like they did with 'Lampard's Derby'. Says something about that club.. it's own name can so easily become a vehicle for something else. No personality.

Pleased with the team sheet, clean sheet and the performance. We fielded a pretty strong team (nine changes to the usual team) while Forest where pretty mixed as well. Scored two goals defended okay, VAR was used twice both for Forest for a penalty decision and a goal. The second decision the goal was a obvious offside, the first decision was again using the fucking margins. The shirt we wore was so nice, wonder why Nike doesn't become more creative and stops creating template kits for every team. Hope for a good tie in the 4th round.

8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Just checking Everton’s spending over the last few years online. Understandably, these figures could be wrong but I imagine they’re in the same ball park as what they’ve actually paid and it’s actually shocking how poor they’ve been in the transfer market. 

I feel for this Moshiri a tiny bit. He’s seemingly being taken for a mug but alleged “football people” and has poured millions down the drain on some rubbish based on the recommendations of these people. 

For what they spent on players, they should never have been having Marco Silva as a manager and someone like Carlo Ancelotti should have been top of their list after Koeman went. 

Pickford seems to get away with a lot. £30m. He's terrible. Yes, they may have bigger problems than him but he's not a keeper that's going to get them to where they want to be. He's a bottom half keeper

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Pickford seems to get away with a lot. £30m. He's terrible. Yes, they may have bigger problems than him but he's not a keeper that's going to get them to where they want to be. He's a bottom half keeper

Still not having this. Bottom half keeper is just a daft shout. You forget how utterly average most bottom half keepers are. You're not seriously saying you'd have someone like Ben Foster or Dubravka instead. Pickford makes about 3-4 real clangers a season, obviously because it's Everton it's almost guaranteed that one of these comes in a derby game, but he wins us many more points through good shot stopping than he loses us with his brain farts. I forgive you for having this impression though as, like with every England number one in my lifetime, every mistake he makes gets 20x more coverage than anything he does. Joe Hart had his career absolutely ruined by being England number one and having that target on his back.

There must be one of our defensive players who's actually not as shit as general rhetoric seems to suggest. Pickford is apparently terrible, Digne is over-rated, Holgate is a Championship player, Zouma was raw and a liability when we had him, Mina is out of his depth, yet we've had amongst the best defensive numbers in the league in the last couple of years when those players have been at the club. Something doesn't add up really, does it? It's actually bizarre the opinions some people come up with when they don't watch players every week. Michael Keane is by far our worst defensive player yet he gets the least flack out of all of them. Coleman is also clearly past it yet I never hear a bad word about him outside the club. Pickford and Mina are actually good more often than not and get pelters. Really baffling.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Still not having this. Bottom half keeper is just a daft shout. You forget how utterly average most bottom half keepers are. You're not seriously saying you'd have someone like Ben Foster or Dubravka instead. Pickford makes about 3-4 real clangers a season, obviously because it's Everton it's almost guaranteed that one of these comes in a derby game, but he wins us many more points through good shot stopping than he loses us with his brain farts. I forgive you for having this impression though as, like with every England number one in my lifetime, every mistake he makes gets 20x more coverage than anything he does. Joe Hart had his career absolutely ruined by being England number one and having that target on his back.

There must be one of our defensive players who's actually not as shit as general rhetoric seems to suggest. Pickford is apparently terrible, Digne is over-rated, Holgate is a Championship player, Zouma was raw and a liability when we had him, Mina is out of his depth, yet we've had amongst the best defensive numbers in the league in the last couple of years when those players have been at the club. Something doesn't add up really, does it? It's actually bizarre the opinions some people come up with when they don't watch players every week. Michael Keane is by far our worst defensive player yet he gets the least flack out of all of them. Coleman is also clearly past it yet I never hear a bad word about him outside the club. Pickford and Mina are actually good more often than not and get pelters. Really baffling.

I'm not saying I'd have them instead but he's in and around that bracket with them. Reminds me very much of a goalkeeper we signed from Sunderland. Pull off a few saves that look great for the cameras but he lets in so many that he should save. There were loads of ours that wouldn't have Mignolet was rubbish for a while. I'm sure once Ancelotti starts sorting other areas of the side you lot will realise that he's costing you more than you think now

I don't have any real opinion on Holgate, not seen enough of him. Digne is a good player, there's no doubt he's overrated by your lot though. Mina and Keane are rubbish though

Arsenal Leeds tonight.

We are going to be resting a few. Injuries have also played a part sadly but we have to think about Sheffield Wednesday next week.

Casilla will be benched. Helder Costa who is in good nick, Liam Cooper the captain and Stuart Dallas, having the season of his life. Chief creator, Pablo Hernadez is out for the month.

There will be 2 young lad's making their debut tonight. The keeper Messlier and Robbie Gotts. There could be at least one more. Looking forward to seeing Gotts especially.

I hope we will still be dangerous and offer the neutral a good game. I never wish for us to lose and I know come kick off, I'll be wanting us to win.

Arsenal will probably play strong I'd have thought. They need to gain momentum, they haven't had the winning feeling much, so I expect a strongish side minus Auba and maybe one or two others.

Three weeks ago I'd have seriously fancied us regardless of the team. Now, I think we're playing them at the worst possible time, straight after a morale boosting win.

Arsenal 2-1 Leeds 

Main thing is we put on a good effort for the 8 or 9k travelling down. Lots of hype around Bielsa at Leeds by neutrals but many wouldnt have watched us play so hopefully we can show what we are about and why we would be a good addition to the PL next year.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Arsenal Leeds tonight.

We are going to be resting a few. Injuries have also played a part sadly but we have to think about Sheffield Wednesday next week.

Casilla will be benched. Helder Costa who is in good nick, Liam Cooper the captain and Stuart Dallas, having the season of his life. Chief creator, Pablo Hernadez is out for the month.

There will be 2 young lad's making their debut tonight. The keeper Messlier and Robbie Gotts. There could be at least one more. Looking forward to seeing Gotts especially.

I hope we will still be dangerous and offer the neutral a good game. I never wish for us to lose and I know come kick off, I'll be wanting us to win.

Arsenal will probably play strong I'd have thought. They need to gain momentum, they haven't had the winning feeling much, so I expect a strongish side minus Auba and maybe one or two others.

Three weeks ago I'd have seriously fancied us regardless of the team. Now, I think we're playing them at the worst possible time, straight after a morale boosting win.

Arsenal 2-1 Leeds 

Main thing is we put on a good effort for the 8 or 9k travelling down. Lots of hype around Bielsa at Leeds by neutrals but many wouldnt have watched us play so hopefully we can show what we are about and why we would be a good addition to the PL next year.

Good luck tonight. I actually think Aubameyang will play - you mention momentum and him playing (and scoring) gives them that. They appear to struggle for goals without him.

I think Arsenal fans would want him to play and given their next game isn't til the weekend again I see no reason to rest him. I'd say Arteta knows the value of the FA Cup to Arsenal fans seeing as they've got nothing else going for them (I don't think they'll win the Europa League). 

As for your lot (in bold) are they all the players missing?! 

Sigurdsson was made to be the creative focal point for a relegation batting side. He's a good player but he stylistically doesn't belong anywhere near a good side. Spending so much on him is one of the most horrific decisions I've seen in a while, especially since it would take an equally horrific decision from someone else for Everton to recoup anything from him. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

Sigurdsson was made to be the creative focal point for a relegation batting side. He's a good player but he stylistically doesn't belong anywhere near a good side. Spending so much on him is one of the most horrific decisions I've seen in a while, especially since it would take an equally horrific decision from someone else for Everton to recoup anything from him. 

I really think with Sigurdsson that it's as simple as him being a technically strong player whose legs are starting to fade after he had no pace in the first place. You can't be a midfielder and play like that these days. Maybe half a dozen years ago you'd be fine but to compete in the Premier League nowadays you have to be a physical specimen. It's been increasingly clear this season that when Silva was playing two deeper midfielders and Sigurdsson as a number 10, we managed to get the best out of him as he was used as a luxury player while Gueye and Gomes were doing the midfield work of three players between them. With Gueye gone, Gomes has been partnered by either Schneiderlin or Davies for most of the season who can't fill Gueye's boots. Then since Gomes got injured we've changed shape a bunch of times. Having Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin as part of a two man midfield has to be the absolute nadir of things we've tried out.I sympathise with our management though. Gbamin and Gomes picked up freak injuries, Iwobi has done his hamstring and Davies has played non-stop, often out of position, throughout the Christmas period and has apparently been taking injections to carry on. We've had no choice but to play that midfield yesterday, but it goes to show that there's a reason Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin ended up at Everton when they should have been entering their peak years.

I thought £45m was way too much for Sigurdsson at the time, but I took it back over time. He bagged 13 league goals last season to be fair to him. He hasn't justified the fee and as we watch the end of his career at this level unfold in front of us, he clearly won't pay that £45m back, but the scale of how poor of a transfer it was still doesn't fall into the same league as the Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Walcott, Tosun, Sandro category in my opinion.

• Subscriber

We were in for Sigurdsson as well at the time, I was keen on the idea but absolutely not for anything more than thirty (and even that's pushing it somewhat) so I wasn't unhappy to see Everton get him instead. Selling Gueye's backfired really even though I do get why it happened.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived