talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it today and I thought it was absolutely incredible. The timeline thing was amazing, and seeing it synching at the end was very satisfying and Nolan-esque. The sound design was sooooo good as well. Tom Hardy was a total bad ass until the very end. Great role for him. Oh and it's funny that they still managed to get Michael Caine in there :D 

11 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Saw it today and I thought it was absolutely incredible. The timeline thing was amazing, and seeing it synching at the end was very satisfying and Nolan-esque. The sound design was sooooo good as well. Tom Hardy was a total bad ass until the very end. Great role for him. Oh and it's funny that they still managed to get Michael Caine in there :D 

?? Where was he??

Thought it was a one of a kind movie. From the very first minute till the end of the film, it is nonstop suspense. Always anticipating for something to happen which makes the film very very very quick. Fastest two hours of my life. 

Harry Styles should ditch music. Thought he was very good in this film. 

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Thought that was Churchill? xD

O.o

Oh and another thing I thought was remarkable about this film was Hans Zimmer's soundtrack. It was more of a complementary sound effect than a real soundtrack. Very subtle but fitting. 

23 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

O.o

Oh and another thing I thought was remarkable about this film was Hans Zimmer's soundtrack. It was more of a complementary sound effect than a real soundtrack. Very subtle but fitting. 

Yeah honestly thought that was supposed to be Churchill. Have to see it a second time 

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Cicero said:

?? Where was he??

Thought it was a one of a kind movie. From the very first minute till the end of the film, it is nonstop suspense. Always anticipating for something to happen which makes the film very very very quick. Fastest two hours of my life. 

Harry Styles should ditch music. Thought he was very good in this film. 

I just saw it last night too. Pretty much edge of your seat suspense the entire time. The will to survive from the two kids was chilling. Hardy was great as Tsubs mentions, i loved the air scenes and im glad i watched it in theatres for the big sound to go with it.

If you havent seen it yet or are on the fences do yourself a favour and go watch it, its something special.

6 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Hardy was great as Tsubs mentions, i loved the air scenes and im glad i watched it in theatres for the big sound to go with it.

Indeed. 

The scenes when he was out of fuel and just gliding, and then glided past the cheering soldiers was just so great. And then when he landed his plane and set it on fire, that was just such a beautifully shot scene. Reminded me of Terrence Malick movies with the natural lightning and all that. Very very beautiful.

Can't wait to have it on BluRay and watch it again. But as you said, the cinema experience was probably the best because of the sound. I read about some war veterans who saw it and they said the movie was great, but a lot louder than the actual war they were in :D 

Fantastic film, enjoyed it from start to finish. I honestly cannot comprehend the reviews of this film that attack its 'lack of diversity' and lack of 'criticism' against Nazi Germany and the holocaust. I shit you not, I read a Washington Post review that was upset about the lack of mention of Auschwitz and likened another part of the film to the American slavery. People are nuts! Another (The Guardian?) said the film was a Brexiter rompfest that white-washed the roles of Empire soldiers in the British army, they were upset that the several hundred Empire soldiers out of 400,000 soldiers weren't portrayed in the film.

• Subscriber

Most film critics just pick at whatever pops into their head when they watch films. A lot of people are stupid enough to think that just because they criticised something that means they know what they're talking about. 

There were close to 20 000 colonial soldiers at Dunkirk, out of roughly 400 000, so I have no problem with the lack of 'ethnic' soldiers portrayed in the film. However, the pilot Hardy was portraying was a Kiwi of all things. Could have at least had him bang on a kiwi accent, if not use a kiwi actor.

Russell Crowe in man of steel was fitter than you will be in your life. Also there are other kiwi actors, also Hardy would have been fine had the director asked him to bung on an accent. It's just weird that a movie that is so historically accurate just chooses to ignore a pretty relevant detail.

30 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

I am going tomorrow but in a very small cinema, I don't know if that will be better or worse considering everyone says this is all about sound effects.

Not at all, just only enhances the experience. 

It's a one of a kind film that displays a plot with nonstop suspense. I can guarantee you from the very first minute to the end, you will be on the edge of you seat and wondering where the 2 hours went. Already planning on seeing it again on Monday in the cinema. 

Just been to see it. It starts brilliantly, the tension in the first 20 minutes puts your heart in your mouth.

However by about half way all of the main characters are surviving these scenes so it becomes predictable and the tension subsides. 

It gets 8.5 on IMDB, I would probably give it an 8. 

Not bloody, compelling or grandiose enough for me.

It's a movie about many people who are trapped in a beach getting rescued, and that's about everything you get as a viewer... and you get it in small scale.

My favourite character was pilot #3 who barely edged out soldier #27 in terms of character development.

It's technically too masterful and the acting is too top notch to get a review lower than 7, so that's what I'm giving it.

I love all of his work so this is Nolan's worst effort so far imo. Doubt it will go down as a classic.

• 4 weeks later...

Evidently some of you lot need spoon feeding your characterisation, the best character was the French guy that didn't say anything until finally saying he was French. He was scared, wary, shocked, considerate, tense, determined and much more, and I got that without him saying a damn thing. It's masterful directing and masterful acting that when he died you thought "ah fuck no". I think if you can't take that from this film, maybe you should watch light fluffy stuff like Avengers assemble. 

On the whole it's visually stunning and gripping from word go, Nolan's best film by a mile. 

Archived