talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Club's Worst XI of the Decade

football forum

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Don't feel like Sahin got a fair go here and was only here half a season. Charlie Adam on the other hand was plodding around in our midfield for a full season in 2011/12. I think you could make a case for a few more expensive mistakes such as Downing, Balotelli for example

It was hard to leave our Downing, Adam and Balotelli tbh. Put Sahin in because he was so unsuited for about our league as any central midfielder we’ve ever had, imo

37 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Remember that flying volley Coates scored back in 2012 or something.

xD yeah, what a crazy goal. Shame how he panned out really.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
20 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

NOW WE"RE FUCKING TALKING. Mine have to have played at least 20 games. 

----------------------------------------Mielitz---------------------------------------
Fritz----------------Lukimya------------------Wolfe--------------Schmitz
------------Felix Kroos---------Makiadi--------Gondorf------------------
Johannsen---------------------Akpala----------------------------Hajirovic

@nudge how we lookin?

Pretty much perfect. I know you said at least 20 games but I'd still replace Kroos with Yatabaré; he was a fucking donkey and probably one of the worst footballers I've ever seen play haha. We always disagreed re Fritz as well. 

Some of the names really bring back some bad memories xD 

18 minutes ago, nudge said:

Pretty much perfect. I know you said at least 20 games but I'd still replace Kroos with Yatabaré; he was a fucking donkey and probably one of the worst footballers I've ever seen play haha. We always disagreed re Fritz as well. 

Some of the names really bring back some bad memories xD 

Fritz was great pre 2010, hence his national team work. Decidedly mediocre for about a season and a half in 2011-12 then utter garbage and a liability after that . This is my official stance.

Wolf, Elia, Silvestre, Wesley and a few others are lucky not to be on here. 

• Subscriber

I've been giving this a think and I wanted to go with actual players rather than just randoms who made a smattering of appearances.

Stekelenburg

Martina Alcaraz Williams Oviedo

McGeady Klaassen Besic Bolasie

Sandro Niasse

Definitely been harsh on a couple of players but some rationale:

Goalkeepers, obviously it isn't going to be Howard or Pickford which leaves you either Robles or Stekelenburg. Robles was actually a decent bottom-half goalkeeper for the Premier League but nothing more which is why he got sold. Stekelenburg is known as 'the hologram' by sections of our fanbase apart from that game he saved two penalties at the Etihad.

Full backs, seeing as Coleman and Baines were our full backs going back to 2010, this leaves you with a selection of Hibbert, Digne, Oviedo and Martina so the choice is obvious.

Centre backs, Alcaraz was an atrocious Martinez signing who I believe was past 30 when he was brought in. Williams probably hasn't been our actual other worst centre half in the 2010s but he remains a symbol of the Ronald "spend stupid money on a bunch of 27-30 year olds, get two or three good years out of them then abandon ship when a better offer, hopefully Barcelona comes along" Koeman era. I can't really justify putting Heitinga, Jagielka, Zouma, Distin or any of our current centre backs who haven't been around long instead. Pennington is worth a shout but hasn't really played enough to count in my opinion. Funes Mori can have an honourable mention but he actually showed signs of competence at times.

Midfield, I initially included Schneiderlin for similar reasons to Williams but it would have been unfair so I've gone for Besic instead. Besic got pretty good reports from our fans a lot of the time, but I think it was because he was so cheap. Ultimately, he was almost always injured and when fit, not really good enough anyway. Klaassen was an easy pick. Other considerations here were Darron Gibson and Tom Cleverley. In fact I'd probably put Cleverley instead of Besic on second thoughts but now I can't be arsed rewriting the rest of this paragraph.

Wingers, McGeady had a few moments in his first season but is ultimately a horrid footballer and is playing in League One now for a reason. Bolasie has obviously been a good player at times but he absolutely stank whenever he put on an Everton shirt, even before his injury. There are a few more contenders here. Mirallas could be absolutely diabolical at times but had enough good occasions to weigh that out on the other side.

Attackers, Sandro Ramirez is self-explanatory, he scored a month or two back for the first time in over two years or something. Amazing that we were fighting Barcelona for him. Niasse is a bit harsh because he's had a few cult hero moments but his lack of basic footballing ability put paid to Martinez' Everton career and ultimately he isn't very good. Arouna Kone, Enner Valencia, Victor Anichebe, Nikica Jelavic and incredibly Samuel Eto'o most of all narrowly miss out on this last position.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fritz was great pre 2010, hence his national team work. Decidedly mediocre for about a season and a half in 2011-12 then utter garbage and a liability after that . This is my official stance.

Wolf, Elia, Silvestre, Wesley and a few others are lucky not to be on here. 

Ekici deserves a place there as well. 

Also forgot to put it in my previous reply - watching Lukas fucking Schmitz play in Europa League for WAC this season was really mindblowing (and it did hurt a bit too). 

I'm surprised by the Chelsea fans picking Courtois over Kepa, to be honest. I thought he was easily better until he decided he'd had enough of Chelsea

A bit like @RandoEFC I think it's cheating a bit to have people in there who were only ever on the very fringes. With that in mind:

Bogdan

Manquillo Coates Kyrgiakos Konchesky

Adam Poulsen Spearing

Markovic

Aspas Lambert

I wanted to have Johnson and Mignolet in there because they played so many games while being totally fucking dreadful, and Carroll for the fee, but the players in there were just so bad.

34 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I've been giving this a think and I wanted to go with actual players rather than just randoms who made a smattering of appearances.

Stekelenburg

Martina Alcaraz Williams Oviedo

McGeady Klaassen Besic Bolasie

Sandro Niasse

Definitely been harsh on a couple of players but some rationale:

Goalkeepers, obviously it isn't going to be Howard or Pickford which leaves you either Robles or Stekelenburg. Robles was actually a decent bottom-half goalkeeper for the Premier League but nothing more which is why he got sold. Stekelenburg is known as 'the hologram' by sections of our fanbase apart from that game he saved two penalties at the Etihad.

Full backs, seeing as Coleman and Baines were our full backs going back to 2010, this leaves you with a selection of Hibbert, Digne, Oviedo and Martina so the choice is obvious.

Centre backs, Alcaraz was an atrocious Martinez signing who I believe was past 30 when he was brought in. Williams probably hasn't been our actual other worst centre half in the 2010s but he remains a symbol of the Ronald "spend stupid money on a bunch of 27-30 year olds, get two or three good years out of them then abandon ship when a better offer, hopefully Barcelona comes along" Koeman era. I can't really justify putting Heitinga, Jagielka, Zouma, Distin or any of our current centre backs who haven't been around long instead. Pennington is worth a shout but hasn't really played enough to count in my opinion. Funes Mori can have an honourable mention but he actually showed signs of competence at times.

Midfield, I initially included Schneiderlin for similar reasons to Williams but it would have been unfair so I've gone for Besic instead. Besic got pretty good reports from our fans a lot of the time, but I think it was because he was so cheap. Ultimately, he was almost always injured and when fit, not really good enough anyway. Klaassen was an easy pick. Other considerations here were Darron Gibson and Tom Cleverley. In fact I'd probably put Cleverley instead of Besic on second thoughts but now I can't be arsed rewriting the rest of this paragraph.

Wingers, McGeady had a few moments in his first season but is ultimately a horrid footballer and is playing in League One now for a reason. Bolasie has obviously been a good player at times but he absolutely stank whenever he put on an Everton shirt, even before his injury. There are a few more contenders here. Mirallas could be absolutely diabolical at times but had enough good occasions to weigh that out on the other side.

Attackers, Sandro Ramirez is self-explanatory, he scored a month or two back for the first time in over two years or something. Amazing that we were fighting Barcelona for him. Niasse is a bit harsh because he's had a few cult hero moments but his lack of basic footballing ability put paid to Martinez' Everton career and ultimately he isn't very good. Arouna Kone, Enner Valencia, Victor Anichebe, Nikica Jelavic and incredibly Samuel Eto'o most of all narrowly miss out on this last position.

When the fuck did Everton have McGeady?! How did I completely miss that signing. I see a lot of familiar faces, but I don't remember McGeady at all. I think I agree with your revised midfield (with Cleverly in instead of Besic)… because I do remember Cleverly playing for Everton and I do remember him being awful.

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm surprised by the Chelsea fans picking Courtois over Kepa, to be honest. I thought he was easily better until he decided he'd had enough of Chelsea

A bit like @RandoEFC I think it's cheating a bit to have people in there who were only ever on the very fringes. With that in mind:

Bogdan

Adam Poulsen Spearing

Markovic

Aspas Lambert

I wanted to have Johnson and Mignolet in there because they played so many games while being totally fucking dreadful, and Carroll for the fee, but the players in there were just so bad.

I feel for Aspas a bit tbh. He never really got much of a look in the season he was with us... what with Sturridge being relatively injury free that year and Suarez being Suarez.

But then I remember that corner he took and I think "yeah he was fucking shite for us."

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

When the fuck did Everton have McGeady?! How did I completely miss that signing. I see a lot of familiar faces, but I don't remember McGeady at all. I think I agree with your revised midfield (with Cleverly in instead of Besic)… because I do remember Cleverly playing for Everton and I do remember him being awful.

Yeah we signed McGeady during a January window I think on a free transfer possibly. The only specific memory I have of him is I'm pretty sure he scored against Leicester on the infamous "win or close the club down" opening day match at their place. Wasnt too long before he got on a bus to Sunderland with Oviedo and Gibson.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Ekici deserves a place there as well. 

Also forgot to put it in my previous reply - watching Lukas fucking Schmitz play in Europa League for WAC this season was really mindblowing (and it did hurt a bit too). 

Boesnich or whatever his name was was fucking dire for us but solid at Leverkusen if I recall correctly. Maybe it's just Bremen hahahaha

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Boesnich or whatever his name was was fucking dire for us but solid at Leverkusen if I recall correctly. Maybe it's just Bremen hahahaha

Yeah we're just a car crash of a club haha.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah we signed McGeady during a January window I think on a free transfer possibly. The only specific memory I have of him is I'm pretty sure he scored against Leicester on the infamous "win or close the club down" opening day match at their place. Wasnt too long before he got on a bus to Sunderland with Oviedo and Gibson.

That was a great finish as well. Best goal that had been scored against us in a while. Felt like 'welcome to the Premier League'.

8 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Bogdan

Adam Poulsen Spearing

Markovic

Aspas Lambert

Bogdan only played about two games didn't he?

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Bogdan only played about two games didn't he?

Just looked it up and you're right. I thought it was more than that, but I put him in because there was that (apparently very brief) period where he was actually picked over Mignolet, so I'd class him as more than a fringe player

18 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Just looked it up and you're right. I thought it was more than that, but I put him in because there was that (apparently very brief) period where he was actually picked over Mignolet, so I'd class him as more than a fringe player

Yeah I remember him playing at Watford and he was awful, think we got beat 3-0 in one of Klopp's early games

Archived