talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

"We the human species, we are so intelligent and do such astonishing things. We can fly to the moon, but we still do stupid things". Well said. 

I'm gonna watch it with expectancy hoping it's great because it's definitely being hyped up enough.  My favourite of these types of films remains being Saving Private Ryan without going into the classics of the past.

Obviously as Honey said...  No Americans in this one though! xD

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That good!

Why?

I really can't wait to see it.

I don't wanna spoil anything for anyone, but it's the most Christopher Nolan film and is a constant ride.

I watched it on 70mm, don't know the quality difference between digital but it was superb

First, of all it doesn't do too much flag-waving nonsense - there is one moment of slight cheesiness imo that gets hinted to be coming throughout the end of the film, but by the time it comes you feel the film has earned it. Its pretty realistic about the fact that the operation was a massive loss, only redeemed by the fact that it could have been worse. Its also realistic about how for most men, the operation was basically waiting around, and hoping that you don't get killed by an enemy you can't even see, never mind fight back against.

Its not mindless heroics at all. The more sympathetic British characters do some things out of fear and desperation - the more arrogant and abrasive ones show moments of humanity. The Germans aren't treated sympathetically, but they also aren't demonised. If anything the enemy action in the film comes off more like a force of nature. Its a pretty morally distant treatment.

And finally, the film is technically amazing. For the first time I felt almost sickened with dread in the cinema. The tension is insane. I wan't to watch it again, just to that I can appreciate it without feeling nervous all the time.

Watched it today.

I am going to go against popular opinion but to me, this was Nolan's weakest movie. And the biggest reason for that was the nonlinear narrative, which I believe was completely unnecessary. It ends up confusing you for few seconds before you figure out the action. But worse, it robs you from caring about the characters. It felt heavily disjointed. There was no need for that.

Nolan's goal was to make us go through the anguish and desperation faced by the soldiers, but because of the disjointed narrative you don't, apart from few scenes.

Technically this is a superior movie. Though at Nolan's budget and today's technology, it's hardly an achievement. The sound effects, however, are brilliant - though there is a very good possibility they might rip apart your ears.

Of the acting, Mark Rylance was amazing, as were Whitehead, Barnard and Styles(yes, one direction bloke can act). Rest apart from Branagh had very little to show.

The end Churchill bit was cheesy as fuck. 

Decent flick, but I won't have it in my top ten World War movies. 

6 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Watched it today.

I am going to go against popular opinion but to me, this was Nolan's weakest movie. And the biggest reason for that was the nonlinear narrative, which I believe was completely unnecessary. It ends up confusing you for few seconds before you figure out the action. But worse, it robs you from caring about the characters. It felt heavily disjointed. There was no need for that.

Nolan's goal was to make us go through the anguish and desperation faced by the soldiers, but because of the disjointed narrative you don't, apart from few scenes.

Technically this is a superior movie. Though at Nolan's budget and today's technology, it's hardly an achievement. The sound effects, however, are brilliant - though there is a very good possibility they might rip apart your ears.

Of the acting, Mark Rylance was amazing, as were Whitehead, Barnard and Styles(yes, one direction bloke can act). Rest apart from Branagh had very little to show.

Interesting...

Thanks for that.

What are your top 10 war movies out of interest?

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Interesting...

Thanks for that.

What are your top 10 war movies out of interest?

Number 1 is The Great Escape, after that in no particular order.

Guns of Navarone, The bridge over river kwai, dirty dozen, inglorious basterds, das boot, downfall, the longest day, the pianist, the big red one, where eagles dare, saving private Ryan, etc.

Looks like I named more than ten, and I am pretty certain I have forgotten a couple.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Guns of Navarone, The bridge over river kwai, dirty dozen, inglorious basterds, das boot, downfall, the longest day, the pianist, the big red one, where eagles dare, saving private Ryan, etc.

Looks like I named more than ten, and I am pretty certain I have forgotten a couple.

No Thin Red Line?...   crying.gif

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Watched it today.

For me the nonlinear narrative is what made it so good, horses for courses I guess

2 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

The Longest Day is absolutely brilliant and an incredible star studded cast.  Another one I love even though it's not the greatest of movies where acting is concerned is Escape To Victory.  I absolutely adore it.

Most of those you've written I also love.  But my favourite war movie is Saving Private Ryan...  It shocked me when I first went to see it in the cinema especially the start.

I thought they handled the Churchill bit pretty well.

The way it was handled showed that despite certain realities of the military situation, there was an undeniable morale-boosting effect of the evacuation, that maybe did even extend past rationality. 

For example:

the shot of Tom Hardy surrendering to the Germans occurs exactly on the point where the line "we shall never surrender" is said. Nolan was quite clearly trying to mix a realistic view, with how people felt at that time.

The best part of 100,000 British troops had still surrendered, we were pretty much admitting that the French were on their own now, and at that point, with Britain and the Commonwealth the only powers left standing against Germany, there didn't seem to be any realistic way of winning the war. Despite all that, the evacuation going better than he expected was at least something positive for people to cling to. 

I go to see it on August 1st. I hope they don't just cut off the Churchill speech at never surrender because Churchill was talking about the British Empire being so vast it would never surrender even if the island of Britain was to fall to Hitler.

Archived