talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

One club player

football forum

Think we had a similar thread earlier, how realistic is it for a player in this modern football generation to be a one club player? With all the loans for the youth etc.

For the current Premier League teams these are the one club players (feel free to add more if i missed some or if your club isn't in the Premier League)

Note if a player is loaned he isn't a one club player (and it doesn't matter if he was BIG for that club)

Arsenal - Tony Adams

Aston Villa - Ernie Callaghan, Johnny Dixon, Billy George, Harry Parkes, Tommy Smart, Billy Walker

Bournemouth - None

Brighton - Steve Burtenshaw

Burnley - Jimmy Adamson, John Angus, George Bray, Jerry Dawson, Brian Miller

Chelsea - Tommy Law, Ken Shellito

Crystal Palace - Terry Long

Everton - Tony Hibbert, TE Jones, Brian Labone, Ted Sagar

Leicester City - Sep Smith

Liverpool - Gerry Byrne, Jamie Carragher, Ray Lambert, Billy Liddell, Donald McKinlay, Ronnie Moran, Bob Paisley, Eddie Spicer

Manchester City - Paul Lake, Glyn Pardoe, Fred Tilson

Manchester United - Dick Duckworth, Bill Foulkes, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Paul Scholes

Newcastle - Jack Carr, Frank Hudspeth

Norwich - None

Sheffield United - Alan Hodgkinson, Joe Shaw, Dane Whitehouse

Southampton - Nick Holmes, Bert Shelley

Tottenham - Ron Henry, Ledley King, Bill Nicholson

Watford - Jim Lewis, Arther Woodward

West Ham - Jim Barrett, Ronnie Boyce

Wolverhampton Wanderers - Stan Cullis, Peter Knowles, Billy Wright

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Southampton - Nick Holmes, Bert Shelley

What about the great Matt Le Tissier 'Le Tis' or 'The God' as the Saints supporters called him, other than that all I can think of and I had to check and make sure are...

1. Matt Le Tissier was the best one for me, even SAF tried to get him from the old Dell but he would not budge, loved watching that guy playing :x
  2. Paul Scholes
  3. Tony Adams
  4. Ryan Giggs
  5. Jamie Carragher

I will leave the European & World one's to you experts, I would not have a clue.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think him and Philipp Bargfrede are the only currently active one-club-men in the Bundesliga :o 

It is kind of funny or odd maybe but its such a rarity in Sport in general now let alone football. Even for Müller theres been tons of speculation over the last few years about moving on. Definitely sad in a way that its like this.

• Subscriber

I reckon Hamza Choudhury may become one for us. I think he's good enough to stay a part of our squad but not good enough for anyone to lob the money they'd need to sign him at us.

14 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

What about the great Matt Le Tissier 'Le Tis' or 'The God' as the Saints supporters called him, other than that all I can think of and I had to check and make sure are...

1. Matt Le Tissier was the best one for me, even SAF tried to get him from the old Dell but he would not budge, loved watching that guy playing :x
  2. Paul Scholes
  3. Tony Adams
  4. Ryan Giggs
  5. Jamie Carragher

I will leave the European & World one's to you experts, I would not have a clue.

Le Tissier played for two more clubs after Southampton.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, True Blue said:

Le Tissier played for two more clubs after Southampton.

True, Eastleigh & Guernsey, non-league clubs, but Paul Scholes played one game for his son's team after Man United, Royton Town then Bill Nicholson played a game for North Fleet (Ebbs Fleet FC), Stan Cullis played for Gillingham as a wartime guest and Billy George played for Trowbridge Town before he went to Villa.

But I still class the likes of LeTis and Scholes as one man clubs in the 60 eras as the latter as they came to the clubs as youth players, but I won't argue with you as you probably know better than me. :D  

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

True, Eastleigh & Guernsey, non-league clubs, but Paul Scholes played one game for his son's team after Man United, Royton Town then Bill Nicholson played a game for North Fleet (Ebbs Fleet FC), Stan Cullis played for Gillingham as a wartime guest and Billy George played for Trowbridge Town before he went to Villa.

But I still class the likes of LeTis and Scholes as one man clubs in the 60 eras as the latter as they came to the clubs as youth players, but I won't argue with you as you probably know better than me. :D  

I would agree that Le Tissier isn't a one club player solely because he made 17 appearances for Eastleigh. I think the one game for Guernsey would be excusable however.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.35b70fc4556a5f57a9653ecb7e975fce.png

download.thumb.png.760fc6eace3decc2a91f07f74eaecd23.png

Matt Le Tissier handed 'One Club Man' award by Athletic Bilbao after brilliant Southampton career

Le Tissier played for Southampton from 1986 to 2002

Wednesday 29 April 2015 10:20 

Le-Tissier.jpg?w968

Former Southampton forward Matt Le Tissier has bizarrely been awarded by Spanish Premier Division club Athletic Bilbao.

The 46-year-old, who criminally only received eight England caps in a brilliant career, was the first player to receive the "One Club Man Award" from the Basque club.

Le Tissier played for the South Coast club from 1986 to 2002, playing more than 500 matches. The award was recently introduced to honour players who have spent their entire careers with one team.

Le Tissier flew over to attend the Basque derby between Athletic and Real Sociedad and was introduced to the San Mames crowd at half-time.

"It certainly was a big surprise and a very pleasant one too," he told Athletic's official website. "I am incredibly proud to be the first to receive this award.

"My main reason (for staying at Southampton) was my personal happiness and contentment, something which I have always put first among other things.

"That and the fact that I felt a loyalty to pay back Southampton for giving me the chance to achieve my dreams."

Le Tissier scored 209 goals during a 16-year career with the Saints before retiring in 2002.

"For us, what we value most are your (Le Tissier's) values and principles, your loyalty to the same club during your entire career," Athletic said on their website.

"We see ourselves very much reflected in this value and in these principles. For this reason, it is a true honour for us to give you our first One-Club Man Award. This way you will always be part of our history."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/matt-le-tissier-handed-one-club-man-award-by-athletic-bilbao-after-brilliant-southampton-career-10211895.html

6 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

I still sort of class Xavi, Iniesta and Gerrard as one. They simply just retired in another country is how I see it. It was either that, for a quick bit of cash to end their career, or hang up their boots. They gave the whole of the best of their career to one club, then moved to a rich country, with semi-professional leagues in order to retire and because they still love to play football, they just don't feel as though they had enough anymore for the top level. It's pretty much just the new way of retiring now. Well, I say new, but if we go all the way back to the 70s, Pele himself retired out in the states after spending the whole of his career at Santos.

On paper they obviously won't go down as one club men anymore, but I find them being equally as special as one. I mean, Gerrard could have moved to any club in the world from Liverpool, but he stayed there and gave them the whole of his career until he felt he could no longer offer anything else.

Also John Terry might have played a few games on loan at Forest and then moved to Villa, when in the Championship, to end his career, but I would regard him as being equally as special as any one club man to his club. He must have spent like 20 years there.

Franco Baresi (AC Milan)

Klaus Augenthaler (Bayern Munich)

Rudiger Vollborn (Bayer Leverkusen)

Christian Fiedler (Hertha Berlin)

Michael Zorc (Dortmund)

Lars Ricken (Dortmund)

Christian Hochstatter (Gladbach)

Hilmar Weilandt (Hansa Rostock)

Pavel Verbir (FK Teplice)

Kim Daugaard (Brondby)

Eric Sikora (Lens)

Ralf Bucher (Unterhaching)